Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 10:36 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Car names don't mean anything, enthusiast are looking at the car not the name, the others will buy whatever they can get their hands on and what fits into the budget.
Exactly.. this whole G37 to Q50 name change is a non-issue. It won't hurt Infiniti. It might even help bring more traffic into the showrooms, because not only is it a brand new model, but it also has a brand new name, so there's some appeal there. Anyone about to end their lease on a G37 and get into another G will be quickly informed (if they weren't already aware) that the Q50 is the successor to the G.
Old 06-30-13, 12:00 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I am eager to see a comparison test between the new Lexus IS350 F sport, Infiniti Q50, BMW 335i, Cadillac ATS 3.6, and Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport.
Old 06-30-13, 12:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Doors were nicely sculpted and good padding

HEY LEXUS LOOK... A SUNGLASS HOLDER...

Much better quality of materials, noticeable from second gen

Kinda unappealing badging IMO / tacky placement

Old 06-30-13, 12:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW. I didn't think they hit the lots until September. Then again they said they same thing about the 1st gen G35 and I got mine in late June of 02 and it was supposed to an 03 model released in September of 02. Thanks for sharing the pics. I wonder if I can go down and sit in one at my local dealer
Old 06-30-13, 04:16 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
good to know. I wil look when I go in next. The bottom line is that I would wager that the rear leg room in the Q50 will be better. This would be based on the last 2 generations G35/37 and the last 2 generations IS. In the end you never really know
You are probably right in that the Q50 might well be class leading in rear seating ( compared to the current 3 series, Audi A5, C-class and new IS) since its internal and external dimensions are tweener status in between the compact and mid-size luxury segment

But my point still stands : rear seating is no longer a deal killer in the new IS as compared to the previous gen IS. The new IS is mid-pack or near top-of-the-range for rear-seating considering the competition : 3 series, C-class, A4 and Q50.
Old 06-30-13, 12:47 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at real life pix, the car has already lost some of its luster for me. I hope it looks better when I see it in person, but those dealer shots above makes the car less intriguing for me aesthetically. The dead-on front and dead-on rear shots are blahhhhh, grille looks so big and the rear is kinda bland.
Old 06-30-13, 04:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The current generation G is very cheap inside. This one doesn't look much better.

For the record, the first generation G35 was plain out terrible inside and out, the quality of materials and paint job were Chrysler grade.
Old 06-30-13, 04:20 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
The current generation G is very cheap inside. This one doesn't look much better.
Nah, I disagree with that. My friend has a G37 coupe, about 2 years old and it still looks brand new. Everything feels like quality in that cabin in my opinion. I've had several LS' and hopping out of my car and into a new Azera, I noticed a clear difference in the quality of materials, but not so much with the G37. I agree though older ones from 10 years ago weren't that great from a materials quality standpoint. But the newer models are far superior and Infiniti vehicles in general now have some of the highest quality interiors across the board.
Old 06-30-13, 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Nah, I disagree with that. My friend has a G37 coupe, about 2 years old and it still looks brand new. Everything feels like quality in that cabin in my opinion. I've had several LS' and hopping out of my car and into a new Azera, I noticed a clear difference in the quality of materials, but not so much with the G37. I agree though older ones from 10 years ago weren't that great from a materials quality standpoint. But the newer models are far superior and Infiniti vehicles in general now have some of the highest quality interiors across the board.
I disagree with you, the current G37 interior is very cheap, on par with pedestrian car standards, and it doesn't age well at all. However M and FX37 are noticeably higher grade.

P.S.

This new GQ, or whatever its called, looks very cheap on the pictures, and its dual screen center stack is so last decade. Looks very outdated already. This being said, it will go like hotcakes if it keeps leasing for under $400 a month.
Old 06-30-13, 05:15 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
I disagree with you, the current G37 interior is very cheap, on par with pedestrian car standards, and it doesn't age well at all. However M and FX37 are noticeably higher grade.
Some of the interior trim pieces feel cheap, but the leather IMO is good quality and ages well. Of course all of that depends on how well the owner maintains their car. My friend takes great care of his cars. Still, he's a big guy but there's no noticeable cracks or excessive wear on his seat or on any of the leather surfaces.

Originally Posted by Och
P.S.

This new GQ, or whatever its called, looks very cheap on the pictures, and its dual screen center stack is so last decade.
Oh yea? name one car from last decade that has a dual screen like that

Originally Posted by Och
Looks very outdated already. This being said, it will go like hotcakes if it keeps leasing for under $400 a month.
To be honest, the Q50 interior looks very similar in styling to the Azera i sat in. It's got that long center stack and high tech feel/look. It's not a bad thing and I much prefer it to the new simple BMW-esqe layout of all the new Lexus models, regardless if it looks "dated" or not. Though I still to this day prefer the 2nd generation GS interior to the 3rd and 4th gens, so my opinion may or may not be that popular
Old 06-30-13, 05:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

so Hoovey2411, how does it compare to IS350?
Old 06-30-13, 05:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

For the record, the first generation G35 was plain out terrible inside and out, the quality of materials and paint job were Chrysler grade.
Agreed that the current G isn't made with the best materials. Decent, but not great. That said, after touching the interior on this one, I'd upgrade it's status from Decent to Good. Wheras I'm still angry at the IS's cabin (more about packages than Interior materials - some of which I really frown on). Overall though the Q50 looks compelling in person, especially in black.
Old 06-30-13, 07:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm shocked there are ZERO reviews on this car.

IMO the new IS350 is a better car in every way.
The new G/Q50 will sell bec its a bit larger inside and will be cheaper to buy/lease.

But the exterior/interior styling was very bland in person and looks dated already compared to the IS.

New hybrid version sounds interesting though.
Old 06-30-13, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Car names don't mean anything, enthusiast are looking at the car not the name, the others will buy whatever they can get their hands on and what fits into the budget.
I'm sorry but you or anyone that agrees with this stance needs google business 101 and marketing 101.Car names mean EVERYTHING why do the successful brands work so hard to get and keep one recognizable name? It's marketing 101. This isn't to be debated it is common knowledge.

Should McDonald's rename the Big Mac?
Should Mercedes change the C-class to klo class?
Should apple change the iPad to opad?

This argument fails badly because if it wasn't an issue they would just leave it as g37. Clearly nissan felt names DO MEAN SOMETHING so they changed it.

Why did the decide 50? Why not 30? Audi uses Q now and lol the SAME GUY renames his new job Q.

Then to make matters worse they claimed it partially was so people could not tell engine sizes and they slap a big 3.7 randomly on the front fender.

Maybe in 25 years it will make sense, since they stated the first 25 years have been a disaster and this is part of a 25 year plan.

Old 07-01-13, 02:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

it is confusing for sure... when you tell me Q50, i am thinking of SUV.

Maybe they wanted to confuse the costumers? A lot of people dont follow car news, so if I am confused, what the heck will they be?

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread