Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 06:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It's a handsome car in and out. The last gen G easily out handled the IS so let's not discount Infiniti. They do know how to build some awesome sports cars. If they make this G handle anything like the GTR, watch out
Old 01-12-13, 06:18 PM
R1R
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say, I really like this shot of the car. Looks spectacular in black. Digg'in the dual touchscreen interior also. I think I spy Pandora and other "apps" on there.

They should have a shadowline trim like how BMW does it. That would really make it.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Old 01-12-13, 06:18 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's a handsome car in and out. The last gen G easily out handled the IS so let's not discount Infiniti. They do know how to build some awesome sports cars. If they make this G handle anything like the GTR, watch out
In most comparison tests I've read the IS outhandled the G.
Old 01-12-13, 06:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The Infiniti M is definitely a legitimate competitor. It just sells very poorly.
Except compared to the E Class, 5 Series, and GS, it falls flat in several areas, most importantly beginning with styling. The M historically has always sold poorly, and Infiniti has never done anything major to improve the situation for the M.

Originally Posted by EZZ
In your world perhaps. In reality however, the IS out-handles the G sedan in most cases.
Old 01-12-13, 06:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Except compared to the E Class, 5 Series, and GS, it falls flat in several areas, most importantly beginning with styling. The M historically has always sold poorly, and Infiniti has never done anything major to improve the situation for the M.

In your world perhaps. In reality however, the IS out-handles the G sedan in most cases.
Edmunds Comparison Test: G35 vs. 335i vs. CTS vs. IS350 vs. C350

1. Infiniti G35 Sport - The best combination of luxury, price, and performance.

2. BMW 335i - A rare but pricey mix of performance and comfort, the 335i would win if it cost less.

3. Cadillac CTS - Uniquely American sports sedan with surprising handling, gorgeous interior design, and impressive infotainment.

4. Lexus IS350 - Fast and refined, the IS350 nonetheless lacks the engaging driving character of its competitors.

5. Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport - High build quality combines with impressive interior features, performance however is lacking.

Also:

Autoweek Review - 2007 G35 & (IS350 vs. 330i)
Autoweek - 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan Test
Infiniti Beats the Sophomore Jinx
A few interesting comments about it compared to the IS350 and 330i. They were very positive about the handling of the G35 at Lime Rock.

Quote »
Power is far more than ample both on the road and on the racetrack, where the G35 Sport felt more at home than did either the 330i or the IS provided for comparison. One clear advantage for the G35 over the BMW or the Lexus was found in Lime Rock’s first turn, a long sweeper called Big Bend. Where the Lexus felt soft and floppy, like a bigger luxury sedan, and the BMW declined to take a set and instead leaned over, released, and leaned again, the G35 buckled down and hustled through, assisted on exit by the Sport model’s standard viscous limited-slip differential.

I can't find a single publication that supports the Is350 out handles the G series. Just saying.

I have test driven the Is350 and found the G37 with sport package handled way better. Never test drove the F sport as it wasn't available in 2010.

Last edited by EZZ; 01-12-13 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 07:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Here we go again.
Old 01-12-13, 07:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedflex
Here we go again.
. Not trying to start anything. I will probably get the new IS if everything else is equal. I have both a Lexus and Infiniti so no brand loyalty.
Old 01-12-13, 07:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ

I have test driven the Is350 and found the G37 with sport package handled way better. Never test drove the F sport as it wasn't available in 2010.
It would be wise to specify what year you're talking about. Right now we're in 2013. And last I checked, a 2012 IS F-Sport will out-handle a 2012 G sedan sport. Now you weren't talking about placement in comparison tests, you specifically mentioned handling ability.
Old 01-12-13, 07:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Why are they calling it the Q50?

For a second I thought it was the Q45 replacement.... Very confused.
Old 01-12-13, 08:03 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It would be wise to specify what year you're talking about. Right now we're in 2013. And last I checked, a 2012 IS F-Sport will out-handle a 2012 G sedan sport. Now you weren't talking about placement in comparison tests, you specifically mentioned handling ability.
That may be but in all fairness I don't think you can use the IS-F as a comparison with any G37. IS-
F is a sport tuned version of the IS.
Old 01-12-13, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Here we go again.
I have to agree with speedflex here. It is obvious that each generation the IS/G do well with non enthusiasts and enthusiasts. None is particularly faster or sportier than the other, its personal preference.

I think both new generations will sell well and be well received unless we find out something crazy later (really bad drive, engine, pricing for example).

Let us not act how some people have acted about the new IS, like brainless dolts. Lets take the high road and welcome the new Infiniti. It surely won't be a bad car and even if it doesn't appeal to a Lexus owner, it looks to be a nice effort.

Mike

Last edited by LexFather; 01-12-13 at 08:30 PM.

Old 01-12-13, 08:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on pics, this Q50 doesn't exactly move the needly forward like I was hoping. The front end looks a lot like the Maxima and I personally think mesh grilles are overplayed. On your sport model? Ok. On every car in your lineup? No. I hope these pics are of a sport model, and the standard car will carry on with Infiniti's horizontal chrome bars - I think they've done a nice job with them on some recent models.

The body and sides look a little overstyled, in typical Infiniti fashion, but the rear end is beautiful. Very nice shapes and lines back there from what I can see. Those wheels look hot also.

The interior is quite possibly the biggest disappointment to me. It does not look much different, aside from the new center stack which appears very "Hyundai" as Mike illustrated. The other aspects of the interior are very bland, though it still looks a hell of a lot nicer than the 3 series.

I think engines will be a make it or break it affair for the new Q50. I'd give the exterior a C+ and the interior a C. With the rebirth that is happening at Infiniti right now, I simply expected more from this new car.

Of course, you can look at the IS and say that it is overstyled and the Q50 is more conservatively handsome, but on the flip side, Lexus has taken a big gamble and Infiniti has moved the needle forward just a bit. Consider that the RX and ES are Lexus bread and butter, and Lexus does not take many gambles there. The G/Q50 is Infiniti's core, so perhaps they also don't want to take risks with their highest volume products - understandable. With that said, this segment is heating up with the ATS, new IS, a new C and A4 are around the corner and a new TL will be here soon. Infiniti needed to do a bit more here, IMO.
Old 01-12-13, 09:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

We will not know the extent of evolution until the reviews come out. Maybe it's a 5.0L V8 under there . Haha. I will be eager to see the performance reviews for the two cars.

I do agree that the new Q doesn't seem that far off from the current Gen.
Old 01-12-13, 09:51 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Looks very nice. We should keep calling it a G.
Old 01-12-13, 10:39 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
You can tell a car is a better drivers car in pics?
I realize my statement could be seen as a bit of a reach, but....yes. Notice the huge paddle shifters affixed to the steering column a la Ferrari and Mitsu? They are much better for aggressive driving vs the smaller paddles and triggers that Lexus and others slap onto the steering wheel. And let's not forgot how terrible they are in the 2IS (mere gear limiters)

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Surely both will drive good and sporty.
I don't doubt, Choices are good.

For me, the transmission and drivetrain are the two most important elements of any car. If the Infiniti has an LSD and the IS doesn't, then my mind is already made up.

Based on the redline, it looks like the same NA V6 carries over, which is a big disappointment...was hoping for a 3.0L turbo. Oh well, in time.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread