Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 11:43 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember seeing the camouflaged pics.
rendering looks something like it.

if they make it a mini M, they're dead, seeing how crappy M sales are.
Old 12-11-12, 01:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

that front end is looking more and more like the Maxima...
Old 12-11-12, 09:12 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Here's another rendering I found on another forum:

This looks MUCH better.
Old 12-11-12, 09:31 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rendering isn't too bad. if they still offer 6mt it may be in the running for my next vehicle.
Old 12-29-12, 12:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti teases G-replacing Q50 ahead of Detroit debut

Preparing for the introduction of its new naming system and redesigned entry-level sedan, Infiniti has released a brief teaser video for the 2014 Q50. As a refresher, the Q50 is the replacement for the G37 sedan, and while we've seen spy shots of this car before, this video is our first detailed look at the production car.

All we get to see in the video is a shot of the headlight, but we get to see key elements like the stylish daytime running lights, crescent-shaped parking lights and adaptive low beams. The overall shape of the headlight is very close to what we saw earlier this year on the LE Concept. We have to wait until the Detroit Auto Show kicks off in a couple weeks to see the Q50's full design.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/28/i...detroit-debut/
Old 12-29-12, 08:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a lot of discussion going on about Infiniti's nameplate change.

I am in minority when I say it kind of makes sense. Yes, we are so used to G, M, Q, FX and we know what is what but new buyers especially those that have never ever seen Infiniti car have no clue what is what nor it makes sense to them. Randomly generated letters and numbers don't make much sense in terms of recognition but there is one more problem. Instead of building just the brand name they have to build each model nameplate separately because it's hard to figure out hierarchy. It's something Lexus deals with as well but on more successful scale then Infiniti and one of the reasons why luxury brands dropped actual words in their naming scheme, like that awesome Legend name. And of course once you go international you would end up with Pajero problem sooner or later.

Infiniti did one good thing and that is getting rid of the engine specs in their nameplates. That is beyond unnecessary and it was good back then when bigger meant better progress but that is not the case today. That thing kind of bit in the *** MB, BMW and Lexus to some degree.

Question is should they have named their cars after their first ever model that eventually failed miserably due to Infiniti executives not because it was a bad car, the Q or should they have named their cars all as G, their most successful nameplate to date?

Anyway I hope they have more to bring to the table to build upon new naming scheme than just Q50 and bunch of renames.

Old 12-29-12, 08:59 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Infiniti teases G-replacing Q50 ahead of Detroit debut

Preparing for the introduction of its new naming system and redesigned entry-level sedan, Infiniti has released a brief teaser video for the 2014 Q50. As a refresher, the Q50 is the replacement for the G37 sedan, and while we've seen spy shots of this car before, this video is our first detailed look at the production car.

All we get to see in the video is a shot of the headlight, but we get to see key elements like the stylish daytime running lights, crescent-shaped parking lights and adaptive low beams. The overall shape of the headlight is very close to what we saw earlier this year on the LE Concept. We have to wait until the Detroit Auto Show kicks off in a couple weeks to see the Q50's full design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxO7ezZLDQ

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/28/i...detroit-debut/
This looks promising. Next year will be a bumper crop of potentially great sports sedans : New IS, New Q50, 4 series sedan, new Genesis?
Old 12-29-12, 10:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
This looks promising. Next year will be a bumper crop of potentially great sports sedans : New IS, New Q50, 4 series sedan, new Genesis?
4 series is the Coupe, Sedan is still 3 Series
Old 12-31-12, 06:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vladi
There is a lot of discussion going on about Infiniti's nameplate change.

I am in minority when I say it kind of makes sense. Yes, we are so used to G, M, Q, FX and we know what is what but new buyers especially those that have never ever seen Infiniti car have no clue what is what nor it makes sense to them. Randomly generated letters and numbers don't make much sense in terms of recognition but there is one more problem. Instead of building just the brand name they have to build each model nameplate separately because it's hard to figure out hierarchy. It's something Lexus deals with as well but on more successful scale then Infiniti and one of the reasons why luxury brands dropped actual words in their naming scheme, like that awesome Legend name. And of course once you go international you would end up with Pajero problem sooner or later.

Infiniti did one good thing and that is getting rid of the engine specs in their nameplates. That is beyond unnecessary and it was good back then when bigger meant better progress but that is not the case today. That thing kind of bit in the *** MB, BMW and Lexus to some degree.

Question is should they have named their cars after their first ever model that eventually failed miserably due to Infiniti executives not because it was a bad car, the Q or should they have named their cars all as G, their most successful nameplate to date?

Anyway I hope they have more to bring to the table to build upon new naming scheme than just Q50 and bunch of renames.

Sorry it is a disaster. Have you read their FB page or any forums? People are pretty pissed. They had a growing loyal group that they have completely just ****ted on and their reasoning makes no sense. JX owners are pissed, like the Lincoln Zepher they rename the car after 1 year. Why didn't they just wait or call it the Qwhatever from the jump? Resale will tank.

Who the hell renames their current product after a failed product? Then they say the numbers don't mean anything. Did the CEO know that Q45 stood for 4.5 liters with the first gen and when they downsized the engine to 4.1 liters in the 2nd gen they still called it the Q45 They don't even know their own history. Lineage is important, a name that lasts generations is important. Not changing names every 2 minutes.

So now a Q50 isn't a 5.0 liter car but the entry level car. Its not the next Q45 replacement. its just some random number.

If they had any sense they would rename the entire brand "G" b/c since 2003 60-70% of sales are the G and the G is the face of the brand and its best and most successful product. Audi uses the Q, the Q7, Q5, Q3.

They better not screw up the QX50 as they already screwed up the name. This is their bread and butter. I'm really curious to see the coupe, not the sedan.

Old 12-31-12, 11:29 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

hope someone leaks the pics before the show.

don't feel like waiting till the 15th
Old 01-01-13, 08:21 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Sorry it is a disaster. Have you read their FB page or any forums? People are pretty pissed. They had a growing loyal group that they have completely just ****ted on and their reasoning makes no sense. JX owners are pissed, like the Lincoln Zepher they rename the car after 1 year. Why didn't they just wait or call it the Qwhatever from the jump? Resale will tank.

Who the hell renames their current product after a failed product? Then they say the numbers don't mean anything. Did the CEO know that Q45 stood for 4.5 liters with the first gen and when they downsized the engine to 4.1 liters in the 2nd gen they still called it the Q45 They don't even know their own history. Lineage is important, a name that lasts generations is important. Not changing names every 2 minutes.

So now a Q50 isn't a 5.0 liter car but the entry level car. Its not the next Q45 replacement. its just some random number.

If they had any sense they would rename the entire brand "G" b/c since 2003 60-70% of sales are the G and the G is the face of the brand and its best and most successful product. Audi uses the Q, the Q7, Q5, Q3.

They better not screw up the QX50 as they already screwed up the name. This is their bread and butter. I'm really curious to see the coupe, not the sedan.
Their executives are on par with Acura executives, they must be friends I guess

Naming their new product JX only to drop it in next model year shows their disconnection between Infiniti USA and Infiniti as global brand. JX is only USA and Russia model so I guess different department worked on that one. Great job! They had no freakin clue that global executives would go ahead and change the model names across the range.

Anyway, I agree with the name change cause M, FX, EX didn't mean squat except few Infiniti loyal buyers. New naming will at least make sense to upcoming buyers that have never heard of Infiniti let alone model names, it is more logical to some degree. There are more buyers to conquest on global market then what they have now. In reality it will take them a decade and half to do anything globally.

But I would not choose Q to name anything, G would be the way to go.
Old 01-01-13, 01:12 PM
Hoovey689

G is synonymous with the Infiniti brand. Bad decision to drop it
Old 01-01-13, 03:18 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Time to de-badge
Old 01-01-13, 06:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by adamls2
Time to de-badge
haha seriously
Old 01-01-13, 08:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That looks like a Maxima with an Infiniti emblem.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread