Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 06:08 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a savage beast.
Old 03-12-14, 08:04 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Hmm most excellent
I would hope they would be serious about bringing this car to market after all the hoopla surrounding it. Even when you go to the Infiniti website, it's the first thing you see. Not sure why they seem to be playing this game with the media about whether or not they will build it. Of course they're going to build it. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Although, they always seem to drag their feet between the time they show their concepts until they're actually available for sale. They need to bring this thing out within a year in my opinion, while this body style is still fresh. An early spring 2015 release as a 2016 model sounds about right to me.
Old 03-12-14, 09:04 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

My 2014 Q50 hybrid has a 3.5 so yes they do make one

Prior to Geneva I recall reading that Nissan was looking at using
MB sourced power for this car so a 3.5 would be possible

Then again the word from Geneva was use of the GTR mill
which is the 3.8
Old 03-14-14, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti explored V8, diesel, hybrid power for Q50 Eau Rouge

Over the past few years, rumors have swirled about an Infiniti-badged, four-door version of the Nissan GT-R. Makes sense to us – Infiniti could certainly use a performance halo, and the seemingly forgotten IPL initiative hasn't exactly bore any interesting fruit. Enter the Q50 Eau Rouge, which recently debuted for a second time at the Geneva Motor Show packed with the 3.8-liter, twin-turbocharged heart of Godzilla itself.

Infiniti first showed the Q50 Eau Rouge at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show in January, where it did not have an engine – literally. Nothing was housed beneath its striking red hood. Naturally, this puzzled us, especially considering Infiniti boss Johan de Nysschen's statement that he "insists" the car be put into production.

But as it turns out, the Q50 Eau Rouge wasn't necessarily destined to be the "Infiniti GT-R" we have been hearing about for so long. In fact, several options were explored before the final decision to use the Nissan supercar's engine was even made. So following the Eau Rouge's second coming in Geneva, we talked to Infiniti's senior communications manger, Kyle Bazemore, who shed some interesting light on what almost was.

"We could have chosen other Infiniti engines – the 5.0- and 5.6-liter V8 engines for instance – or one from our Alliance partners," Bazemore told Autoblog. In fact, considering Infiniti parent company Renault-Nissan's partnership with Daimler, it stands to reason that even Mercedes-Benz (read: AMG) could have provided the beating heart for the Eau Rouge.

What's more, Infiniti actually explored alternative-fuel powertrains for use in the Eau Rouge. "Our engineering and product planning teams looked at other solutions, such as versions of our V6 engines, and we even looked at developing a high-power sports diesel, then we narrowed it down according to size, weight, packaging, flexibility and how the powertrain package could be 'Infinitized' for the Q50 experience," Bazemore said. "At one point, we looked at hybrid tuning, where the batteries, electric motor and charging equipment were all uprated to provide significant clean power in the form of an 'electric supercharger.'"

Even then, when the decision came to use the GT-R engine, it wasn't just a plug-and-play exercise.
"It's been mapped to feel like an Infiniti," Bazemore said, "which is to say it feels like a premium sedan engine should, has Infiniti air intakes and swirl pots, and is connected to an Infiniti seven-speed transmission."

Indeed, the version of the GT-R engine used in the Eau Rouge is said to produce 560 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque – a gain of 15 hp and a loss of 20 lb-ft versus the Nissan – though it uses the same all-wheel-drive system as the Japanese supercar. Bazemore sums it up, "After everything was considered, the GT-R engine – as a basis with modifications to make it appropriate for an Infiniti – was the clear solution for the Eau Rouge concept car. And ultimately, completely, amazingly fantastical."

Right now, Bazemore tells Autoblog that the Eau Rouge, named after the famous corner at the Circuit de Spa, "provides a glimpse into our vision for high-performance vehicles. It takes the basic design features of the Q50 sports sedan, but combines it with the spirit of Formula One, in which Infiniti is (obviously) involved." In fact, several of the sedan's design elements – specifically the front wing, rear aero packaging and rear foglight – are said to mimic the Red Bull RB9 racecar.

It all looks ready to go, and despite de Nysschen's insistence that the car be green-lit, Bazemore insists that the concept "is just that, a concept for now."

Should the Q50 Eau Rouge get the production nod, pricing will be key. For the model to compete with sport sedans like the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG or BMW M3, it would likely need to carry a price tag under $75,000. And even if the Eau Rouge were to go up against heavyweights like the Mercedes E63 AMG or BMW M5, base pricing would realistically have to fall between $90,000 and $100,000. But consider that a brand-new 2015 GT-R starts at just under $102,000 – would it make sense for the four-door, presumably more luxurious (and functional) model to retail for less money?
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/14/i...hybrid-report/
Old 03-14-14, 05:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
With the beating heart of a GT-R, it's not RC F, M3/4, C63 who need to be worried...it's M5, E63, RS6!
i don't see it that way, as the Q50 isn't as big as those latter vehicles. plus the 'mid size' sport sedan rockets tend to be v8's.
Old 03-14-14, 05:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't see it that way, as the Q50 isn't as big as those latter vehicles. plus the 'mid size' sport sedan rockets tend to be v8's.
Problem with the Q50 just like the 2nd gen CTS is that it's close to being a straddler. Not compact but not midsize. Granted I could see in a few years the Q50 getting bigger, the Q70 possibly moving up a size (unless the rumored Q90 hits), and the Q40 (aka old G37) filling in for the compact size when it's redesign hits. Of course this is all IMO considering they use the standard template that most Luxury badges employ with small, medium and large.
Old 03-14-14, 06:37 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Problem with the Q50 just like the 2nd gen CTS is that it's close to being a straddler. Not compact but not midsize. Granted I could see in a few years the Q50 getting bigger, the Q70 possibly moving up a size (unless the rumored Q90 hits), and the Q40 (aka old G37) filling in for the compact size when it's redesign hits. Of course this is all IMO considering they use the standard template that most Luxury badges employ with small, medium and large.
I don't think the Q50 will be getting any bigger. The Q90 is definitely coming, most likely as a 2017 model sometime in 2016. Infiniti have confirmed this on a few occasions in the past several months. So it's doubtful the Q50 will be getting any bigger. However they have talked about bringing out another entry level FWD sedan (ala the I30/I35) and I'm wondering if the Q40 will eventually morph into that model after the 2015 model year. Would seem to make sense if you've been keeping up with all the reports coming from them in the past year or so.
Old 03-14-14, 07:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I don't think the Q50 will be getting any bigger. The Q90 is definitely coming, most likely as a 2017 model sometime in 2016. Infiniti have confirmed this on a few occasions in the past several months. So it's doubtful the Q50 will be getting any bigger. However they have talked about bringing out another entry level FWD sedan (ala the I30/I35) and I'm wondering if the Q40 will eventually morph into that model after the 2015 model year. Would seem to make sense if you've been keeping up with all the reports coming from them in the past year or so.
That's your opinion no different than mine. As you'll note I based my statement off if they used a template similar to Luxury badges, and typically (not always) redesigns grow in the slightest which makes my statement reasonable. That's not to say yours isn't correct either. The Q40 probably will morph into a new FWD model similar to how the G20 FWD went to the G35 RWD, but it seems for now they don't want to alienate former G buyers and continue to sell the rebadged G for now. Only time will tell.
Old 03-14-14, 07:58 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

That's your opinion no different than mine. As you'll note I based my statement off if they used a template similar to Luxury badges, and typically (not always) redesigns grow in the slightest which makes my statement reasonable. That's not to say yours isn't correct either. The Q40 probably will morph into a new FWD model similar to how the G20 FWD went to the G35 RWD, but it seems for now they don't want to alienate former G buyers and continue to sell the rebadged G for now. Only time will tell.
That's true, sometimes they do. But as we see with the new TLX, it's going to be slightly smaller than the outgoing TL. Is the new IS bigger than the outgoing model? Looks about the same size to me. But I get what you're saying, I just would be surprised if the Q50 eventually grew into a midsize model, cuz I'm pretty sure they've stated it was designed to compete with the IS, 3 Series, and others in the same class. Having said that though, it is slightly larger than the others and I wouldn't be shocked if people cross shop it with the larger ES and similar models.
Old 03-14-14, 09:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

q50 is only 4 inches longer than the new IS
Old 03-14-14, 10:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Is the new IS bigger than the outgoing model? Looks about the same size to me.
The new IS is 3.4 inches longer (now 183.7 inches long) than the previous model, and wheelbase is up 2.7 inches to 110.2". Height and width are up less than half an inch. Interior volume went up from 98.7 cubic feet to 101.0 cubic feet. Trunk capacity increased from 13.0 cubic feet to 13.8.
Old 03-15-14, 05:41 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...I come to the point that I wonder how well the Q50 Hybrid hold it resale value in the next 3 years ?
Old 04-02-14, 08:32 PM
mb93fd
Driver School Candidate

This car looks great, maybe one of my favorite infinity's right now...
Old 04-04-14, 07:31 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Infiniti's GT-R Powered Q50 Eau Rouge Enters Prototype Testing Phase

Under the leadership of Carlos Ghosn, the Nissan Group has shown that it's not afraid to break with conventional wisdom and create products that can raise more than a few eyebrows – i.e. the GT-R Juke.

The Q50 Eau Rouge study is also one of those vehicles, and it looks like it may very well be heading towards production, especially after an announcement today, that it has asked four-time F1 world champion and Infiniti brand Director of Performance Sebastian Vettel to begin testing a prototype version of the car.

At the recent Geneva Motor Show, Infiniti confirmed the Q50 Eau Rouge study's Nissan GT-R-sourced twin-turbo 3.8-liter V6 with 568PS (560hp) and 600Nm (592 lb-ft) paired to a full-time, all-wheel drive system with 50/50 front-to-rear torque split and a 7-speed transmission.

Infiniti said that Vettel put the sports sedan through its paces at the Millbrook Proving Ground automotive testing facility in the UK, to evaluate the car's "performance, handling and precision driving".

"Vettel's invaluable feedback will be engineered into the next stages of the prototype's extensive development program – testing components, packaging and viability," said Infiniti, which has not yet reached a final decision on production.

The Japanese carmaker added that it will release further information regarding the Q50 Eau Rouge running prototype on the press day of the 2014 Beijing Auto Show on April 20.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/inf...eau-rouge.html
Old 04-04-14, 07:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this thing comes to market, it's going to eat every M, AMG, F, RS, R sedan like a snack. The only one that I think stands a chance against that TT 3.8L V6/AWD combo is the new CTS V.

I. Can't. Wait.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread