Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autombile drives the CLA 45 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 05:59 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autombile drives the CLA 45 AMG

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...g_first_drive/

Quite an interesting car - and quite a bargain as well. I think the IS350 Fsport may be in trouble.
Old 06-21-13, 06:04 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Confused exterior styling is a turn-off but the rest of the formula is spot-on.
Old 06-21-13, 08:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

wow, that engine is amazing.
Old 06-21-13, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

MBZ has just kicked up that segment. Automakers take notice.
Old 06-21-13, 11:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...g_first_drive/

Quite an interesting car - and quite a bargain as well. I think the IS350 Fsport may be in trouble.
I think the IS F sport,328, and A4 are in trouble. Who wouldnt want an AMG badge and performance and styling like that. Great package. Kudos to Benz and AMG for creating a great package and having the ***** to open up sales numbers. I think they know they have a winner on their hands
Old 06-22-13, 01:42 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think the IS F sport,328, and A4 are in trouble. Who wouldnt want an AMG badge and performance and styling like that. Great package. Kudos to Benz and AMG for creating a great package and having the ***** to open up sales numbers. I think they know they have a winner on their hands
Personally, I don't care about "badges". Also, isn't the base car FWD? That leads me to believe this would be a FWD-biased AWD train, so I question how well it would handle.

I'm not a fan of the styling, either.
Old 06-22-13, 09:39 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Personally, I don't care about "badges". Also, isn't the base car FWD? That leads me to believe this would be a FWD-biased AWD train, so I question how well it would handle.

I'm not a fan of the styling, either.
It is FWD based with a Haldex (meaning hydraulic) center differential - however, those systems are getting to be so good there's no perception of the clutch engaging. Check out the Audi TT-S and TT-RS, which both use a Haldex system, for an example of how good these can be.

The only real limitation to it is that only 50% of torque can be sent rear, versus Torsen setups where up to 90% can be sent front or rear, but this shouldn't hurt the car much in dry conditions.

In a nutshell, handling due to the AWD system won't be much of an issue. Suspension tuning will matter much more for this segment than the limitations of the AWD system.
Old 06-22-13, 12:56 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll wait for a reviewer other than automobile mag to pass further judgment. Chris Harris, anyone?

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Not sure many (if any) people are really going to cross-shop the IS F and the CLA45. The platforms are so vastly different. Even for the odd person who might, I'm not sure that the CLA package would justify the ~$12k difference in MSRP. Even the 135i didn't do that to the 335i and they are much similar packages.

Also, this thing is priced above 335i territory, much less being anywhere close to the A4 or 328i. I actually think this car is a really tough sell at nearly $50k. Other than the engine, I just don't find the platform compelling - for reasons other posters have already mentioned in this thread.

MB does deserve a lot of credit for bringing this to market. It's a niche product that Lexus, for one, clearly does not have the guts to try.
Old 06-22-13, 03:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gengar
Not sure many (if any) people are really going to cross-shop the IS F and the CLA45. The platforms are so vastly different. Even for the odd person who might, I'm not sure that the CLA package would justify the ~$12k difference in MSRP. Even the 135i didn't do that to the 335i and they are much similar packages.
First off, he was referring to the IS F-sport package.

Second, I disagree that this won't be cross shopped, especially considering there isn't even an IS-F on the books yet. Lexus seems like it has no real interest in humoring the enthusiast.

Like you, I owned the first gen F. I'd already have my name down for the new one....except it doesn't exist....and the front end is ridiculously hideous. Something like this that is fun and cheaper might just satisfy my need for something "fun". Wife liked her MB and likes the looks of this. For significant $$$ less than an F, why not?

Also, this thing is priced above 335i territory, much less being anywhere close to the A4 or 328i. I actually think this car is a really tough sell at nearly $50k. Other than the engine, I just don't find the platform compelling - for reasons other posters have already mentioned in this thread.

MB does deserve a lot of credit for bringing this to market. It's a niche product that Lexus, for one, clearly does not have the guts to try.
Again, I disagree. There are a multitude of people that would love to be part of the AMG/MB badge at this price point.

Lexus doesn't have the "guts" to commit to the IS-F...lol.
Old 06-22-13, 03:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That CLA AMG will be 60-65k by the time its all said and done.
Old 06-22-13, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That CLA AMG will be 60-65k by the time its all said and done.
What's your point?
Old 06-22-13, 10:20 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Again, I disagree. There are a multitude of people that would love to be part of the AMG/MB badge at this price point.
Any person who only cares about an AMG badge at 50k would have bought a used AMG already.

Not going to bother re-re-re-re-rebeating the dead horse of the next-gen IS F.
Old 06-22-13, 11:19 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, that engine is amazing.
Yeah, that engine is sick

300+ HP..........on a 4 cylinder engine (stock production unit)
Old 06-22-13, 11:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Any person who only cares about an AMG badge at 50k would have bought a used AMG already.

Not going to bother re-re-re-re-rebeating the dead horse of the next-gen IS F.
If you care about performance and want something "affordable" with an AMG badge, you buy 8 year old E55 AMG, with the supercharged M55 5.4 V8. Like any forced induction engine, an extra 100hp is yours with a freer flowing exhaust, a tune, and a different supercharger pulley to up the hp. Seriously the bang for the buck on this older model AMG is hard to beat, it responds well to mods, it has a supportive aftermarket, and the car doesn't have any sort of catastrophic failures when you up the horsepower(still doesn't mean its cheap to fix, even minor things cost big $$$$).

This is also the same basic engine/transmission you find in the SLR McLaren supercar that makes 600+hp in that application.
Old 06-23-13, 03:48 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm a bit worried about a 2 liter engine with 26.1 pounds of boost pushing out 355 hp.

Seems like a really stressed engine with longevity concerns.

Quick Reply: Autombile drives the CLA 45 AMG