Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Special-Review: 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Special-Review: 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster

A special (in memoriam of a friend) Review of the 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/boxster/

IN a NUTSHELL: The car that wrote the book on mid-priced sports-car handling and general competence.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Mercedes SLK, BMW Z4, Audi TT/TTS, and entry-level versions of the Chevrolet Corvette. The Jaguar F-Type competes with the higher-level Boxster S.

(TechArt gauge panel shown)

(I couldn't show my usual underhood image of the engine-compartment because the Boxster has no pull-up hood...the engine is unaccessable from above
except for basic fluid-checks).

OVERVIEW:

This Boxster review is dedicated to a late friend and co-worker of mine, Hank (for privacy, I won't use his last name on the internet). Hank recently passed away from complications arising from pancreatic cancer. All cancers, of course, are bad news, but pancreatic cancer, in particular, is one of the more serious ones, with a relatively low survival-rate. Hank received state-of-the-art cancer treatments (and, of course, a number of prayers from his friends/co-workers/family), and did, in fact, live somewhat longer than the doctors thought he would....by probably three or four months.

I worked (indirectly) with Hank for a number of years myself, though I retired several years ago while he stayed on the job. He was a few years too young to qualify for a regular Federal retirement, even with his former enlistment in the Navy, mostly aboard submarines, credited.....and it should be noted that, to Hank's credit, submarine crews in the Navy are considered elite units that are not easy to qualify for. Even after my retirement, though, Hank and I remained friends (he had a house just a few blocks from my brother's place), and we would sometimes barbecue at a friend's house in suburban Maryland (only chicken for me...no beef or pork). Hank had enough sense not to get truly drunk or overdo it on the beer, but, on a few occasions, as I am a teetotaller myself and never drink, I drove him home in his car, like a designated driver, if he was feeling borderline-tipsy.

Hank, though he was not into car-reviews and Internet auto-chat like I am, was every bit an auto-enthusiast, did read auto-magazines, and, over the years, owned a number of vintage Porsches, a Datsun 240Z, custom-painted motorcycles (he did some of his own paint-work, and it was stunning). He did not officially ever work as an auto mechanic/technician, but could do some major automotive work in his own garage/driveway if he had to (and sometimes he DID have to). He did, in fact, though, once work as a motorcycle mechanic. He usually did not drive his vintage cars to work or for daily commuting, but kept, first, an old late-1980s Honda CRX Si, and, later, a reliable 1999 Acura Integra sedan, for daily-driving (I occasionally rode with him on Friday nights if we went out after work). He always seemed to like Porsches in particular, but never owned a new one (prices on used-Porsche parts, of course, were high enough as it is). Later, he decided he wanted a used manual-transmission Corvette convertible in a price-range he could afford, and, though it took several years (with me sometimes helping him to search for one). He finally got one....black with black leather interior. Unfortunately, Hank contracted the cancer soon afterward, and never really had that much time to truly enjoy the Corvette it took so long for him to get.....or any kind of real government retirement after all the years he had worked.....though he DID get a Federal disability retirement a few months before he passed away.

Hank did not want a traditional formal wake or funeral/burial service, and so did not get one. Instead, I decided that my contribution to his memory would be a special review on a new car that I know that he would have liked if he could have bought it. He already had (at least for a few months) the 'Vette convertible he had waited for, so I figured that it wouldn't make much sense reviewing a Corvette. But, as I said earlier, he was also a Porsche fan, and I think that, if possible, for Corvette money, a Boxster would also have been a car very high on his list....especially a new one if he could afford it. So, for a special review in his memory, it was into my Verano and off to the Porsche-shop.

The Boxster, of course, traces its history to the mid/late 90s, a period when several German manufacturers were introducing new roadsters/sports cars. We saw, at the time, the introduction of the now-classic BMW Z3/Z4, Mercedes SLK, and Audi TT. Porsche sales/marketing had been in the doldrums for some time, and the company's management had decided that it, too, would, after many years, introduce an all-new, more-affordable 2-seat sports car, as most new Porsches, up to then, had simply cost too much for most buyers. So, the Boxster was introduced in the fall of 1996 as a 1997 model. The original target price range of $35-40,000 was not quite met.....the original list price was closer to $45,000 (even more with demand-induced dealer- markups). Still, however, the new Boxster attracted a lot of buyers that, before, wouldn't have gone anywhere near a Porsche showroom...or simply decided to trade down from their former 911s and Carreras.

And Good Heavens, did it attract buyers in its first year....... It was, far and away, at the time, the most popular car that the company had ever introduced....old Dr. Ferdinand (Porsche) himself would have rolled over in his grave if he could have seen the demand for this car. Its code number was the Porsche 986, and, because demand completely outstripped production at the Stuttgart, Germany plant, a second Boxster plant was opened in Finland. The second plant only helped the long waiting-lines slightly. In fact, a friend of mine (who was a restaurant owner/manager) ordered a new Boxster in March of 1997. Guess when he actually took delivery.........APRIL OF 1998. The car, brand-new, was already one model-year old when he first got the keys to it. To him, though, it was worth the wait...he loved it, and gave me a ride or two in it (his driving, from what I remember, probably drove my blood-pressure up about 30 or 40 points).

Within a year or so, an upmarket Boxster S model, with more power, was added, and as the car's novelty started to wear off, the red-hot demand waned. But it remained clearly the most popular new Porsche until the Cayenne SUV came along a few years later and expanded Porsche's appeal to a whole new set of suburban-class, family-oriented, soccer-mom buyers. Unfortunately, the initial mechanical reliability of the Boxster in the late 90s, perhaps due to its hurried production/assembly, was not good. Consumer Reports listed a number of problems with it, especially in the convertible-top mechanism. But, as the car's production slowed and the company got more experience with it, reliability improved. The Boxster got a reputation as one of the best-handling regular-production sports cars on the planet, though the same, to an extent, could also be said for the smaller, less-expensive (and more reliable) Mazda Miata at half the Boxster's price and for the Honda S2000 at some $10,000 less.

The Boxster, however, continued to please, and (like the Miata and Honda S2000), remained on the list of best sports cars for the price at a number of auto-magazines. It has remained popular by Porsche standards, and is now, for 2013-2014, entering into its third generation as the Porsche 981 (the second-generation model was the 987). A spinoff of the Boxster, the Porsche Cayman, added the security and frame-strength of a hard top while (more or less) retaining the same Boxster platform. Several Limited Edition and/or Anniversary Boxster models were produced over the years.......I won't go into them in detail here.

For 2014, as before, two basic models of the Boxster are offered.....a base model starting at $50,400 and Boxster S at $62,100...both of them Spyder full-convertibles (buyers who prefer the Boxster's basic platform with a hard top can, of course, opt for the Cayman instead). Base-model Boxsters get a 2.7L liquid-cooled flat-six with 265 HP and 206 Ft-lbs. of torque (Porsche air-cooled engines are long gone). S models get a larger 3.4L flat-six with 315 HP and 266 Ft-lbs. of torque. Both models offer the choice of a conventional 6-speed manual or 7-speed PDK dual-clutch Sport-Shift automated manual. The 206 Ft-lbs.of torque in the base car may not sound like much, especially compared to top-level Corvettes/Dodge Vipers and even the Boxster's own Carrera and 911 Turbo brothers. But the car's relatively light weight and mid-engine design (for quick handling), tends to put what power the engine DOES offer to relatively good use. The car, at least by my standards, is certainly no slouch, and offers superlative handling.....more on that below.

Despite the fact that Porsche seems to have all of the data for the 2014 Boxster on its website, few if any, seem to be in stock at local Porsche dealerships, though there are still some 2013 models available. Word at the local shops is that the 2014 models generally won't be coming in till around August....a month and a half away. So, given that time-frame, the fact that the 3rd-generation 2013 model was all-new and the 2014 update won't be much at all, a small price-increase scheduled for 2014, and the fact that Hank, if given the choice, probably would have gotten an end-of-model year 2013 to save some money, for the review, I chose a gray metallic 2013 Boxster with the 6-speed manual. I also chose a stick because Hank would have likely chosen one, as all of his other classic sports cars had sticks. He had an automatic, of course, in his daily-driver Integra sedan for daily commuting in D.C.'s endless (and I MEAN endless) traffic (and sometimes commuting on his motorcycle)......but, out on a nice weekend sports-car jaunt, for him, it was strictly row-your-own-gears.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2013 Porsche Boxster

BASE PRICE: $49,500

OPTIONS:

Metallic Paint: $710 (a ripoff, IMO)

Porsche Wheel-Cap Emblems: $185

Information Package: $3860

Convenience Package: $1170

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $910 (also, IMO, a ripoff for a car this size and weight)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $56,375

(prices will be slightly higher for 2014, as listed above in the Overview)

DRIVETRAIN: RWD, Longitudinally mid-mounted 2.7L flat-six, 265 HP @ 6700 RPM, Torque 206 ft-lbs. @ (?) RPM,
(Porsche doesn't publish the max-torque RPM on the web site),
6-speed manual transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 20 City, 30 Highway, 24 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Agate Gray Metallic

INTERIOR: Black Partial-Leather.

PLUSSES:

Arguably the best-handling mid-priced sports-car in the American market.

Low depreciation.

Smooth, powerful flat-six engine.

Generally well-done manual-transmission shift linkage.

Ride comfort/noise-control (by sports-car standards) better than expected.

Very quick, sports-car steering response.

Billiard-table-flat cornering with virtually no body roll.

Excellent stability/tracking for a mid-engine car.

Traditionally excellent, Right-Now Porsche brakes.

Fairly roomy front/rear trunks by sports-car standards.

Killer stereo sound.

Class-A, solid-feeling interior hardware/*****/buttons.

Nice seat upholstery.

Reasonably well-insulated convertible top.

Quick, foolproof, flexible power-top mechanism.

Relatively effective wind-blocker at speed.

Some excellent paint colors.

Superb paint jobs....even with the standard, non-extra-cost colors.

Interior trim far nicer than Boxsters of yore.

Simple, traditional-Porsche, easy-to-read primary gauges.

MINUSES:

Difficult entry/exit if you're used to higher-stance vehicles.

Somewhat cramped inside for tall/large people...but better than some sports cars.

Dash-mounted manual-transmisison gear-indicator not programmed correctly (IMO).

AWful clutch pedal/dead-pedal location for large shoes.

No engine-hood, IMO, is an insult....even with the space-limited design.

$710 extra-cost for metallic paint a ripoff, IMO.

Body sheet-metal not as strong or ding-resistent as it feels.

No body-side moulding for parking-lot protection.

Speed-activated automatic rear trunk-spoiler unnecessary at American-legal speeds.

Awkward location/access to dash-mounted cup-holders.

Video-screens with the usual complexity.

Plastic electronic key-fob/ignition-slot instead of engine start/stop button.

Obscenely expensive Porsche parts/service when not done free or under recall/warranty.

Porsche Sales/Service reps can be snooty and aristocratic...but some of them are changing.

4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper warranty (including drivetrain) not very impressive for a car of this class,
especially with the notoriously expensive Porsche dealer-service.

Potentially high insurance premiums.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the Boxster, it's easy to recognize it as a two-door Porsche, as the general body-styling is similiar to the Cayman (minus the hard-top), Carrera, 911, and GT2/GT3. Despite at least two redesigns, the styling has not changed a great deal since its fall 1996 introducton, which proves something I've said for years....that, unlike what many people believe, cars don't HAVE to change just for the sake of change, but, IMO, only to make REAL improvements. Same with a number of other Porsches.....they haven't changed much in looks over the years, and, in the case of the 911, the basic body-lines go all the way back to 1964. In fact, IMO, the biggest single changes over the years were probably the two best ones...the addition of AWD and the changeover to liquid-cooled engines for quieter operation, better heater/defroster-performance, and better emissions.

Anyhow, back to the Boxster. As mentioned, it is easily recognizable as a Porsche, although the Cayman's hard-top gives it a slightly sleeker look with the Boxster's top up. Top down, though, as is the case with many convertibles, the Boxster's handsome looks (IMO) really shine. The sheet-metal used on the Boxster, when you press it with your hand/fingers, feels, on the surface, like it is virtually tank-grade, but actually seems to ding quite easily when other doors hit it. In fact, on the car (a Carrera) parked right next to the Boxster I drove, it looked like, prior to the time I drove the Boxster, that someone had opened that Boxster's drivers' door and hit a V-crease in the door's edge into the Carrera's door....there was a small ding on it (but no paint-damage) right at the point where that V-crease would have touched it. (That's why, BTW, I often complain about the lack of body-side mouldings on today's cars). Nevertheless, the doors and dual trunk-lids, compared to many of today's vehicles, shut like bank vaults, with a solid thunk.

The paint colors offered on the Boxster, overall, IMO, are much better than the average line of funeral-home shades you see on today's cars. Fourteen different colors are offered, and several of them are quite bright (my favorite among them is the Racing Yellow, though I suspect Hank would have chosen something a little darker). Porsche, however, continues the annoying habit of German (and some non-German) automakers in charging extra for metallic paint colors....in this case, $710, which is a significant chunk of cash. The paint job itself, though, is done superbly....as Porsches have been for years. The brake calipers, in typical Porsche fashion, are painted bright red with the Porsche logo on them. The handsome mag-style 5-spoke alloy wheels also have extra-cost Porsche logo-caps in the center (many automakers have the logo on the wheel-caps as standard). Behind the two doors are relatively large and distinct air scoop-intakes for the engine's cooling. There is no conventional engine hood, or any other access to the engine itself from above (I'll get into that more later on). The relatively thick fabric soft-top appears to be well-insulated, well-applied, and made of quite durable fabric. But, of course, a folding hard-top, if it were offered, would provide better security without stepping up to a Cayman. A noted characteristic of the exterior, as is also the case with some other Porsche models, is an almost complete lack of chrome-trim anywhere, though there are a few small pieces of it inside the headlight-bezels and around some of the lower front-lights. Like many sports cars, of course, the Boxster sits relatively close to the ground, so entry/exit for guys my height and width can sometimes be like getting a giraffe in and out of a golf-cart. (Again, Hank was noticeably shorter and slimmer that I am, even before he lost weight from the cancer-treatments).

UNDERHOOD:

The Boxster doesn't have a conventonal lift-up engine hood, or ANY access to the engine itself from above at all. Dipsticks/filler-caps/reservoirs are accessed under both the front and rear trunk-lids (more on that below). I couldn't find the car's battery with just a casual search....it seemed well-hidden for optimum weight-distribution. Frankly, I myself wouldn't own a car with that kind of restriction to the engine, and even Porsche Technicians must find it, in the shop, at times, a pain in the a**. But, of course, my view here is probably in the minority.....most Boxster owners are so in love with their cars that, to them, this is apparantly not an issue. Hank, though, was a guy who actually WORKED on his cars....though he dealt with repair-shops when or if he had to.

INTERIOR:

The new Boxster's interior is pure Porsche in almost every sense of the word. Yet, like other Porsches, it also shows far better trim and material-quality than that of even a few years ago....and, in comparison, the old, relatively stark interior of my restaurant-friend's 1997 Boxster still comes to mind. The ignition-switch is still on the left (more on that below). The large, easily-seen center-mounted tachometer and smaller adjacent speedometer are also vintage-Porsche (some other automakers, on their sport-oriented models, are now copying that layout). There is, of course, no rear seat, but bigger guys like me (6' 2") have JUST adequate room up front if care is taken to position the seat and steering-column precisely. Some more upward-travel of the steering column would be appreciated, though, especially for long, large legs trying to cope with the poorly-spaced manual-transmission pedals (more on that later). The seat upholstery was officially called "Partial Leather", but, to my senses, it was hard to tell the true cowhide from the fake stuff....both had a slick, smooth, upmarket feel, though the cushion-padding was a little firmer than I like. The lack of at least some power-controls for the seat on a $56,000 car, IMO, is notable.....but Porsche has been traditionally about driving, not necessarily equipment-for-the-buck. Most of the interior trim materials, *****/controls, and hardware was solid and first-rate, especially compared to the junk inside that I can recently remember from a lot of American-badged vehicles from not long ago. The stereo had a killer sound (in some ways, I couldn't tell it from a Mark Levinson stereo)......really a vast improvement for a German car, as some of their stereos, over the years, have tended to be second-rate at best. Headroom up front was just adequate for a guy my height and baseball-cap with the top up. The video-screens for the GPS and radio/infotainment systems had their usual levels of complexity (I've never been a fan of them). The Germans are known for not putting much attention into cupholders, and, yes, it shows in the Boxster. Both fold-out front cupholders are tucked away behind the same thin trim-strip above the glovebox, on the right side of the dash, and you must first push in the spring-folding trim piece itself to flip it down and access the cupholders. Then you fiddle with another mechanism to pop the holders out, and another one to actually unfold them for use. Then do everything in reverse to put them back. I'll just drink my coffee at home, Thank You.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

The Boxster, of course, like some other mid-engine cars, has two luggage compartments....one up front, where the engine would be in most cars, and another one in back, behind the mid-located engine itself. Nice gas-struts hold both of them up for you (as they should for the price) without cheap manual prop-rods. Both compartments, as required by Federal law, have emergency pull-releases for small children trapped inside....the one up front seemed to work particularly well. Because space is at a premium in cars of this type, even a temporary spare tire was not provided. Instead, you hook up a bottle of Fix-a-Flat compressed-air (and just hope it doesn't leak out while you're trying to get through a gang-infested city at 2 AM).

Actually, though, by the usual sports-car standards, the Boxster has a pretty good amount of total trunk-space if you combine both the front and rear cargo compartments. No, it's not a Chevy/GMC Suburban, and you won't be able to take the whole family/kids/luggage/pets to Grandma's house in it, but there's enough space for one or two people to travel with a reasonable amount of gear. The cargo-area linings/trimmings aren't luxury-grade by any means, but seem to be done in durable, well-wearing materials. Both of them are quite deep, so tall but narrow things can sometimes be carried too. At the rear of each compartment (front and back), as mentioned above, are some remote-accesses to engine-fluids/dipsticks/reservoirs.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.7L flat-six with a plastic key-fob inserted/twisted into an ignition slot (yes, in the Porsche tradition, to the left of the steering column), instead of the more usual engine Start/Stop button for this class of car. The flat six fires up and comes to life wth a clearly audible throaty idle exhaust-purr, though vibration is well-damped. If you want a Lexus LS460-quiet car, look elsewhere.....this is not the machine for you. On the road, the engine is not necessarily super-noisy, but, like sports-cars, lets you know when its mechanicals are working. Of course, having the mid-mounted engine right behind the cabin, just a few inches across a partition from your ears, amplifies the noise-level a little, though the well-insulated top helps some. The engine's 206 ft-lbs. of torque, as I explained above, goes a long way in a car of this size and weight, and, while it won't keep up with its far more expensive Carrera, 911 Turbo, or GT2/GT3 brothers, definitely gets out of its own way. This car, even as the base model, is no slouch...it will give you a significant shove in the back, particularly in the lower gears. A SPORT button on the console reprograms the engine's computer for even sharper response, but lower gas mileage (it can be turned off, as with the tracton control). Another console buttton, if desired, controls whether or not the engine comes to a stop at rest to save idle-fuel (the air-conditioning remains on with an electric compressor).

I generally found the 6-speed manual transmission well-done, but a little less-impressive than the engine (or the chassis/brakes, as we'll see in a minute). The shift-linkage was reasonably crisp, only slightly notchy, and, in the sports-car tradition, had relatively short throws. The simple, no-nonsense lever and ball-shaped shift handle was a welcome change from the (needlessly) complex designs found in some cars. The clutch pedal's operation was smooth, and (usually) engaged seamlessly. But there were two basic problems. One, I didn't care for the way that Porsche programmed the manual transmission shift-indicator light on the dash. I've long favored stick-shift cars having indicator lights to show what gear you are in, but, of course, to PREVENT a skipped-shift or accidental gear-engagement that could stall, lug, or over-speed the engine. To do that, the indicator light should show you what gear the lever is in BEFORE the clutch is released and engages. But the system on the Boxster doesn't do that....it waits until AFTER you release the pedal and actually engage the gear to tell you that you're in second/fourth when you should be in sixth, or in third/fifth when you should be in first. A bad design, IMO. But the physical location of the clutch pedal itself, IMO, is even worse. I never did get completely used to it during the test-drive. Because a BIG dead-pedal for your left foot is built into the wheel-well, all three of the rather small pedals are offset way off to the right. It's not too bad with the gas or brake pedal, but the clutch pedal's location was just miserable for my big size-15 clown-shoe, and I had some real problems trying to adapt to it, even stalling out the engine once on a start. My left foot would inevitably catch on the dead-pedal rest almost every time I tried to push or release the clutch pedal. One of the Porsche salespeople inside said that, with his size-14 shoe, he had pretty much the same problem in the Boxster, so it wasn't just my imagination (and at least this guy was friendly and down-to-earth......some Porsche reps and service-people have traditionally been as snooty and aristocratic as David Letterman). Of course, this would have been Hank's car, not mine, and, while I forget what his shoe-size actually was, I'm sure it was considerably smaller than a 14 or 15, so he probably wouldn't have had as much of a problem.

The chassis is, and has been, for some time, one of the Boxster's strongest points (much of the car's reputation is built on it). I expected excellent handling and a good ride-comfort/handling combination, and that's just what this car delivers. By sports-car standards (and, just as important, MY standards), the ride comfort was, if not limo-smooth, at least tolerable over sharp bumps and/or broken pavement. On smooth or lightly-broken asphalt, it actually was borderline comfortable....something I can't say for many pure sports-cars. Steering response was a superb combination of very quick response, billiard-table-flat cornering with almost no body roll, the aforementioned relatively decent ride-comfort, and (unusual for a mid-engined car) relatively stable tracking. I say unusual for a mid-engine car because my previous experience with some other mid-engine cars (Toyota MR2, Fiat X1-9, Pontiac Fiero, etc....) usually meant that having the engine back behind the cabin (and well behind the front-axle) gave the car enough of a rearward weight-bias that there wasn't enough weight on the front wheels to give them a gyro-stablizing effect at higher speeds. So, in a car like that, on a long straight road, I'd constantly be making small steering corrections to keep from drifting out of my lane. Not with the Boxster, though .....the Porsche people, no matter where the engine is, know how to design suspensions and steering systems. Steering feel, typical of Porsches, was smooth yet firm, with good feedback. The well-insulated top helped with road/wind noise while it was up, though, as expected, this car is not Lexus-quiet by any means (nor is it expected to be). The power-top goes up or down in about 10 seconds, and can be operated while the car is moving forward at slower speeds, though you have to push the power-window switches separately to drop the windows with it. A trunk-lid spoiler automatically raises at high-speeds...a device which is probably either gimmicky or unceessary at American-legal speeds. The wind-blocker between the rear seats, for American roads, probably makes more sense.....it does a decent job of blocking the worst of the wind-turbulence, so my cap stayed on. I didn't have to stop and go pick it up off the middle of the road behind me (it, and/or me, would probably have been squashed by traffic).

In the Porsche tradition of superlative brakes (partially due to the forward weight-transfer characteristics of mid/rear-engine designs), jabbing the brake pedal is like tossing a submarine-class anchor out of a rowboat (Hank, being an ex-submariner, would have liked that comparison). And the firm pedal, as usual on German sport-oriented cars, has virtually no sponginess/free play. The pedal also, fortunately, despite its very close location to the gas pedal, didn't give my big size-15 shoes and problems while lifting off the gas.....too bad the clutch pedal couldn't say the same.

THE VERDICT:

Well, of course, I went into this review both with a sense of checking out the Boxster itself, and, of course, facing the loss of Hank himself. To an extent, I live, breathe, and sleep cars, but no car is more important than (or can replace) a human life. Hank's gone now, having served our country in two ways....both in the military and as a civilian. He put in a lot of years on the job, and would have soundly deserved a Federal retirement if cancer had not struck at the time it did. But I remember the good times we had....with our other friends as well, often watching car-related shows like Top Gear at cookouts. Yes, I'm sure that Hank would enjoyed having a new Boxster, although he also liked the C5 and C6-generation Corvette. But, back through the years, up till just recently, Hank always seemed to have a vintage Porsche of one kind or another in his garage, defecting once, though, to a Datsun 240Z classic in pretty good condition except for leaky fuel-lines (I actually caught one of those leaks as he was starting up the engine in his garage one day).

Hank, of course, is not the only person who would have liked a new Boxster.....so, of course, I'm posting this review for all of you Porsche-O-Philes as well. And, of course, in the memory of the young actor James Dean, arguably the most famous American Porsche-O-Phile (who liked Porsches in an age when Detroit ruled and many foreign-sourced vehicles were frowned upon here)....sadly killed in his Porsche Speedster in 1955 when a Ford sedan driven by a college student carelessly pulled out right in front of him.

RIP, Hank. RIP, James.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-24-13 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 06:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry for your loss.

Great review goes without saying. Until this latest iteration of the Boxster I really had no interest and always found them to be too feminine for my tastes. This one however had changed my mind (though I still probably prefer its hardtop sibling Cayman).
Old 06-17-13, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sorry for your loss.
Thanks, but one good thing was that Hank outlasted the Doctor's predictions for him by at least several months.

Great review goes without saying.
Again, Thanks. I put even more time and effort into this one than usual.

Until this latest iteration of the Boxster I really had no interest and always found them to be too feminine for my tastes.

I still probably prefer its hardtop sibling Cayman
Even with my general disregard for automotive stereotypes, I find it rather hard to imagine a Boxster as a "Feminine" or "Chick" car, especially the S models. This is a car built to DRIVE (and, if desired, drive hard)....not just to stroll around in on a sunny day with long blonde hair flapping in the breeze. More often than not, women who (may) have originally looked at a Boxster probably ended up buying a Miata, Beetle convertible, or VW EOS at half the price.

I agree with you, BTW, that the Cayman, with its hard-top and greater frame-rigidity, may (?) be more-suited for hard driving, But, nevertheless, I didn't notice any significant amount of cowl-shake (one of the traditional banes of convertibles) in the Boxster.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 07:11 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even with my general disregard for automotive stereotypes, I find it rather hard to imagine a Boxster as a "Feminine" or "Chick" car, especially the S models. This is a car built to DRIVE (and, if desired, drive hard)....not just to stroll around in on a sunny day with long blonde hair flapping in the breeze. More often than not, women who (may) have originally looked at a Boxster probably ended up buying a Miata, Beetle convertible, or VW EOS at half the price.
Especially the first generation had little muscle to it which is why I call it feminine despite seeing tons of male businessmen driving them. Over the years it's gotten better especially in design but up until now I found nothing compelling (granted I'm not the biggest vert fan to begin with). Design doesn't dictate how it performs though, which is one of the few cars that feels pure on the road
Old 06-17-13, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

very sorry to hear about your friend hank.

excellent review, of an excellent car. i believe 'sports cars' don't mean sedans, or anything heavy. the boxster was kinda cheap and cheesy when it came out, but boy has it been refined and improved. fabulous car!
Old 06-17-13, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Especially the first generation had little muscle to it which is why I call it feminine despite seeing tons of male businessmen driving them.
sexist comment aside driving a 'slow' car that handles amazingly well is, to me at least, way more fun than driving an incredibly fast car on public roads.
Old 06-17-13, 08:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't think the original Boxster was any good. It had lackluster performance, looked and felt cheap, and there were very little reason to own one, other than the badge.

These days the Boxster is quite an impressive car, but for the money give me 335/435 anytime.
Old 06-17-13, 10:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I didn't think the original Boxster was any good. It had lackluster performance, looked and felt cheap, and there were very little reason to own one, other than the badge.
the original boxster was still a blast to drive, but i agree with your comments.

These days the Boxster is quite an impressive car, but for the money give me 335/435 anytime.
except the 335/435 are NOTHING like a boxster.
Old 06-17-13, 11:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sexist comment aside driving a 'slow' car that handles amazingly well is, to me at least, way more fun than driving an incredibly fast car on public roads.
I should have been more specific. A more masculine look is what I was referring too, or rather lack of. Soft edges, not so pronounced fenders
Old 06-18-13, 01:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think I'm more moved from your words about Hank than the car review itself. What a nice gesture on your behalf. If Hanks's at a good place right now, I'm sure he's smiling down at this.

So about the Boxster. What a slick looking car. Always liked it, and this version looks even better. Also impressive fuel economy for such a high-performing vehicle. This is clearly one of those rare times one can have his cake and eat it too.

Not a fan of brown cars, and a Porsche wearing it doesn't help the cause. And we've all chuckled at the silly price for options, so I won't mention that.

Lastly, you are right about the dealer's snooty attitude. I guess it comes with the territory, but I can't imagine all buyers being snooty or wanting to be treated that way. I know a few wealthy people through my family and work who are very friendly and genuine. I can't imagine them putting up with a stuffy salesman. So I wonder how it all unfolds in the showroom. And speaking of stuffy, did you get any static for wanting to take such a car out for a test/review?
Old 06-18-13, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
excellent review, of an excellent car.
Thanks, Paul.

I believe 'sports cars' don't mean sedans, or anything heavy. the boxster was kinda cheap and cheesy when it came out, but boy has it been refined and improved. fabulous car!
I agree that the original didn't have the quality/refinement of this new one, but don't forget that it still went over like free beer at Clancy's. Even with the addition of a second plant in Finland, waiting-lists for late-90s models were up to a year or more....as another friend of mine, as I described in the review, found out.
Old 06-18-13, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think I'm more moved from your words about Hank than the car review itself. What a nice gesture on your behalf. If Hanks's at a good place right now, I'm sure he's smiling down at this.
He did a lot of things for me (and our other friends), and asked very little in return....other than me being a designated driver once in a while.

Also impressive fuel economy for such a high-performing vehicle. This is clearly one of those rare times one can have his cake and eat it too.
Well, the fuel economy, of course, at least partially comes from the fact that it has a relatively small flat-six engine, light weight, and tall 5th and 6th gears.

Not a fan of brown cars, and a Porsche wearing it doesn't help the cause.
Yes, the Boxster has some mortuary colors, but it also has several colors that will (trust me) definitely open your eyes.

And we've all chuckled at the silly price for options, so I won't mention that.
When you look at what parts/service bills for a Porsche can be (when not done free or under warranty) you sure won't chuckle.

And speaking of stuffy, did you get any static for wanting to take such a car out for a test/review?
Nope. Not from the guy I actually dealt with (he seemed too young to be really aristocratic). But some of those guys (and women) there in the sales department pretty much ignored me....even those who weren't busy with customers. I guess I wasn't dressed well enough for them.....though I'm not a complete slob in my daily dress, I usually don't go around looking like Donald Trump
Old 06-18-13, 09:10 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gps Navi in the gauge display is pretty cool an unique
Old 06-18-13, 09:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the review Mike.

And thank you for sharing your buddy's story. I find it quite a perfect fit to share his story with other car enthusiasts. He surely shares a common passion that connects us all.

It's good to see that the new Boxster is almost better in every way compared to previous generations: the technology, the material quality, the balanced chassis. Are the engine and transmission carryovers? I know Porsche typically "upgrades" the powertrain midcycle with most models. I think they also prevent the Boxster from creeping up towards 911-performance territory by giving it "subpar" powertrains (well, subpar for Porsche, but still a benchmark for many).

Have you tested the Porsche Boxster Spyder in the past? Although discontinued, I wonder how its weight-saving engineering has trickled from the previous Boxster generation to this new one. And then again, I think they may be completely different monsters, the Spyder being more track-worthy; but then again, the Boxster ain't that much of a slouch either.

P.S. Any idea why the Cayman is more expensive than the Boxster? I mean, convertible versions of a coupe are typically more expensive, but the Cayman/Boxster counters this generalization.
Old 06-18-13, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thank you for the review Mike.
Anytime, Phil. Glad to share it.

And thank you for sharing your buddy's story. I find it quite a perfect fit to share his story with other car enthusiasts. He surely shares a common passion that connects us all.
He's not the first automotive-friend I lost due to cancer. Another old friend I worked with (and lived near) passed away from cancer in the 1990s. But he had been a school-bus mechanic before he worked with us, and had been exposed to asbestos in the brake-linings in the days before asbestos was outlawed. Asbestos, of course, like tobacco-smoke, is a known carcinogen.

It's good to see that the new Boxster is almost better in every way compared to previous generations: the technology, the material quality, the balanced chassis. Are the engine and transmission carryovers? I know Porsche typically "upgrades" the powertrain midcycle with most models. I think they also prevent the Boxster from creeping up towards 911-performance territory by giving it "subpar" powertrains (well, subpar for Porsche, but still a benchmark for many).
The original Boxster, from what I remember, had a 5-speed manual and Tiptronic automatic. Dual-clutch automanuals and 6MTs hadn't been developed back then. Even with the original drivetrains, though, the late-90s Boxsters (at least by my standards) could still get out of their own way.

Have you tested the Porsche Boxster Spyder in the past?
Yes, I did one about 6 or 7 years ago, but my reviews, back then, weren't as comprehensive as today....and they didn't include images.

Although discontinued, I wonder how its weight-saving engineering has trickled from the previous Boxster generation to this new one. And then again, I think they may be completely different monsters, the Spyder being more track-worthy; but then again, the Boxster ain't that much of a slouch either.
Technically, ALL Boxsters are Spyders (if you accept the definition of "Spyder" as meaning "convertible"). To my knowledge, there were no production hardtop Boxsters......which is why the Cayman was developed.

And weight-savings, BTW, can only go so far. Government regulations (and public demand) keeps requiring more and more standard equipment in cars these days....which doesn't help with the diet much.

P.S. Any idea why the Cayman is more expensive than the Boxster? I mean, convertible versions of a coupe are typically more expensive, but the Cayman/Boxster counters this generalization.
An excellent question. You might have to ask the Porsche marketers that one. I don't see a whole lot of difference in equipment between the two, and it's a good point that droptops (usually) cost more than their hardtop brothers. The Cayman's engine is tuned to produce only a couple of more HP/torque than the Boxster's and the transmissions are the same, so it isn't in the drivertrains. One thing that may (?) be helping to keep the Boxster's price down, however, is the fabric top vs. a folding hard-top. But, even then, the fabric top on the Boxster seems to be made from durable, expensive liner-material.....and it comes with an expensive-to-produce power-actuation system that can be used even at low forward speeds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-13 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: MM Special-Review: 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster