Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Special-Review: 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 09:03 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review as I've always had a thing for Porsche especially the Cayman S. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. You have my condolences.
Old 06-24-13, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
Thanks for the review
Glad you liked it.

as I've always had a thing for Porsche especially the Cayman S.
Yeah...a great sports-car, but once you start getting into the "S" range, you're talking real money. Even Boxster S models, which are somewhat cheaper than their Cayman S counterparts, can run 75K or more with options....they had a 2013 Boxster S at the dealership which listed for over 76K.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. You have my condolences.
Thanks. It's just a shame he didn't get to enjoy a true retirement after those years of work.
Old 06-24-13, 10:10 AM
LexFather

You missed the Jag F-type as a competitor, they go head to head.

Old 06-24-13, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
You missed the Jag F-type as a competitor, they go head to head.
The F-type is in a substantially higher price range (starting at 69K) than an entry-level Boxster, but, yes, I agree that it can be considered a competitor to the Boxster S. I'll go back and note that in the review. Thanks.
Old 06-11-15, 01:56 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Just ran across this thread, nice tribute to your friend Marshall.

I have been driving & working on 986 Boxsters for 15 years & want to add a few points.
1997 Boxster debuted in the USA with base MSRP of $39,995 & 2.5L engine making 201 HP & the 5-speed manual transmission was standard, as it is today. Boxster S comes standard with the 6-speed manual. Then, as now the engine is accesable after removing a panel underneath the conv. top. Most servicing is done from underneath the engine.
The 987 Boxster/Cayman are essentially the same platform. The Cayman was designed to be a higher performing car & marketed as a step up from the Boxster to justify it's higher cost. Cayman engines usually have 10-15 more HP.
981 series Box/Cay's have aluminum front fenders,doors,hoods & decklids. Dings can happen!

For the naysayers out there, I too scoffed at the low HP ratings & just about everything about the pristine 1986 911 Turbo look widebody I test drove. (owned by Stephaine Powers) Until I drove a 2000 Boxster S 250HP. Like I tell everybody, don't drive one unless you can afford to buy it! Quite simply the funnest device ever invented by man!

After driving mine several years, a power improvment plan became available:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...estigated.html

Upper engine access:
Attached Thumbnails MM Special-Review: 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster-dsc01090.jpg  
Old 06-11-15, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Just ran across this thread, nice tribute to your friend Marshall.
Thanks. He passed away a couple of years ago, but is not forgotten.

I have been driving & working on 986 Boxsters for 15 years
You'll probably remember, then, the enormous backlog of orders Porsche had during the first two years of production. Another friend of mine (not the one who passed away) ordered a new Boxster in March of 1997. He took delivery of it in April of 1998.......a thirteen-month wait, even after Porsche added a second Boxster assembly plant in Finland. By delivery time, he had a brand-new but essentially a year-old car....with depreciation.

981 series Box/Cay's have aluminum front fenders,doors,hoods & decklids. Dings can happen!
Yes, but that light weight also contributes to the car's excellent handling....some of the best I've experienced outside of a Lotus Elise or Mazda Miata.

Like I tell everybody, don't drive one unless you can afford to buy it! Quite simply the funnest device ever invented by man!
I'm used to test-drives. I drive a lot of vehicles, for various reasons (both for me and others), without buying them.