Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 BMW 4 series.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 07:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Boy, did BMW start some confusion with their new model hierarchy... I can't imagine the clusterpluck Infiniti will cause with all the Qs.
Old 06-17-13, 08:00 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know why BMW is now making what looks to be pop-up nav screens, unlike their older models where they had them neatly inside a hood that blocked all the glare? Is it cost cutting or is there a good reason for this?
Old 06-17-13, 08:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxteezy
Because the BMW folks started the comparo. The IS is sexier than this car as well.
Not sure where you're looking, but there's no mention of the 4GS in this thread. As far as the IS goes, that's all a matter of opinion. While I'm not attracted to the 3 or 4-series, I expect the sales of this model to be strong, regardless.

Originally Posted by Outrage
It looks like a 3-Series coupe. Eh...
That's exactly what it is. They just renamed the 3-series coupe and made it into the 4-series model line.

Originally Posted by Och
Does anyone know why BMW is now making what looks to be pop-up nav screens, unlike their older models where they had them neatly inside a hood that blocked all the glare? Is it cost cutting or is there a good reason for this?
It's actually not a pop up screen, it's stationary. Mercedes is now moving to that set up as well on some of its models (see newest G-wagen, CLA, upcoming C-class). Screen technology as allowed them to get rid of the binnacle set up is the word. The free standing screen also allows for a lower cowl, improving visibility.

When you think about it, there's really no reason to have the screen attached to a pop up mechanism. For most people, they're listening to the radio or using some i-drive related function so the screen would be up 90% anyways.
Old 06-17-13, 08:18 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's exactly what it is. They just renamed the 3-series coupe and made it into the 4-series model line.
I know, but it looks just like the 3-Series. I believe BMW renamed the 3-Series coupe to the 4-Series in order to command a higher price premium for, what is, a decontented (two less doors) 3-Series.
Old 06-17-13, 08:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I know, but it looks just like the 3-Series. I believe BMW renamed the 3-Series coupe to the 4-Series in order to command a higher price premium for, what is, a decontented (two less doors) 3-Series.
The coupe has always cost more the sedan. The current E90 328i coupe starts at $2k more than the current F30 328i sedan, for example. They're indeed jacking up the price even more now to make the coupe more profitable.

One thing most people fail to notice though is that the coupe and sedan don't actually share many body panels. That alone makes BMW want to pad the profit margin since the coupes don't sell in as high numbers as the sedan. I don't believe the 4-series shares any exterior panels, actually.
Old 06-17-13, 08:28 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I can never get excited about a new bmw design....they all look the same to me.
Old 06-17-13, 09:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
copying Audi? I dont know, they look terrible to me.
Old 06-17-13, 10:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I realize the screens are not pop up, but they are designed to look like pop up. I'm just saying the old design with hood over it was better as it reduced glare.
Old 06-17-13, 10:40 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I realize the screens are not pop up, but they are designed to look like pop up. I'm just saying the old design with hood over it was better as it reduced glare.
But worse because it starts to obstruct the view of shorter drivers, like my wife. That's the biggest single reason we didn't opt for the navigation / idrive stuff in my E93, because she hated the double hump in the dashboard for the screen.
Old 06-17-13, 10:48 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What's so confusing?

3 minus 2 = 4.

Simple maths.
Old 06-17-13, 12:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The BMW 4 series is for Americans like me who are too big to want the 3 series. When I sit in the 3 series I can easily reach back and touch the back support of the back seat. A man who is 6'5" should not drive a car that small. That is the main reason why I bought a GS350 back in the day rather than going with the 335
Old 06-17-13, 05:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The BMW 4 series is for Americans like me who are too big to want the 3 series. When I sit in the 3 series I can easily reach back and touch the back support of the back seat. A man who is 6'5" should not drive a car that small. That is the main reason why I bought a GS350 back in the day rather than going with the 335
isnt it the same size?
Old 06-17-13, 05:35 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Have you sat in the new F30 or driven it? It's a lot bigger than the old E90. I'm 6'3" and can easily and comfortably "sit behind myself" with room to spare, and ingress/egress is way improved over the E90 as well. The F30 is the true replacement for the 1997-2003 E39 5-series.
Old 06-17-13, 05:37 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

This car is growing on me quick. I really didn't like it in the beginning, and thought it was pretty plain and boring. A lot of say E92 owners are bias toward this car, and I thought i was guilty of that. Now I can see myself having one. Can't wait to see next M3/M4

The //M(arketing) badge on the side gotta go tho. This car can also seriously benefit from trunk lid spoiler.
Old 06-17-13, 05:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
This car is growing on me quick. I really didn't like it in the beginning, and thought it was pretty plain and boring. A lot of say E92 owners are bias toward this car, and I thought i was guilty of that. Now I can see myself having one. Can't wait to see next M3/M4

The //M(arketing) badge on the side gotta go tho. This car can also seriously benefit from trunk lid spoiler.
time for the new m3?

Quick Reply: 2014 BMW 4 series.