Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any experience with CarMax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 10:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2

This was exactly my situation. Every dealer wanted our Honda but were afraid to step up. I know I was offered more then my vehicle would sell for at the auctions. Since I could pull up auction numbers on my trade and car we wanted to buy I was able to toss out the numbers game and get to the point. I even called my friend, owner of a Honda Dealer, and he said I was crazy to not take their offer. But not every situation works out this way.

It really does boil down to the car your trading in, or having them purchase. Again its all a supply/demand on what they will offer. Having more experience seeing what cars will sell for at the auction they have NO reason to pay "what" you think your car is worth, regardless of age, or what KBB says its worth. Your more common cars, due to the volumes they sell, will drop in value much faster at the auctions. More people trading out of these vehicles in the first year kill it for the rest. Loss of job, not happy, ect...

I did take two cars for CarMax to purchase in the past and the offer was lower then I wanted. I just walked out and went on with my day.
When I got my 2010 ES350 appraised the guy I was working with said there weren't many available at that time, hence a more aggressive offer. He said when a supply of off lease cars become available from the dealers, the prices they pay goes down.
Old 06-08-13, 10:43 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Aren't used IS-F's still in pretty high demand? I would think you'd have more success privately than with carmax.
Old 06-08-13, 11:13 AM
dknn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience has been pretty good at Carmax. I had my 2011 Highlander appraised last year and they offered 32k. It was rear ended within the first month of ownership and it reflected on the carfax report. Carmax did not test drive the car.

I wanted to trade it on on an RX450 and the lexus dealer offered 28k and thought I was lying when I told them Carmax offered 32k. In the end, I ended up giving it to a family member and buying a Cayenne.
Old 06-08-13, 11:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dknn
My experience has been pretty good at Carmax. I had my 2011 Highlander appraised last year and they offered 32k. It was rear ended within the first month of ownership and it reflected on the carfax report. Carmax did not test drive the car.

I wanted to trade it on on an RX450 and the lexus dealer offered 28k and thought I was lying when I told them Carmax offered 32k. In the end, I ended up giving it to a family member and buying a Cayenne.
When the Audi sales rep and sales manager questioned the $28k Car Max offer on my Lexus, I showed them the printed offer from CM. With that, they increased their offer on my trade in. It came in very handy.
Old 06-09-13, 02:58 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of car dealers are willing to buy your car so if Carmax lowballs you, you can always take it elsewhere for a appraisal, but it probably wont be much different. My experience with Carmax was good, although I didn't purchase a car from them. Actually got to test drive a Boss 302 and ISF from them and their service is great. From what I was told, their price is final and non-negotiable, including trade-ins.

I'd of bought the Boss 302 from them but I wasn't satisfied with what they offered me for my M3. I really like their huge inventory and that they can ship a car anywhere from the US but at a price. I wouldn't mind shopping with them if I was ever in the market for a used car.

However, don't let them fool you about only having top notch vehicles in their inventory. I saw a e55 amg on their lot with one missing fog light and the ISF I test drove was in pretty bad condition. Don't fall for their "friendliness" and always look at the car thoroughly.
Old 06-09-13, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I've never bought a car from Carmax (I don't buy used cars), but I have always considered it in the past and I find Carmax cars in general to be rougher than cars on other dealer lots, and more expensive.

That said, I have sold several cars to Carmax and done very well, at times with their offers being several thousand dollars more than what I had been offered elsewhere. It all depends on the car, and the demand at the time.

In terms of it being slow, I don't really get that. Takes them 45 minutes or so to appraise the car, maybe another 45 minutes to process the paperwork and give me a check. I don't consider 1.5 hours slow.
Old 06-09-13, 09:34 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

my understanding is carmax offers fair book value if it comes up a clean fax and after a fast inspection.i sold them a silverado i bought new with my gm employee discount in 04 and i got 400 dollars less then i paid 4 months after i bought it.
that amount was between fair and good and i had 1600 miles on the silverado.
Old 06-09-13, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Carmax is unique from other "we'll buy your car" outfits because they sell their own cars instead of selling them at auction. They know what they have sold the last few models of your car for throughout their footprint, and they value a car based on that instead of auction values or book values.
Old 06-09-13, 04:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc

However, don't let them fool you about only having top notch vehicles in their inventory. I saw a e55 amg on their lot with one missing fog light and the ISF I test drove was in pretty bad condition. Don't fall for their "friendliness" and always look at the car thoroughly.
Agree

Always examine any used vehicle and do your homework. We got a great deal on our purchase and and even better deal on the trade in. While I had a few other options they didn't make sense to loose the tax credit. I obtained the service history of the SUV we purchased. Had it not had a service history I would have never purchased.

You can buy new cars from CarMax, not easy, but they do get new cars to offer. Of course this is not their niche.

I have gone from Leasing cars for business to buying new. I won't lease cars anymore with the minimal usage. I certainly won't purchase/lease a first year model release anymore. This has pushed me to consider used cars when I never had in the past. I plan to "try" and keep my cars a bit longer then I have in the past. So far this hasn't had a great start
Old 06-10-13, 08:07 AM
dknn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Carmax is unique from other "we'll buy your car" outfits because they sell their own cars instead of selling them at auction. They know what they have sold the last few models of your car for throughout their footprint, and they value a car based on that instead of auction values or book values.
Actually, they do send cars deemed unworthy to auction. My best friend works at the corporate office and they are able to purchase them prior to auction. Speaking of which, the employee discount is not that great at Carmax.
Old 06-10-13, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
Agreed....but that, of course, goes for the inspection of any used vehicle, not just at Car Max. One of my friends took me along, some years ago, to look at a used Subaru SVX on the lot at Car Max (he was interested in it)...turned out to have serious trunk-leak, and got everything inside the trunk soaking wet (he changed his mind about buying it). Usually, though, at Car Max, they try to separate the Silk Purses from the Sow's Ears, selling them in two distinct and separate classes....and price-levels. And, if it's a real Sow's Ear (likely to give the owner a lot of problems), in most cases, they won't sell it at all....though the Mercedes you drove may have slipped through the cracks. Also, don't forget that Mercedes itself built unreliable cars, right from their own factories, for a number of years (mid-90s to about 2010), so don't be surprised if a used AMG is going to have some problems....especially with all that power and a temptaton to previous owners to drive aggressively.
Old 06-10-13, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, they do send cars deemed unworthy to auction. My best friend works at the corporate office and they are able to purchase them prior to auction. Speaking of which, the employee discount is not that great at Carmax.
Sure, if they have something unworthy, but they won't have paid a great price for that car. Their ability to sell their own cars at high prices is what provides the upside to us when it comes to selling.

People who have gotten disappointing offers from Carmax have cars that they wouldn't have likely sold on their lots.

Other "we buy your car" outfits have to sell EVERYTHING at auction.
Old 06-10-13, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

congrats on the cayenne

did the dealer actually say you were lying? even if they think that they should never make you feel that they think that! they could just ask to see your carmax trade-in offer, which would be a fair request.
Old 06-10-13, 06:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People who have gotten disappointing offers from Carmax have cars that they wouldn't have likely sold on their lots.
Seldom is this the case. Its more about current inventory, current auction sales, and the condition of your vehicle. Condition is key to your offer. Show up with bald tires, no brakes, ect. These offers will reflect service work that must be completed before they can sell the car.

Other "we buy your car" outfits have to sell EVERYTHING at auction.
This is so far from true, they want to sell it retail.
Old 06-10-13, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by passnu2
This is so far from true, they want to sell it retail.
I'm talking about the guy in a van who drives around and "beats Carmax offers"...he has no platform to sell a vehicle that compares to Carmax. He could not come within $2,500 of what Carmax offered me for our Prius. He showed me the auction prices, Carmax' offer was WAY more.

As for condition...my cars are always in good condition, but I did have a VW New Beetle that I sold to Carmax with all kinds of warning lights on. They gave me thousands more than what anybody else would. Helped that the warning lights didnt come on until 15 minutes into driving

Quick Reply: Any experience with CarMax?