Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend: The Big Test 2013/2014 Full-Size Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 06:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Driven the Avalon several times and never found it bone jarring or uncomfortable. My grandparents who have a 2010 Limited said the same thing.
Can the ride quality really be that bad with about same set up as the ES and have over 7K sales in May?
Old 06-08-13, 06:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Can the ride quality really be that bad with about same set up as the ES and have over 7K sales in May?
I keep seeing poor ride quality mentioned in Avalon reviews. I got an offer in the mail to test drive any Toyota and get a $50 or $75 debit card. I may drive the Avalon and see for myself.
Old 06-08-13, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Amazingly the Avalon is deemed to offer the worst ride comfort among the testers here. Ride comfort had always been the hallmark and the whole point of the Avalon and it should not be traded off in the name of sporty handling. It's great to see the Avalon now excel in the other areas such as interior quality, performance and efficiency, but its core value should never be lost. Hopefully Toyota is listening and will restore the utmost ride comfort that the Avalon used to enjoy when the refresh comes.
i hope they dont listen to one review... If Avalon was good enough to get #1 in C&D, then thats good.

Obviously people love it and they are buying it in droves.

Trying to please everybody is what gets you to Toyota's of 5-6 years back.
Old 06-08-13, 07:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i hope they dont listen to one review... If Avalon was good enough to get #1 in C&D, then thats good.

C&D said the ride sucked too. I'm sure when the Avalon gets refreshed a few years down the road they'll fix it while still maintaining the handling gains they've made.
Old 06-08-13, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Driven the Avalon several times and never found it bone jarring or uncomfortable.
No, it's not bone-jarring in a older pick-up truck or sports-car sense, but, as the article itself said....ride comfort, in a full-size non-sporting sedan, is paramount. And, sorry, but the new Avalon just doesn't deliver as much in that area as much as the older ones.

My grandparents who have a 2010 Limited said the same thing.
The 2010 model was built with noticeably softer suspension/tires than the all-new 2014 model.
Old 06-08-13, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Of course it's a good car. Avalons always have been. But a lot more than just one or two isolated reviews (including Consumer Reports) have commented on the car's unnecessary suspension stiffening. C&D also, like many car-mags, places more of an emphasis on handling than comfort, though they will also comment if they think ride-comfort has been affected too much.

How long will they keep them, though, before trading them in? Many new-car buyers don't take their cars out on thorough-enough test-drives before they sign on the dotted line....then they find out later there are things they don't like.

No. Economizing on their products too much is what got Toyota into the trouble they were in.....although a number of their products, like the Camry, continued to sell in large numbers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-13 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 09:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
C&D said the ride sucked too. I'm sure when the Avalon gets refreshed a few years down the road they'll fix it while still maintaining the handling gains they've made.
I believe Consumers Report and the TV show Motor Week stated the ES had a bit rough ride too.
Old 06-08-13, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I believe Consumers Report and the TV show Motor Week stated the ES had a bit rough ride too.
Again, with the new 6Gen ES, not really rough like a compact pick-up truck, sports-car, etc.....but noticeably firmer and noisier than the previous model, which suggests that they might have also skimped on some sound-deadening. And the previous-gen model (5Gen), was somewhat firmer-riding than the superb 4Gen model, which I thought was the best ES ever done.
Old 06-08-13, 09:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Again, with the new ES, not really rough like compact pick-up truck, sports-car, etc.....but noticeably firmer and noisier than the previous model, which suggests that they might have also skimped on some sound-deadening.
I agree.I just had a new ES w/8K miles loaner.
To me the ride was rougher and the interior noisier than my '12 ES.Don't even get me started on the interior cost cutting.
Old 06-08-13, 09:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I'm noticing with many Toyotas in the last few years is that they tend to outperform in real world MPG, sometimes even exceeding the EPA ratings. When I was looking at the test of the Camry SE V6, Passat SE 3.8 and Sonata 2.0T, I think the Camry was averaging 23-24 MPG for Motor Trend, vs ~21 for the others.

With some manufacturers being "dinged" for cars that don't meet EPA standards, Toyota seems to be doing a pretty fair job of hitting the mark or even understating their cars a bit.
Old 06-08-13, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
One thing I'm noticing with many Toyotas in the last few years is that they tend to outperform in real world MPG, sometimes even exceeding the EPA ratings. When I was looking at the test of the Camry SE V6, Passat SE 3.8 and Sonata 2.0T, I think the Camry was averaging 23-24 MPG for Motor Trend, vs ~21 for the others.

With some manufacturers being "dinged" for cars that don't meet EPA standards, Toyota seems to be doing a pretty fair job of hitting the mark or even understating their cars a bit.
My experience has been that it's not hard at all to meet (or exceed) the highway EPA ratings if you drive at moderate-cruise speeds on relatively level roads, at light loads. That applies not only to Toyotas, but many vehicles. Today's urban traffic, though, in and around major cities (the D.C. and SoCal/L.A. regions, of course, are two of the worst), makes it relatively difficult, though, to get the City ratings.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-13 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
when is the new taurus coming out?
My bet is a 16 model in 2015, though I wouldn't complain if they bumped it up a year

I agree.I just had a new ES w/8K miles loaner.
To me the ride was rougher and the interior noisier than my '12 ES.Don't even get me started on the interior cost cutting.
Don't get ME started
Old 06-08-13, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

just drove a new avalon yesterday. nice car, but was noisier and stiffer than expected.
Old 06-09-13, 06:25 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My view

My own observations after 5 months with an Avalon :
- Ride is firm, and very noticeable when going over large bumps or potholes. I am talking about speedbumps sized objects. It's fine on 90% of the road surface I drive on. If this were a trade off for being a nimble large car it is, then I'd say it's worthwhile. I found myself not noticing the size of such large/long vehicle until I try to fit it into standard parking lanes. I suspect Toyota is doing this on purpose to appeal to a slightly different group of buyers (more on this later), because the original one seemed to be shrinking. Maybe on the refresh they should give a softer riding package option for those looking for one (replace the those standard 45 series tires is probably going to help a lot).
- Engine noise is only present when cold. The car is the quietest vehicle I have owned outside of a hybrid on battery mode.
- The engine and the tranmission work extremely well together.
- 20 MPG lifetime, with 90% city and lots of short trips. Regular gas helps at the pump.

I did not know I wanted an Avalon due to its previous image of being a vehicle for the older segment. I went looking for a DD in the midsize segment. I test drove the usual suspects Camry, Optima, Altima and Accord. I almost went with the TCH until the rep asked me to drive the brand new Avalon just showed up at the dealership. I came back very impressed with the ride and handling for such large a car. I also liked the new younger styling especially the front and backends. To me this feels exactly like the Camry version I wanted but was made available!