Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura mulling over compact crossover to go against BMW X1

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 07:03 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura mulling over compact crossover to go against BMW X1

Acura mulling over compact crossover as popularity increases in US, may go against BMW X1, Buick Encore

Amidst news that Acura has been shifting about the packaging options for its base ILX sedan, word is that the luxury automaker is seeking to compete in the compact luxury SUV segment against the likes of the BMW X1 and Buick Encore.

Due to the growing demand and popularity of compact CUVs, Acura is supposedly taking the segment very seriously after originally expressing interest in downsizing its crossover offerings. Acura already did so by axing the mid-sized ZDX crossover.

Additionally, Acura did hint at a compact crossover with the CUV concept it debuted at the 2013 Shanghai Auto Show. Not to mention, Acura increased the size of its previous compact crossover, the RDX, to help it move upmarket. That said, Acura is a bit shy in the compact crossover department and they’re apparently not willing to let this opportunity slip.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2013/06/06...-buick-encore/

They should definitely continue to move downmarket and fill in as many lower priced segments as they can. The MDX & RDX are two of their most successful lines, so this new model would probably do well.
Old 06-06-13, 07:24 PM
LexFather

The RDx goes against the x1. The RDx is cr-v based... What would this be fit based?

More lameness to be expected

Old 06-06-13, 07:32 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The RDx goes against the x1.
The RDX competes against the X3
Old 06-06-13, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
The RDX competes against the X3
Not in the real world. Data shows acuras are cross shopped with Toyota and Honda. The RDX is CR-V based and offers by far the least tech in the 30-40k range. It's not x3 competition.

Old 06-06-13, 07:57 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Not in the real world. Data shows acuras are cross shopped with Toyota and Honda. The RDX is CR-V based and offers by far the least tech in the 30-40k range. It's not x3 competition.
Where is this data that you mention?

Check out these sources that show what the RDX competes against:

http://www.cars.com/acura/rdx/2012/

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/futur..._rdx_2013.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/cars/acura_rdx

According to the EPA, the X1 is not even considered an SUV.
Old 06-06-13, 08:02 PM
LexFather

I am not arguing I'm telling you. It's not for debate. You can link the universe no BMW or X3 shoppers consider a cr-v based RDX. None. Acura can say what they would like it to compete against but the X3 is far more advanced, luxurious with more tech and features with more performance and a higher price.

I'm in the industry, you should be thankful to be told these things instead of arguing against it. They also say the TL competes with the GS and RLX is a flagship. They are only fooling themselves and fanboys clueless to the automotive industry.

Old 06-06-13, 08:19 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

I am not arguing I'm telling you. It's not for debate. You can link the universe no BMW or X3 shoppers consider a cr-v based RDX. None. Acura can say what they would like it to compete against but the X3 is far more advanced, luxurious with more tech and features with more performance and a higher price.
This is an opinion, not a fact. There is a clear distinction between the two. The real experts know that the RDX competes against the X3. To use price as an argument to support your opinion, is irrelevant because anything by BMW (and MB) is almost always more expensive than anything else in its class. I can make the argument that a BMW shopper doesn't consider any other vehicle besides a BMW (and I might be right), but again that would be my opinion, not a fact. Do you have the data that shows the X1 is cross-shopped with the RDX?

I'm in the industry, you should be thankful to be told these things instead of arguing against it. They also say the TL competes with the GS and RLX is a flagship. They are only fooling themselves and fanboys clueless to the automotive industry.
Who's they? Acura? I was referring to the experts and the model's EPA class.
Old 06-06-13, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Lol it's Crv based.. That compets against an x3? Lmfao

Same disillusionment that strikes them strikes their loyal fans.

Yeah the RDx is x3 competition