Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should running a red light at an empty intersection be legalized?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
That's exactly my point that they don;t know what the hell they're doing. Calming traffic is to reduce it's speed and increase flow not to STOP it. Yield sign on the other hand is it a calming traffic measure.
That is the reason why Stop sign is never considered a traffic calming measure.
This technique was invented in Europe so I guess americans didn;t quite got it right.
I don't want to get too far off the thread-topic (running red lights) ....but one thing that p***es me off about neighborhoods that want more and more of these traffic-impeding devices is that they seem to think that their residential streets are their own little private fiefdoms......even though everyone pays taxes to support (and freely use) these streets.
Old 06-06-13, 09:24 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to get too far off the thread-topic (running red lights) ....but one thing that p***es me off about neighborhoods that want more and more of these traffic-impeding devices is that they seem to think that their residential streets are their own little private fiefdoms......even though everyone pays taxes to support (and freely use) these streets.
I do agree with you on that. It is a pain to drive in the neighborhoods with 1000 stop signed and bumpers that doesn;t make any sense as I said before, it's very common in Florida to have a speed bump 5 feet before a stop sign. Is it really necessary?! Either one or the other not both.. More than that some people put their own sign with "SLOW down kids playing" or crap like that.
Old 06-06-13, 09:32 AM
ISFNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
What would help to me is more round abouts and less lights. I know its not feasible at every interesection but it would keep traffic flowing at larger ones.

Maybe we need updated lights and sensors that turn them into 4 way stops (all red) when there isn't traffic.
agreed they have them all across Europe and as well as the middle east...
Old 06-06-13, 10:17 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Look forward-look left-look right-look behind you.

No other cars around, no cops, AND no traffic cam..........use your discretion

Besides, how often does this come up?

We don't need politicians, flying in their jet, staying at exp. hotels, wasting more $$$ to propose another bill

I don't know if it should be legalized, but I do it ALL THE TIME.

Really, they should just be on flashers anyway at a certain time. Too many red lights in my suburban neighberhood after 10pm.

And I certainly don't follow all the traffic laws when I'm on my 10-speed. I will stop at the light, but if the intersection is clear, I'm going.....even if it's rush hour.

I wish some cop would pull me over on my 10-speed.

Last edited by KevinGS; 06-06-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 10:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy answer.

Go to India.

Everybody over there is allowed (not legally though, but they still do) to make an executive decision to cross the intersection with a red light when there is no traffic. This accompanied by a blaring horn, akin to yelling Fore at a Golf game earns you the right to cross the road.
Even this truck (and all others too) agree to that rule.

Last edited by chikoo; 06-06-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 10:51 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
No, that's a stupid solution to the problem. Fix the red lights, don't legalize running red lights....
well said.
Old 06-06-13, 10:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

And this is what a roundabout does....useless concept. Good only in theory and workable as long as all the drivers on the road have the same IQ.

Old 06-06-13, 10:59 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

ha ha

Old 06-06-13, 11:01 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here, in the U.S., they are considered 'traffic-calming" measures. Neighborhood civic groups want them, figuring they will deter potential traffic onto main roads. Well, most of the time, they don't deter traffic....they just add to the number of times you have to brake/accelerate, putting more wear and tear on your car.

I have called them out as "equalizers" as they prevent people driving faster than the speed limit to actually reach their destination any faster than the one who is driving at the speed limit.
Old 06-06-13, 11:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I think a big problem in the U.S. is the idea of right-of-way.

Americans want to be first, go get them, "I'm important", and "It's all about me!" self-entitled mentality. This applies to roundabouts, intersections, and such.

Pair that with a litigious mentality, and we've got lawyers hoping for more "I had the right of way" accidents, only proving that most drivers out there are selfish *******s.
Old 06-06-13, 11:43 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think a big problem in the U.S. is the idea of right-of-way.

Americans want to be first, go get them, "I'm important", and "It's all about me!" self-entitled mentality. This applies to roundabouts, intersections, and such.

Pair that with a litigious mentality, and we've got lawyers hoping for more "I had the right of way" accidents, only proving that most drivers out there are selfish *******s.
This makes me think of 4 way stop so true
Old 06-06-13, 12:44 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone experienced a "continuous flow intersection'? http://www.continuousflowintersections.org/

They seem like pretty interesting concepts.

And then of course there are "michigan lefts" in which you either overshoot the road and make a u-turn, and then a right turn. Or turn right, and then make a u-turn.

Old 06-06-13, 02:37 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Would definetly take me some time to understand that if i had to drive on it.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Has anyone experienced a "continuous flow intersection'? http://www.continuousflowintersections.org/

They seem like pretty interesting concepts.

And then of course there are "michigan lefts" in which you either overshoot the road and make a u-turn, and then a right turn. Or turn right, and then make a u-turn.