Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda's future plans cut Acura TSX platform

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 09:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I think Acura and Honda for that matter are simply content. They just want to make cars and live by "if it ain't broke don't fix it". They are not innovators and simply ignore automotive trends until their hand is forced.
Old 06-06-13, 11:58 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think Acura and Honda for that matter are simply content. They just want to make cars and live by "if it ain't broke don't fix it". They are not innovators and simply ignore automotive trends until their hand is forced.
This is correct, and unless there is a market correction ie, drastic decrease in sales and profit, there will be no change in course on the good ship honda.
Old 06-11-13, 08:30 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked the TSX a lot. Both generations. The new Accord Touring provides a really compelling alternative in terms of value, but here are my thoughts:

-The TSX and TSX Wagon will have a short MY2014 run

-The drop in TSX sales starting in Sept 2012 coincides with the arrival of the 2013 Accord

-TSX sales are now increasing from their lows experienced during the first 6 months of the Accord's release; likely there were a lot of people fence-sitting who were trying to decide between upper-trim 2013 Accords and the TSX

-Those fence-sitters who were waiting for the 2013 Accord to debut and subsequently chose the Accord over the TSX are now "out of the equation" so to speak, at least in terms of the initial pent-up surge (the TSX will likely continue to lose sales to the new Accord on a trickle basis)

-As of yet, the rumored 2015 TLX has not broken surface or been confirmed. Unless Honda is planning some sort of blitzkrieg style, full-court-press-type launch, this will not show up before next summer. Until then, Acura needs ALL its current sedans in the lineup for coverage. Like any new model, it will have to be introduced and launched over a 6-month period to acclimate the buying public and the dealers.
-The 2015 TLX will need to be revealed in a big auto show, so that means the soonest the public will be exposed to it is Los Angeles 2013 or Detroit 2014 with an on-sale date of May 2014 (My money would be on LA with an on-sale date 5-6 months thereafter)

-In light of all that, the MY2014 TSX will indeed show up in September 2013 and continue production until March or April of 2014

-As of March/April 2014, the last TSXs will leave Japan for America and provide a 90-day supply that will provide a small buffer while the TLX gains a foothold in Acura dealerships

-The TSX's R&D costs are long-since paid for; TSX is basically generating cash for Honda with little to no marketing or continued investment, so they'd be stupid to kill it off and throw away millions in profit. Even at an (conservative) average transaction price of $30,000 at 5% profit and sales of 25,000 a year the TSX lineup generates $750,000,000 in revenue and $37,500,000 in profit for Honda!
Old 01-23-15, 05:23 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Euro-spec Accord (Acura TSX) axed, exec says they won't return to the segment

BARCELONA -- Honda will end sales of the Accord midsize sedan in Europe after the car failed to make headway against German rivals.

“We are running out the Accord and we will not return to the segment,” Leon Brannan, Honda’s UK car division’s boss, told Automotive News Europe at a press event here.

Honda has strugged to sell the Accord in a segment where even the most popular mass-market models such as the Volkswagen Passat and Ford Mondeo are losing sales to premium rivals such as the BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class.

Brannan said the midsize segment is dominated by corporate sales to German premium brands. “The cost to compete is eye-watering,” he said.

Honda launched the Accord in Europe in 1977 and began building the car at its factory in Swindon, England, in 1992. The Accord attracted buyers with its reliability and affordable technology.

However after a production shift from the UK to Japan in 2000, Honda was unable to match discounts offered by European automakers after the yen strengthened against local currencies.

The Accord’s European sales fell 19 percent to 3,453 last year, according to JATO Dynamics market researchers.

Honda’s total vehicle sales in the EU and EFTA markets fell 5 percent to 133,268 last year for a 1 percent market share, according to data from industry body ACEA.

Honda expects its European sales to rebound this year, helped by new models including the HR-V subcompact crossover, which will go on sale in Europe in the spring. The company has also refreshed its top-selling car in Europe, the CR-V compact SUV.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...cord-in-europe
Old 01-23-15, 10:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

in europe, 'average' people and families buy hatchbacks, wagons and now cuvs... and up and comers buy 'brand' sedans even if stripped of gear (bmw, audi, mb, even vw)... leaving cars like the tsx (euro accord) with no market.

expect more sedans to go bye bye...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-24-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 05:15 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Premium badgers really nicely trickled down to economy sedan territory by offering the same driving experience with less or equal amenities of economy brands but with premium badge attached onto the hood and steering wheel and for the same economy price. Its a chance for Toyota to gradually replace Avensis with IS if they offer even lower spec trim and engines but Honda doesn't have that opportunity. TLX could have been a good replacement and it would have sold in good numbers for at least first few years but they didn't want to take any chances I guess. Mazda is really clever with their 6, they gave it premium sporty looks, something Avensis and Accord don't have, and made it bigger in size than 3 or A4. Ugly truth is all those cars mentioned above drive the same and do the same pretty much. OK with A4 2.0t you get a giant turbo lag or transmission hesitation when you kick down the pedal but you have those four rings on the hood to overcome that small annoyance and safety issue in 2015.