Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda's future plans cut Acura TSX platform

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 10:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What would we do without the daily entertainment of Acura. Just when you think it can't get any worse, somehow it does.
I agree, the TSX is the best thing the company has going. But the trick with that car is to lease the base model. It leases for so cheap, it's not even funny.
Future failures: Making the next TL smaller, discontinuing the TSX, the just released RLX, and more.
Old 06-05-13, 03:32 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What effing morons. I just can't believe the sheer stupidity of this company.

The TSX actually sells well and is popular, so discontinue it. Compromise the next TL, in order to push RLX sales, which are never going to sell in the first place. And we all know how well the ILX is selling here....

And don't give me this platform BS either. The Euro Accord isn't selling well so we'll just have to discontinue the entire platform in order to sell even LESS popular models? How bout improving the product so that it actually sells??

Mind boggling.

BTW a co-worker just picked up a new Acura RDX. Will check it out, haven't seen too many on the roads.
Old 06-05-13, 05:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

from here.... http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/
Attached Thumbnails Honda's future plans cut Acura TSX platform-capture.jpg  
Old 06-05-13, 12:29 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
What effing morons. I just can't believe the sheer stupidity of this company.

The TSX actually sells well and is popular, so discontinue it. Compromise the next TL, in order to push RLX sales, which are never going to sell in the first place. And we all know how well the ILX is selling here....

And don't give me this platform BS either. The Euro Accord isn't selling well so we'll just have to discontinue the entire platform in order to sell even LESS popular models? How bout improving the product so that it actually sells??

Mind boggling.

BTW a co-worker just picked up a new Acura RDX. Will check it out, haven't seen too many on the roads.
It's as if they're forcing their customers into certain vehicles that they want to sell instead of actually looking at their customer base and seeing what they like. The last generation TL sold like hotcakes and was probably one of the nicest luxury sedans ever made. So what do they do? They beat it senselessly with the ugly stick, make it larger, more expensive, and sales drop by almost 50%. Why change a winning formula? makes no sense whatsoever.

Then you take the current generation TSX (which in many ways replaced the previous TL in size and price). The TSX now becomes the sales leader of all their sedans for several years until they get the bright idea to want to phase it out, while introducing a rebadged Civic to replace it. Customers are not stupid and I'm laughing at the fact that this now 5 year old TSX is beating the ILX in sales.

They don't have a platform for the TSX anymore? Use the current Accord platform, like they have for every other model. Keep the pricing the same, the dimensions roughly the same, evolve the styling slightly without going overboard, add the latest tech, and bam, new TSX. Problem solved. But no, they'll probably axe it, bring out the TLX and see their market percentage drop even further
Old 06-05-13, 02:16 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
To me the TSX is the perfect near-luxury car. I think It's the best sedan in the lineup
agree, and yet, Acura/Honda somewhat ruined it on the packaging. you can't have the tech package if you go with the special edition trim, and manual tranny is only available with special edition models, therefore you can't have navigation and stick shift together, now how stupid is that?
Old 06-05-13, 03:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is planned/rumored but not confirmed yet they are getting rid of the TSX.

They should not cancel it, the TSX is pretty popular and still has plenty of life left in it especially if they develop it, the ILX is not a worthy replacement, at least not this generations. They should make either the ILX or TSX much more sporty and the other one more luxurious so they don't overlap.
Old 06-05-13, 05:40 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel

They should not cancel it, the TSX is pretty popular and still has plenty of life left in it especially if they develop it, the ILX is not a worthy replacement, at least not this generations. They should make either the ILX or TSX much more sporty and the other one more luxurious so they don't overlap.
Honda has been pretty proactive lately when they see something isn't working, so I do give them credit for that. However, dropping the TSX would be a mistake. Acura is entry level luxury/near luxury. The new RLX is too expensive and is a complete failure already and sales are only going to get worse. IMO, at this point, they should just drop it. No need to bring out an even more expensive hybrid version later this year. It will not sell. They should just sell the RLX for this year, then discontinue it and carry over the best technology from it and bring it into the next generation TL (TLX), which they should make their flagship. Keep the TSX and update it. And the ILX could be their entry model. They don't need 4 sedans and no one is buying a 60k Acura Accord (RLX). Canceling out the TSX and forcing customers to either buy the cheap ILX or the more expensive TL is a terrible idea and will not work
Old 06-06-13, 06:16 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel

On what platform? Accord or civic? Honda isn't GM or Ford, or even Toyota. They don't have the deep parts bin to pull a new car out of thin air. Nor can they afford a new ground up platform for one car. Don't expect an ATS out of Honda.
Old 06-06-13, 06:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrraider
On what platform? Accord or civic?
Euro Accord
Old 06-06-13, 07:53 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

On what platform? Accord or civic? Honda isn't GM or Ford, or even Toyota. They don't have the deep parts bin to pull a new car out of thin air. Nor can they afford a new ground up platform for one car. Don't expect an ATS out of Honda.
Sure they can, they've just committed hundreds of millions of dollars to Formula 1 hybrid engine development, but you think they can't develop a platform for a car they'll actually sell and make money on? Of course they can, they just choose not to time and time again.

So frustrating!
Old 06-06-13, 08:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I would never pay $30K for one...picked mine up used for $21K.

But a select, chosen few are paying $30K for the ILX
That's what my friend did! got her loaded 2010 TSX for ~25K OTD

Gotta spend money to make money.
Old 06-06-13, 11:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Honda can make a Accord, Euro Accord, or civic platform based car very sporty if they want to. They have done it several times in the past with the last TL-S, current TL 6 speed, Civic Type R, Euro Accord Type R, Integra Type R, Prelude, etc. A entry level sedan with a 4 cyl does not need a new rwd platform to be sporty/fun to drive, adding SH-AWD to a tuned ILX or TSX could easily transform that car into something very fun to drive and separate one from the other.

Honda can afford a new platform too, they are still a big company that is very profitable. Under their current leadership they just won't give Acura a rwd platform even though they had one being tested before the financial collapse in 08, maybe after they release the new NSX things will change.
Old 06-06-13, 12:04 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
Euro Accord
That's just it. The Euro Accord platform is being discontinued. They already have the ILX on the Civic platform, and the TL on the Accord platform. doesn't leave much space for a TSX. My guess is Honda decided that refreshing the Euro Accord platform just to keep the TSX alive is not financially worthwhile.
Old 06-06-13, 01:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

That's just it. The Euro Accord platform is being discontinued. They already have the ILX on the Civic platform, and the TL on the Accord platform. doesn't leave much space for a TSX. My guess is Honda decided that refreshing the Euro Accord platform just to keep the TSX alive is not financially worthwhile.
well since the ILX has been a total sales failure, just retain the Euro Accord platform and update the damn TSX --- gentle facelift, re-engine to 'earthscreams', 8 speed slushbox, smart key, etc.
Old 06-06-13, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Lol so like 12 years ago everythjng I said happened. I can't stop laughing. Lol all those defenders and arguments all went to waste.

Too funny.

Quick Reply: Honda's future plans cut Acura TSX platform