Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Just One Car For The Rest Of My Life"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 11:22 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "Just One Car For The Rest Of My Life"

eBay MotorBlog Link

by CarCast with Adam Carolla

Someone asked me if I had to drive just one car for the rest of my life, what would it be? Of course, your gut instinct is to name something crazy like a Bugatti Veyron or a gold-plated Hummer. But that’s like thinking about only being with one woman for the rest of your life and picking a crazy stripper with lots of plastic surgery. Sure, that’s fun for a weekend. Maybe several dozen of them. But we’re talking about the long haul here.

And you can’t just pick your favorite car, either. As far as I’m concerned, the Lamborghini Miura is the best-looking car ever made. But it’s hardly practical for driving the kids to Legloand, much less driving across town in L.A. traffic.

No, you have to find the sweet spot between fun to drive and a reasonable level of practicality for the next 40+ years of your life. When you think about it in terms of the long view, the field gets narrowed pretty quickly. Anything with less than four doors is out.

I’ve driven my wife’s Audi A7 around and I like the feel of it. The size is generous without being a land yacht. The interior is well-appointed. The coachwork is pretty timeless. And with the supercharged V-6, it makes about as much horsepower as you’re going to need. Then again, my Jaguar XFR is as roomy and luxurious as they come. But the mileage of that car might wear thin over the course of a couple of decades.

A hatchback would be really useful, so if you like sitting up high, maybe a Range Rover or a Cayenne? Those are upscale and sporty while still being functional. Plus, my hip is going to go out at some point and it’d be a lot easier getting in and out of an SUV than some low-slung spyder when that happens.

Well, at least for now, I like sitting low more than I like sitting high, so I’m going to say that if I had to drive only one car for the rest of my life, I’d pick the Porsche Panamera. Since it’s a touring sedan, it’d handle a commute as well as the open road. And it’s got that hybrid hatchback/trunk with the fold-down rear seats, so you could put a bunch of junk in the back if you need to. Different versions of the Panamera offer you between 310 and 520 hp, so you can pick the one with the right amount of giddy up.

Unfortunately, Porsches aren’t cheap to fix, so the only potential downside of this choice is maintenance cost. But a lot of guys that race Porsches say they’re actually cheaper to run because they hardly ever break. Hell, my brother in law just bought a ‘77 911 with 272,000 miles on it. Unless you’re the world’s fastest traveling salesman, I have no idea how he put that many miles on a Porsche. And you’d be nuts to buy an American car with that many miles on it. But a mechanic checked it out and said everything was fine. So, who knows, maybe if you take care of a Panamera, it’ll rack up that kind of mileage, too.

So, that’s my pick–the Porsche Panamera. If the fine folks at Porsche see this and want to give me a 40-year loaner to see if I can get 272,000 miles out of it, I’ll be happy to put your Panamera through its paces for you.
Well, alrighty then...
Old 05-31-13, 11:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

true, plus the style will always be classic.......but newer Porsches = more electronics + PDK

Last edited by bagwell; 05-31-13 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-31-13, 12:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the first paragraph was awesome.

really like adam carolla.

so with what's available now folks, what would you pick?

for me it would be a loaded non-turbo porsche cayenne.
Old 05-31-13, 02:11 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone asked this on another cars board I visit (apparently it was posted on some car-related facebook page?).

Anyways, I'm taking a CTS-V. The mileage would be a tad bit lower than I'd like, but everything else is hawtness. I have a feeling the next gen will be greatly improved overall, though, so I'd probably prefer that one if we're allowed to pick cars from the near future, heh.
Old 05-31-13, 02:39 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so with what's available now folks, what would you pick?
Tesla Model S Performance.

Just in case fuel is $80 a gallon forty years from now...
Old 05-31-13, 04:24 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Tesla Model S Performance.

Just in case fuel is $80 a gallon forty years from now...
I concur good sir
Old 05-31-13, 05:35 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to give my vote to the CTS-V Wagon. Gas prices would make it suck but overall it gives me everything I might need from performance to cargo space.
Old 05-31-13, 06:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my thoughts are actually very similar to the author and would pick a panamera too. Second choice would be IS-F, love the 4 door practicality and reliability.
Old 05-31-13, 08:45 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

94/95 NSX with a Veilside Fortune Kit equipped with an FX500 turbo kit. Why? Everyone wants to grow old with the 1st one they fell in love with. You adapt to make it work. Plus I've never been "practical" or owned anything other than coupes.
Old 05-31-13, 08:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It would be a tough choice for me, between a Lexus GS, a Panamera, or a Lexus LX.
Old 06-01-13, 01:44 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this doesn't apply to me then because:

One of my dreams in life is to OWN THOUSANDS OF CARS
Old 06-01-13, 03:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

hard to say, if life means 20-30 years, then, i would guess simple Camry (or equivalent of any brand) would be the best..

:-)

Now dream car 3yr lease? Hmm... Panamera, A7, any Ferrari, 911, new Jags... plenty of choices :-)
Old 06-01-13, 03:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

CTS-V wagon would be great if we're talking new cars. If it were any car, it would be my old 1991 Cadillac Brougham, with the supercharged LSA v8 out of the CTS-V. Loved that old boat.
Old 06-01-13, 03:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Id love an LS...

Big car, lots of tech, lots of room, and a HUGE trunk
Old 06-01-13, 03:52 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Give me the G wagon.

Quick Reply: "Just One Car For The Rest Of My Life"