Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Fit EV lease drops to $259 with no down payment, unlimited miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Honda Fit EV lease drops to $259 with no down payment, unlimited miles

Honda Fit EV lease drops to $259 with no down payment, unlimited miles

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5122594/

When we heard Fiat announce the $199 lease price for the all-electric 500e, we figured it would have a big effect on the electric vehicle market. After all, $200 a month for an EV makes a lot of sense for a lot of commuters. The next EV to get a price tag was the 2014 Chevy Spark EV, which ended up with most of the same numbers ($199/month, $999 down, 36 months, 12,000 annual mile limit) but you have to pay $0.25 a mile for each one over 12,000 a year. Now we have the latest reaction: the Honda Fit EV, and it stacks up well. Finally.

The all-electric Honda Fit originally had a three-year lease for $389 a month with $389 due up front, and was limited to 12,000 miles a year. Today, that number drops way down with the announcement that the new cost is just $259 with no down payment. That's more per month than the competition's $199, you might be saying, but the Fit EV comes with a free Leviton 240-volt charger (you still have to pay for installation) and unlimited mileage. Also, $259 a month gets you scheduled maintenance and collision coverage with your Fit EV, too. Honda's Jessica Fini told AutoblogGreen, "All these new additions effectively make the Fit EV one of the most affordable EVs on the market," and it's hard to argue against that. You can see the math yourself here.

If you already have a Fit EV and have been paying $389 a month, you'll be happy to know the new lease payment will apply to current customers going forward. The Fit EV is rated at 118 MPGe and has an 82-mile range. You can read our review of the car here. Honda will be increasing the number of Fit EV dealers in the states where the car is available – California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Rhode Island and Connecticut – from 36 to more than 200 by the end of June. This is a good sign that the company may one day stop treating the Fit EV like a California compliance car, but for now we still have 42 states to go.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/30...limited-miles/
Old 05-30-13, 05:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice!!! Great to see EVs finally dropping in price to something more reasonable.
Old 05-30-13, 06:49 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nice!!! Great to see EVs finally dropping in price to something more reasonable.
They're dropping in price, there's more options than ever before (and growing), and charging infrastructure is finally being built (thank you Tesla)
Old 05-30-13, 07:07 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

MM - please do a review on the Fit EV! MIght pick this up when I'm back in the States!
Old 06-01-13, 09:21 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

insane price, wow!
Old 06-02-13, 12:04 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow, this is VERY attractive! If only it had manumatic shifting, I'd be tempted.
This also includes some insurance, which makes ownership costs extremely low. The only problem could come from production levels or dealer availability. Usually something this hot gets raped by the time it reaches consumers.
Old 06-02-13, 01:18 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Wow, this is VERY attractive! If only it had manumatic shifting, I'd be tempted.
This also includes some insurance, which makes ownership costs extremely low. The only problem could come from production levels or dealer availability. Usually something this hot gets raped by the time it reaches consumers.

This.

Man I could honestly say this vehicle would satisfy ALL of my local driving needs. But there in lies the rub, these EV's are useless on road trips. Which is a HUGE deal to me, a car should equal freedom, to drive where-ever the hell you want. I live 8 miles from work, which is ideal for an EV, but man I do rack the miles on road trips to Atlanta, Bristol, New Orleans, etc, etc, etc I'd say out of the 8,000 miles I put on my car every year, 5,000+ are trips to cities more than 200 miles away and back.
Old 06-02-13, 06:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
well, lol, sorry... you do realize that EVs have 1 gear, right? what you gonna shift?

:-)
Old 06-02-13, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man I could honestly say this vehicle would satisfy ALL of my local driving needs. But there in lies the rub, these EV's are useless on road trips. Which is a HUGE deal to me, a car should equal freedom, to drive where-ever the hell you want. I live 8 miles from work, which is ideal for an EV, but man I do rack the miles on road trips to Atlanta, Bristol, New Orleans, etc, etc, etc I'd say out of the 8,000 miles I put on my car every year, 5,000+ are trips to cities more than 200 miles away and back.
exactly, so if you paid no gas cost on the 3000 other miles a year, (ignoring electricity charging cost) vs. say a 30mpg car, which would be 100 gallons, you'd save about $400.

of course that doesn't include the costly high speed charger you'd need to have installed in your home either.

the coming tesla model x (suv) looks really great in theory, until i want to take a road trip (as you said) and realize i'd have to make a hotel stay overnight half way, even just to get to south florida)

until the range is WAY bigger, or charging ease/time is WAY better, there's no compelling reason to own one. sure, it might 'feel' great to own one, esp. as a second car for short commutes, but it still makes NO economic sense.
Old 06-02-13, 12:53 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the coming tesla model x (suv) looks really great in theory, until i want to take a road trip (as you said) and realize i'd have to make a hotel stay overnight half way, even just to get to south florida)

until the range is WAY bigger, or charging ease/time is WAY better, there's no compelling reason to own one. sure, it might 'feel' great to own one, esp. as a second car for short commutes, but it still makes NO economic sense.
This is outdated information. Did you miss the articles about Tesla building a supercharger infrastructure with over 100 charging stations across the US by 2015?
Where a driver would be within about 80-100 miles of a charging station across the entire country?

It would allow Tesla owners to charge about 3 hours worth of driving in 20 minutes. Most people that do long distance traveling make pit stops every 3 hours or so anyway. By the time you use the bathroom and grab lunch or a snack, 20 minutes has elapsed.
I agree that electric cars like the Leaf are only good for limited city use. But when the Model S gets up to 265 miles per charge, your argument loses its effect. Especially when their infrastructure is complete that allows you to be within 80-100 miles of the next charging station.

There's a reason why the Model S outsold the S Class, LS, 7 Series, etc last month by at least double
Old 06-02-13, 06:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exactly, so if you paid no gas cost on the 3000 other miles a year, (ignoring electricity charging cost) vs. say a 30mpg car, which would be 100 gallons, you'd save about $400.

of course that doesn't include the costly high speed charger you'd need to have installed in your home either.

And this argument is old and has been countered. its clear the Anti Tesla crowd is anti EV. This arguement which is only used for Hybrids and EV's can be applied to ANY vehicle purchase. Of course it makes people feel better to break out a calculator and explain why a hybrid or EV isn't worth it when they are never going to buy one anyway.

Taking your arguement, lets take a Ford Explorer AWD, a car you own. We can argue that it isn't "Worth" it to drive a SUV if the cargo area in the back isn't used 90% of the time, otherwise its a waste, something "I know I have". Lets say AWD. Well in Florida, that would be a waste since there is no slow and maybe some rain. So it hurts MPG 90% of the time but good for 10% of inclement weather. What about using the A/C or heat? Well instead of using it for just a cabin, you are using it for a cabin and unused cargo area, which takes longer to maximize the A/C unit and is another "waste". We can go on and on.

The fact of the matter is we can rationalize and dismiss any purchase. Not sure why EV's and hybrids have people trying to explain how it isn't worth it when THE SAME argument can be use d for their vehicle purchase.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
There's a reason why the Model S outsold the S Class, LS, 7 Series, etc last month by at least double
Completely apples to oranges comparison. Egads car chat.

Old 06-02-13, 07:15 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Completely apples to oranges comparison. Egads car chat.
Nah, not apples to oranges. Just because the Model S is powered by electricity instead of gas does not mean it is an apples to oranges comparison. The Model S is a full size luxury sedan, priced in the same range as the LS, S Class, 7 Series, & A8. Those that are opting for a full size luxury sedan are choosing Tesla 2 to 1 (or more in some cases) as of April's sales.
Old 06-02-13, 07:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Hmm, fit EV looking like a VERY VERY attractive commuter option for the wife (20 miles each way to work with an EV Charge port in her spot!)

Hmm... Does the lease have a buyout option? or will it be like the volt leases where nobody will be allowed to purchase?
Old 06-02-13, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

This is outdated information. Did you miss the articles about Tesla building a supercharger infrastructure with over 100 charging stations across the US by 2015?
Where a driver would be within about 80-100 miles of a charging station across the entire country?

It would allow Tesla owners to charge about 3 hours worth of driving in 20 minutes. Most people that do long distance traveling make pit stops every 3 hours or so anyway. By the time you use the bathroom and grab lunch or a snack, 20 minutes has elapsed.
I agree that electric cars like the Leaf are only good for limited city use. But when the Model S gets up to 265 miles per charge, your argument loses its effect. Especially when their infrastructure is complete that allows you to be within 80-100 miles of the next charging station.

to be correct, it takes 45 minutes to charge to full for 265 mile range, right? And on hwy, at 75, it will probably be more like 200-220 miles, which isnt bad either.

100 special superchargers isnt a lot though, it is very little and requires you to use specific routes. It is also probably good to note that they have 8 right now and 100 is by the end of 2014.

Point of supercharger network is that it helps you on long distance trips and it counts on you not using it a lot... thats why it is outside of city centers.

Another thing to note is that they announced that 60kwh model has no SC capatibility unless you pay extra $2000, its like dlc in games :-).

You will also have to install twin charger in your garage, which will charge your 85kw model in 3.5hrs... but you will have to pay around $5k for equipment and installation, and it will charge your car to full in 3.5hrs.

People should also know that they dont recomend you to charge just in case - this will destroy the battery... you are supposed to charge only what you think you will use and never charge at 100% unless you are going to need that 100%.... it is best to charge it to 50%.

Most important are public chargers, that are installed by your both local governments and business's, and there are 5000 of them right now just in California, 17000 in US and 15000 in Europe. A lot of them are slower chargers but still. Japan has largest fast charger network which numbers 1400 right now.

This is probably more important to EV user than Super Chargers, as it allows you to top up while shopping or working.

I love what is Tesla doing, but I always get a feeling like they are deliberately trying to fool you by not giving you everything you need to know, at first glance... I would still buy it right away if I was in US.
Old 06-02-13, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

last i checked, it's not 2015 yet, so not outdated. i never said EVs will NEVER make sense. i'm just saying they're inconvenient and non-economical for 99% of uses, TODAY.

as long as that 80-100 miles is on the way to where you're going, then that might be ok, but there's no way 100 stations can provide that much coverage. the u.s. has over 47,000 miles of INTERSTATE alone!

But when the Model S gets up to 265 miles per charge, your argument loses its effect. Especially when their infrastructure is complete that allows you to be within 80-100 miles of the next charging station.
model S is definitely impressive, the best EV so far. 265 mi. is max with the max battery option, making it a VERY expensive proposition. for that money i'd get a diesel cayenne for less and get over 700mi. per tank.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
And this argument is old and has been countered.
must have missed that. you can't make the math work. i realize there's other reasons to buy hybrids (environmentalism statement, low speed silent driving, mid-range electric torque boost, etc.), but other drawbacks, like lost trunk space in sedans, etc.

its clear the Anti Tesla crowd is anti EV.
i'm neither anti-tesla or anti-ev, just looking at the practical usage/value proposition. i'm impressed with what tesla has done, and glad they paid back their government loan. what you don't know is i've looked seriously at the tesla x. i've no interest in sedans as they don't fit my needs.

Taking your arguement, lets take a Ford Explorer AWD, a car you own. We can argue that it isn't "Worth" it to drive a SUV if the cargo area in the back isn't used 90% of the time, otherwise its a waste, something "I know I have". Lets say AWD. Well in Florida, that would be a waste since there is no slow and maybe some rain. So it hurts MPG 90% of the time but good for 10% of inclement weather. What about using the A/C or heat? Well instead of using it for just a cabin, you are using it for a cabin and unused cargo area, which takes longer to maximize the A/C unit and is another "waste". We can go on and on.
well first off, i don't have awd (actually would be 4wd on my gen explorer), so i'm not 'wasting' that feature. i certainly knew that would be a waste for me in florida! but all auto purchases are compromises - we each look at what we need and what we want and make the trade-offs. i need now and then cargo space a sedan can't provide, so a sedan would not work for me, but sure, it's not used a lot of the time, but that's doesn't mean i don't need it. sure if money were no object i'd have a vehicle for when i don't need the space, and one for when i do, but i can't do that, or choose not to. unlike you, i don't have a half dozen sedans.

The fact of the matter is we can rationalize and dismiss any purchase. Not sure why EV's and hybrids have people trying to explain how it isn't worth it when THE SAME argument can be use d for their vehicle purchase.
an suv provides large space in a package not like a van or minivan, etc. not everyone needs/wants it. but for those who do, it's worth it.

an EV today is positioned as saving gas, having no emissions. it may do those things, but has some serious trade-offs that most are not willing to make, and the gas savings don't offset the huge vehicle cost. that won't always be the case though, and i look forward to when they're more practical! hybrids are pretty much the worst of both worlds. don't make economic sense and offer pretty anemic 'benefits' with often horrible driving characteristics (prius) or borderline useless trunk space, etc. but for a few, those trade-offs are acceptable! and again, i looked seriously at an RX450h and came away unimpressed overall.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit EV lease drops to $259 with no down payment, unlimited miles