Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo, Mitsubishi, Road & Track among brands predicted to disappear from US next year

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 05:46 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volvo isn't going anywhere. Yup, plenty of them here in the DC area, very popular cars. I'm actually surprised that Mitsubishi is still around. They're far more popular in other markets besides the U.S. though, like Taiwan for example.
Old 05-28-13, 05:59 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the same 'mags' are online anyway. i'm not your typical tree hugger, but why bother cutting down trees, printing with toxic inks and heavy machinery, jet/truck/car those mags around to addresses, etc., so people can read 'news' that's already MONTHS out of date?
I love car mags, I have over a thousand of them, and never want to see them die.. I understand the news is outdated and I would have no problem with the main us car mags being online only, but then there are quality magazines like some of the British ones like Top Gear and Evo that are like mini books and have the best photography. also some of the marque magazines like Excelence for Porsche have such great stories and pictures and are a perfect escape for me, to sit back, turn everything off and go to another world..

lastly to me, there is no better way to relax then go to a bookstore and view car mags.. The world will be poorer without them.
Old 05-28-13, 08:18 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Car magazines have made my bathroom trips so much easier over the years
Old 05-28-13, 08:22 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I love car mags, I have over a thousand of them, and never want to see them die.. I understand the news is outdated and I would have no problem with the main us car mags being online only, but then there are quality magazines like some of the British ones like Top Gear and Evo that are like mini books and have the best photography. also some of the marque magazines like Excelence for Porsche have such great stories and pictures and are a perfect escape for me, to sit back, turn everything off and go to another world..

lastly to me, there is no better way to relax then go to a bookstore and view car mags.. The world will be poorer without them.
Originally Posted by robloc93
Car magazines have made my bathroom trips so much easier over the years
to both of these sentiments

And I still like reading my Car & Driver and Motor Trend magazines via a hard copy. I'd rather not have an online-only option.
Old 05-28-13, 08:25 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Volvo isn't going anywhere. Yup, plenty of them here in the DC area, very popular cars.
Yep, it's a staple in the 'burbs of Washington DC. I have friends with 3 kids, and they own 2 Volvo's, one of them is a manual wagon. And the wife loves it! She's already taught 2 of the 3 kids how to drive stick in that Volvo.
Old 05-28-13, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
printed pics are nice, but i'm fine looking at it all on an ipad. as advertising revenue continues to decline, i think you'll see the cost of mags go up.

barnes and noble doesn't make money (except for a coffee) when you sit there reading mags. unless they get bailed out, they're going under in the next year or so.
Old 05-28-13, 10:23 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With deep Chinese pockets Volvo aint going anywhere. They're about to launch a bunch of new models in the US including the sexy V60 wagon.

Old 05-29-13, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Volvo was sending the oddly out of date-looking 544 over here when VW was selling all the Bugs they could paint. Volvo CLEARLY had the superior product, but it's marketing was a mess. If they'd go back and build one of these little bank vaults today, and offer it for something like $18 - $20K they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough. High quality, honest transportation, small but adequate engine, fit and finish to rival Mercedes. That was the 544:
I agree with most of this, Bob, but I'm not sure about the Volvo rivaling Mercedes fit-and-finish part. In the 1960s and 1970s, M-B built what were clearly some of the best-assembled cars on the planet. Their general quality didn't start to tank until the 1990s, when Lexus and Infiniti came along and simply started beating them at their own game....and M-B could no longer compete at the same price-levels.

Of course, in the 60s/70s, some of the most durable engines/automatic transmissions actually came from a domestic source.....Chrysler, especially with its Slant-Six and 318 V8 (one reason why they were popular as taxicabs). But, apart from drivetrains, Chrysler overall quality/fit-finish was a mess.
Old 05-30-13, 11:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I will honestly cry if they kill Road & Track. Why the hell would they kill the magazine. They are the best and oldest. Sad. I hope its not true