Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Chevrolet Impala 2LT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 12:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Again, you are completely wrong.

If you go to Chevrolet.com and select Impala do a compare, the Chevrolet would like you to believe that the Impala competes with the Tauras, 300, and the Maxima. This is stated right on their website. You don't even have to select it, Chevrolet does it for you.

Doesn't compete with the Taurus too?
Old 05-29-13, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Doesn't compete with the Taurus too?
Yes it does compete wit the Taurus, both the Taurus and Impala have a starting MSRP with $25 of each other.

An Avalon starts at $3000 more, I can't believe the reviewer would compare them. The orginal comparison in the review is just not correct.
Old 05-29-13, 12:28 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great review as always. I think that the Impala is too similar to the XTS just like the new CTS looks just like the CTS.
Old 05-29-13, 12:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra
I hate the wheels, but the rest of it seems bearable. It's a mass market car, so I'm not expecting anything but blandness so it can sell in large numbers.

That said, Lexus should be ASHAMED that the powerplant in this matches the 2GR in the current IS and GS for power and nearly for torque on regular unleaded, not to mention exceeds their highway EPA rating.

It really drives home the point as to how poorly the premium brands are doing with engine offerings in the $40-50k price bracket when none of them exceed this, only match.

Thanks for the review mmarshall.
The Toyota Avalon will be going to DI and an 8 speed, it is still a fine engine.
Old 05-29-13, 04:50 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Toyota Avalon will be going to DI and an 8 speed, it is still a fine engine.
Toyota/Aisin has a transverse FWD 8 speed tranny?
Old 05-29-13, 05:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Off Topic, but what is your source.... I highly doubt the 8AT for Avalon any time soon.
Old 05-29-13, 05:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrraider
Toyota/Aisin has a transverse FWD 8 speed tranny?
RX350 fsport, it is made in North America as well.
Old 05-29-13, 05:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Off Topic, but what is your source.... I highly doubt the 8AT for Avalon any time soon.
Why do you doubt it?
Old 05-29-13, 05:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you doubt it?
Because you generally do not have anything credible to add to threads/the forum.
Old 05-29-13, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Because you generally do not have anything credible to add to threads/the forum.
Watch the reveal on Autoweek podcast video, the guy from Toyota mentions DI and 8 speed down the road.
Old 05-29-13, 09:53 PM
LexFather

Mike is this review a test-drive with a salesman with you? How long do you drive the car for? What speeds do you take it up too? Are you allowed to hold the car for a few hours or the weekend?

Old 05-30-13, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Mike is this review a test-drive with a salesman with you? How long do you drive the car for? What speeds do you take it up too? Are you allowed to hold the car for a few hours or the weekend?

Most of my reviews are without salespeople riding along (a number of them either already know me or am convinced that I'm trustworthy), but, occasionally, one will insist on riding for insurance reasons or dealer-policy. And if a car's electronic-display systems are especially complex or difficult to operate (the early BMW 7-series I-Drive was a prime example), I'll ask someone to ride along who knows the system thoroughly, because I'm not a whiz with computers. Test-drives (depending on local-traffic/conditions) last maybe 25-40 minutes unless the dealership asks for a shorter one to keep the miles down (which sometimes happens for those cars in high demand, like the Camaro SS was a few years ago). On the test-drive, I try to look for as many different road-surfaces as possible (noise-isolation effectiveness often varies with road-surfaces) and, of course, to test the suspension/ride-comfort over bumps. I check steering-response and handling at various speeds (say, what would happen if you had to swerve on local roads to avoid a deer or a small child), checking for response and body-roll....but not to the car's limits, like, say, on a slalom or skidpad. The braking checks for quickness of response, pedal-location for my big size-15 shoes (which can sometimes catch on the pedal-edge when lifting off the gas), sponginess/free-play, and deceleration-effectivness (though I usually don't brake hard enough to activate the ABS or Brake-Assist). I check cruising characteristics while cruising up to legal (and sometimes slightly more) speeds, but usually not fast enough to get a speeding ticket. And, of course, I check the engine/transmission characteristics. Different dealerships, of course, depending on where they are located, and what kinds of roads/traffic surrounding them, make the job easier or more difficult, so I sometimes have to play each review by ear.

I've been offered a car overnight or for the weekend a few times, but, in most cases, I don't really need it. First, I can usually write an accurate (or reasonably accurate) review with a standard test-drive and maybe 20-25 minutes of a static stem-to-stern interior/exterior inspection. Second, as far as I'm concerned, those cars are dealer property until sold or leased, and if someone comes to the dealership and wants that car (actually wants to buy it or try it out), I don't think I should have it home at my parking space (or out on the road)...it should be available for sale.

Newspaper auto-reviewers, auto-magazines, and auto journalists, of course, do often keep vehicles in their possession for a weekend (or a whole week), but they are considered professionals, are paid for their work, often need the cars for comparison write-ups, and use vehicles that the auto companies specifically set aside for them and the press (they are not dealer-copies fopr sale). By comparison, I simply write in my spare time (sometimes by CL-member request), and post my findings in CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-13 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Great review as always
Thanks.

I think that the Impala is too similar to the XTS
The XTS, as expected for the price, has a more plush and well-trimmed interior than the Impala. Both, of course, are derived off the same platform...as is the Buick LaCrosse. I haven't fully test-driven an XTS (only some city-blocks around the Cadillac test-drive circuit D.C. auto show on some rather bumpy and potholed treets), but, from that brief drive, it semed like the XTS had substantially firmer suspension/tires/underpinnings than the Impala...in other words, the XTS was no DTS. I had no problems at all with the Impala's overall level of comfort/road manners....in fact, I generally enjoyed driving it more than I did the XTS, but I'll save final comments on the XTS for a more thorough test-drive.
Old 05-30-13, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you go to Chevrolet.com and select Impala do a compare, the Chevrolet would like you to believe that the Impala competes with the Tauras, 300, and the Maxima. This is stated right on their website. You don't even have to select it, Chevrolet does it for you.
So? Do you always believe what auto-companies say in their PR advertising?

I don't know about you, but I sometimes prefer to check things out for myself. I've looked at both the 300 and Impala carefully, and as far as I'm concerned, they are substantially different platforms...one FWD and with a four/V6, and the other RWD with a V6 and two V8 Hemis (see my Chrysler SRT-8 300 review from November 2011).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rt-8-hemi.html

And, of course, if you disagree with me (or a web-site), there's nothing stopping you from checking out the cars for yourself like me, Mike, and occasionally others here on CAR CHAT do, and sharing your findings with us. Have fun.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-13 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 08:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So does this mean that actual shoppers/buyers are forbidden from cross shopping something other than what Chevy wants you to look at? Remember the Lacrosse (and other brands, think Vera Cruz and RX350) compared it to the ES350 at launch.

As mentioned earlier, the lines between many models are blurred these days.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Chevrolet Impala 2LT