Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Meet "Klaus" - an overseas export version Chevrolet Camaro =)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 10:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meet "Klaus" - an overseas export version Chevrolet Camaro =)

The Camaro internet forums have known about this for almost two years............but I guess I'll share it here (especially for those that don't know)

Meet "Klaus" - an overseas export version Chevrolet Camaro =)

What you basically see here is the kind of specification that is seen on Camaros that are exported outside of North American territory. In short, these specification of Camaros are mainly for the European Union markets as well as for Middle East markets and some Asia Pacific territories. =)

Pics from CamaroZ28.com

Old 05-27-13, 10:07 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Last edited by Blackraven; 05-27-13 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-27-13, 10:47 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Seems to be all stuff that would make US versions better....LED tails, breakaway side mirrors with turn signal repeaters, headlight washers....but what the heck is the point of those rear flares that only stick out like 1/4", and not at all at the bottom where the tire is actually exposed??
Old 05-27-13, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So in a nut shell, non domestic Destined Camaros get the goods
Old 05-28-13, 09:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So in a nut shell, non domestic Destined Camaros get the goods
Yes.

But then again, a Camaro in most other countries start at about $40k.

I believe that should be about 1.6 million Pesos in the Philippines. Considering that the average Filipino makes 200 Peso a day, that stuff is pure luxury goods...
Old 05-28-13, 09:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MX5
Seems to be all stuff that would make US versions better....LED tails, breakaway side mirrors with turn signal repeaters, headlight washers....but what the heck is the point of those rear flares that only stick out like 1/4", and not at all at the bottom where the tire is actually exposed??
I could probably answer that:

United Nations Economic Commission for Europe - World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Economic_Commission_for_Europe"[/url]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECE_Regulations"[/url]

These regulations are STRICTLY observed and followed by the EU government and is enforced upon all EU Member states.

For instance, the point that you raised may fall under ECE Regulation 30..........which states that "the tire must not exceed the width of the vehicle"

Then of course for HEADLAMPS, these fall under ECE Regulation 48

Headlamp Leveling System

Internationalised ECE Regulation 48, in force in most of the world outside North America, currently specifies a limited range within which the vertical aim of the headlamps must be maintained under various vehicle load conditions; if the vehicle isn't equipped with an adaptive suspension sufficient to keep the headlamps aimed correctly regardless of load, a headlamp leveling system is required.[18] The regulation stipulates a more stringent version of this antiglare measure if the vehicle has headlamps with low beam light source(s) that produce more than 2,000 lumens – xenon bulbs and certain high-power halogens, for example. Such vehicles must be equipped with headlamp self-leveling systems that sense the vehicle's degree of squat due to cargo load and road inclination, and automatically adjust the headlamps' vertical aim to keep the beam correctly oriented without any action required by the driver.
Any vehicle sold within EU territory must either have a headlamp leveling system that is either manually-operated (either via a switch mechanism) or automatically-controlled (i.e. self-leveling headlamp system).

Headlamp Lens Cleaners

Dirt buildup on headlamp lenses increases glare to other road users, even at levels too low to reduce seeing performance significantly for the driver. Therefore, headlamp lens cleaners are required by ECE Regulation 48 on vehicles equipped with low-beam headlamps using light sources that have a reference luminous flux of 2,000 lumens or more. This includes all HID headlamps and some high-power halogen units. Some cars have lens cleaners fitted even where the regulations do not require them. North America, for example, does not use ECE regulations, and FMVSS 108 does not require lens cleaners on any headlamps, though they are permitted.
On a semi-related note, here's 47 page document regarding ECE Regulation 54 (CONCERNING THE ADOPTION OF UNIFORM TECHNICAL PRESCRIPTIONS
FOR WHEELED VEHICLES, EQUIPMENT AND PARTS WHICH CAN BE FITTED
AND/OR BE USED ON WHEELED VEHICLES AND THE CONDITIONS FOR
RECIPROCAL RECOGNITION OF APPROVALS GRANTED ON THE BASIS OF
THESE PRESCRIPTIONS)

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t...gs/r054r2e.pdf

Not your light bedtime reading
Old 06-18-13, 02:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I believe that should be about 1.6 million Pesos in the Philippines. Considering that the average Filipino makes 200 Peso a day, that stuff is pure luxury goods...
^^^A really valid point.

In the Philippines (in general), owning any kind of automobile in itself is definitely a luxury..........and a number of poor and marginalized Filipinos see ownership of an automobile as *a* way of escaping and uplifting themselves from poverty.
Old 06-18-13, 02:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

looks pretty much the same to me. The piddly stuff described is just to make the car legal outside of the US.
Old 06-19-13, 06:19 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the side mirrors!
Old 06-19-13, 09:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
looks pretty much the same to me. The piddly stuff described is just to make the car legal outside of the US.
^^^Somewhat so =)

Most of the differences are mostly exterior

And the rest are just modifications with the radio, removal of Onstar (since Onstar is a North America only thing), a modified fuel system and the FE4 Suspension Package is a standard on all overseas models.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same =)
Old 06-29-13, 03:15 PM
M45owner
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a Camaro to me. Like the tail lights though