Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Next-gen Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 02:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Next-gen Toyota Prius

Next-gen Toyota Prius spied inside and out

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-5908567/

Toyota has built itself into the industry's standard-bearer when it comes to hybrids, and it isn't going to let the poster child for gas-electric vehicles get stale on the market. These spy shots captured in California are our first good look at the next-generation Prius, which could come to market wearing a 2015 model year designation.

Even though it looks like Toyota may have blown its annual camouflage budget on this mule, we can clearly see that it will have the same iconic half-moon design that has been with the car since 2003. If so, this goes against reports from last year that suggested the car would be getting a different look inspired by the 2013 NS4 Concept. Although, this could also indicate that the Prius family will continue to grow – adding a new sedan – to the existing Prius C, Prius V and Prius Plug-In lineup.

These spy shots also give us an indication as to what the interior will look like, with a more stylish three-spoke steering wheel and an instrument panel design that sort of reminds us of a BMW. On the other hand, all the tape, cobbled together pieces and lack of space for a center stack display screen has us thinking this isn't what the final product will resemble.

As for what will be powering the 2015 Prius, we hear that updated versions of the current electric system and engine will be employed, but it will carry over the nickel metal hydride batteries found in today's model. Still no word on the rumored possibility of all-wheel-drive system, either. In addition to a new design and updated powertrain, it sounds like production of the next-generation Prius could be making a move to the US, joining the line at Toyota's Tupelo, MS plant.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/24/n...nside-and-out/
Old 05-24-13, 02:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

WHOA look at the CT interior (climate control - gauge cluster) with the driver mode select moved into a vertical location

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-5908565/
Old 05-24-13, 03:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You beat me to it Hoovey. First thing that came to mind with the dash was CT. I see no BMW in there.
Some of the displays to the far right of that plain look very far from the driver though. A more vertical center stack would keep vitals within closer reach. I'm sure this aint the final version at least.

Also very interesting this Prius carries analog guages! That would be a first for any Prius and a big move away from the techno trend of digital meters on compact and hybrids. Maybe this is a faux sport model with the 3-spoke wheel.

No doubt, this will be a huge story as the release gets closer. The Prius is one of the most important vehicles in Toyota's portfolio. The day it gets manumatic shifting is the day I'll consider one. The temptation of saying F-U to the gas companies is pulling more and more at me as I become an old fart.
Old 05-24-13, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

top of the dash is CTh interior... instrument cluster is from CTh as well... it is exactly the same thing... so they probably just stuck something in preproduction vehicle.
Old 05-24-13, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

also, next prius is coming next year too...
Old 05-24-13, 04:31 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why so soon?

And will they introduce a new Toyota HSD with the new Prius? Hopefully they will break the 50 overall MPG, 60MPG would be amazing.
Old 05-24-13, 04:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

its typical 3+2 Toyota cycle... facelift was in 2012.

There are some rumors of 60 MPG, AWD like in RX450h and lion batteries... might be for some models only.
Old 05-24-13, 05:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

exterior looks the same, but the interior - hey they're finally moving the guages in front of the driver?
Old 05-24-13, 06:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exterior looks the same, but the interior - hey they're finally moving the guages in front of the driver?
its donated CT200h dash... so who knows.

even though, Prius speedo is pretty much in front of the driver right now...
Old 05-26-13, 08:54 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think this is some sort of frankenstein mule. Current Prius Body + Current CT Interior, maybe testing some new powertrain stuff underneath?

I don't believe the CT interior will be put into the Prius.
Old 05-26-13, 09:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think this is some sort of frankenstein mule. Current Prius Body + Current CT Interior, maybe testing some new powertrain stuff underneath?

I don't believe the CT interior will be put into the Prius.
+1, that's the current exterior...just a test mule for the revised interior
Old 05-26-13, 10:52 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

so someone explain to me why Mercedes can build a car that has proper proportions and gets .22 cD when Toyota has to build this wedge shape for the Prius
Old 05-26-13, 11:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
so someone explain to me why Mercedes can build a car that has proper proportions and gets .22 cD when Toyota has to build this wedge shape for the Prius
Mercedes CLA has no back space at all, and barely usable trunk. I just in one... i couldnt sit in the back at all.

Plus thats just cd... Prius likely has less overall area.
Old 05-26-13, 11:16 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
consumer perception and marketing

most consumers wont know what 0.22cD means but they know what wedge shape means (even though we all know wedge could still be less efficient)
Old 05-26-13, 02:51 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Mercedes CLA has no back space at all, and barely usable trunk. I just in one... i couldnt sit in the back at all.

Plus thats just cd... Prius likely has less overall area.
true, but then mercedes was also able to make the S class just as slippery as the prius

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Next-gen Toyota Prius