Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes vows to build AMG variants of the next E-Class Coupe and Convertible - repor

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 04:13 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes vows to build AMG variants of the next E-Class Coupe and Convertible - repor

Mercedes product manager Gerd Junginger has revealed the company's decision not to build an AMG variant of the E-Class Coupe and Convertible was a mistake.

Speaking to Piston Heads, Junginger said the decision was made seven years ago when AMG had a more focused strategy. Now the company offers a plethora of AMG variants and Junginger contends “seen from now, yes it was a mistake" not to make an E63 AMG Coupe and Convertible.

Thankfully the company appears to have learned their lesson as Junginger said “next time we won’t make the same mistake.” This is a blessing and a curse as it's too late to offer an AMG variant of the current models so we'll have to wait until the next-generation arrives sometime later this decade.
What they are saying is they realized C63 is selling like hot cakes and they printed money with the C coupe BS, since E coupe is essencialy the same car why not rake in even more money along with a higher profit margin?

Looks like the bean counters have won the decision.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=27701
Old 05-23-13, 04:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Convertible I don't care much about but an AMG E-Class Coupe sounds hawt
Old 05-23-13, 08:31 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An E coupe amg would be hot. I remember seeing renders for it a while back.

The only problem i see with C coupe is the interior quality, an E coupe would solve this very well
Old 05-23-13, 11:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Eh, the E-class coupe and convertible are kind of ugly anyways. The beautifully curved roofline was always at such odds with the chiseled angles on the front and rear, and those straight slab sides. The four eyes "nerd glass" headlights don't help.

Although it would be cool to see a big AMG 4 seater convertible. I really don't get why Benz didn't offer AMG versions of these cars, they did on the previous CLK coupe and convertibles, hell they even sold a hot-rod station wagon, but no hot rod coupe. Really???
Old 05-26-13, 09:47 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

Only problem with an E AMG coupe will be the price, out of reach for most everyday buyers. The E class as it is now is already overpriced, IMO. I test drove one before buying the GS, sticker was $60k, with no HID's, no push button start, no ventalited seats and MB-Tex instead of real leather. They had one on the lot with all those things, sticker was $68k.
Old 05-26-13, 10:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

AMG cars have some of the heaviest depreciation of any car on the market
Old 05-26-13, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Worse than Jags?
Old 05-27-13, 02:36 PM
liebsaz
Driver School Candidate

people spending 100k plus on an e63 are not generally concerned with depreciation
Old 05-27-13, 11:35 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Eh, the E-class coupe and convertible are kind of ugly anyways. The beautifully curved roofline was always at such odds with the chiseled angles on the front and rear, and those straight slab sides. The four eyes "nerd glass" headlights don't help.

Although it would be cool to see a big AMG 4 seater convertible. I really don't get why Benz didn't offer AMG versions of these cars, they did on the previous CLK coupe and convertibles, hell they even sold a hot-rod station wagon, but no hot rod coupe. Really???
I agree with your statement, but strangely the picture you posted makes the E-Coupe look pretty nice.
Old 05-28-13, 07:46 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I agree with your statement, but strangely the picture you posted makes the E-Coupe look pretty nice.
The facelift looks fantastic.

Old 05-28-13, 01:25 PM
Hoovey689

I still miss the quad headlights (the C, E, S now all look way too similar) but certainly that shade of red is nice and aggressive
Old 05-28-13, 09:21 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Will they actually sell that color in red? I thought MBs only come in grey, dark grey and light grey.
Old 05-29-13, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Default Exec admits Benz should have created an E63 AMG Coupe

Exec admits Benz should have created an E63 AMG Coupe

Despite the fact that Mercedes-Benz seems to have AMG-ified nearly every model in its current lineup (not that we're complaining), it always seemed like sort of a misstep that this same treatment was never afforded to the E-Class Coupe (pictured). After all, Merc has created AMG versions of the E-Class in sedan and wagon form for some time now. For 2014, the revamped models are powered by the potent 5.5-liter twin-turbo V8 and fitted with 4Matic all-wheel drive.

According to BenzBoost.com, we aren't alone in our thoughts that omitting the E63 AMG Coupe was an error. "Seen from now, yes it was a mistake. At that time, AMG had a different strategy. Now they offer an AMG version in almost all the range," Mercedes-Benz product manager Gerd Junginger told the brand fan site.

Prior to the E-Class Coupe, Mercedes-Benz offered an AMG version of the old CLK coupe, even going so far as to create the ridiculously awesome CLK63 AMG Black Series. Unfortunately, Junginger believes it is too late in the product cycle for the E-Class coupe to get an AMG variant, what with the refreshed 2014 model about to launch.

"It's the perfect car to be an AMG. It almost looks like an AMG version as it is now. Next time we won't make the same mistake," said Junginger.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/29/e...e63-amg-coupe/
Old 05-29-13, 09:50 PM
LexFather

Glad to see a company own up to a mistake. More AMG is always a great thing.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
And consumers don't care as AMG sales go up every year.

Old 05-29-13, 10:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man I really think even this late in the game they can make an AMG version of the coupe with little effort. Same engine, transmission, suspension as the sedan, it really wouldn't be hard at all. The convertible I could see being more of a challenge because of the chassis being very different(ie flexy and bendy).

Quick Reply: Mercedes vows to build AMG variants of the next E-Class Coupe and Convertible - repor