Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: Banks 6.5L Humvee

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 02:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: Banks 6.5L Humvee

Banks 6.5L Humvee

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/banks...photo-5886753/

Engine: 6.5L Turbodiesel
Power: 178 HP / 379 LB-FT
Transmission: 4-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 23.1 Seconds
Top Speed: 87 MPH
Drivetrain: Four-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 14,400 LBS
Seating: 2+3

The military's High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), or Humvee to most of us, is a rugged four-wheel drive vehicle designed and manufactured by AM General. In basic trim, the truck weighs about 7,500 pounds. For a beast of this stature, that number isn't overly alarming... until you realize that its stock 6.5-liter turbodiesel, running power through a four-speed automatic and portal geared hubs, only sends about 113 horsepower and 219 pound-feet of torque to the rear wheels. Acceleration is leisurely, but at least the truck can get out of its own way.

Understandably, the situation becomes much more dangerous, potentially deadly, when the Humvee is fully armored for duty in combat zones – ironic, right? Tipping the scales at 14,400 pounds, the stock engine is only able to accelerate the truck to 60 mph in 43 seconds. Equally as jaw-dropping is the lousy stock braking system, as it takes a full 307 feet to bring the truck to a rest from 60 mph.

To help our troops make quicker entries and exits, Gale Banks Engineering has crafted the Sidewinder Turbo system with exhaust brake as an upgrade to the stock powerplant. When fitted, engine output jumps by about 50 percent. According to the dyno, 178 horsepower and 329 pound-feet of torque make it to the wheels. Acceleration to the benchmark 60 mph drops to 23.1 seconds, while braking falls to 243 feet. While those numbers still won't scare even the slowest passenger vehicle on your local highway, the improvement is dramatic - especially when under fire from an AK-47.

To demonstrate its wares, Banks recently invited us to drive both the stock and modified Humvees back-to-back at its headquarters in Southern California. (Note: The Humvee we drove was configured with some unique armor plating and a 50 caliber turret - we've been asked to hide both in our pictures.)

Driving Notes:
  • The stock armored Humvee (M1165 in military speak) borders on pathetic in terms of ergonomics, passenger comfort, and overall drivability. Not to be confused with its barely civilianized Hummer H1, the archaic military Humvee was unquestionably the most miserable vehicle I have ever piloted on public roads. Outward visibility, through brick-thick bullet-resistant glass was pulse raising. In stock form, acceleration was dangerously slow and throttle response frighteningly lethargic. Once moving, the heavy body oscillated back and forth as it floated on its squishy off-road tires (in a motion mimicking trailer sway). Hitting the brake pedal initiated a lot of grinding noise and only mild deceleration, as the inboard disc brakes howled while fighting a losing battle against inertia. I exited the M1165 covered in nervous sweat, verbally praising the troops who are forced to drive it daily under far less desirable conditions.
  • Banks works its magic on the Humvee in several different ways. To improve breathing, the company fits a new intake and a wastegated turbocharger. A large air-to-air intercooler keeps the charge temperature down, while new injectors (and a new injector pump) ensure fuel flow isn't an issue. A monster exhaust finishes off the power improvements. Another important upgrade is the exhaust brake, aptly named the Banks Brake, which uses the engine to supplement the mechanical brakes and slow the vehicle.
  • The modified Banks Humvee was noticeably lighter on its feet (likely strong enough to run neck-to-neck with a 1977 Mercedes-Benz 240D). Twice as quick is a huge improvement, and I was visibly more comfortable pulling into moving traffic. Running acceleration, from 40-60 mph, drops by half as well. This meant around-town throttle response was decent, and not a white-knuckle affair. The Banks Brake was set to automatically slow the Humvee each time I lifted off the accelerator (it reminded me of regenerative braking, but without any additional external noise as our soldiers prefer to arrive silently). Combined with the disc brakes, stopping distances were greatly improved.
  • Like the aging B-52 long-range bomber, the multi-purpose Humvee will be in service for many more decades as the military conjures up ways to sustain the program. Age and expanded roles have burdened the original light utility. Nevertheless, my initial impressions say that the Sidewinder Turbo system from Banks appears to provide a necessary shot of adrenaline to a vehicle desperately in need of vitality.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/22/banks-6-5l-humvee/
Old 05-22-13, 02:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perfect for L.A. traffic!
Old 05-22-13, 03:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL at 43 seconds for 0-60 and 303 ft to stop from 60 mph.
Old 05-22-13, 03:59 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Gale Banks is a freakin genius. He has forgotten more about cramming air into an engine than we will ever know.
Old 05-22-13, 04:07 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0-60 in 23 seconds for a fully armed and armored vehicle weighing 14,400 lbs is actually not too bad. There's definitely slower military vehicles out there for sure. 43 seconds stock is definitely pretty darned pathetic.
Old 05-22-13, 04:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

I'm pretty sure that most armored (land) vehicles don't even reach 60mph...
Old 05-23-13, 08:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow I never knew they are THAT slow, I mean why? Cost saving? Stick a HUGE engine and HUGE brakes in there!!
Old 05-23-13, 09:46 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 6.5L engine in the HMMWV dates back to the early-90's and that's just what they've stuck with. 20+ year old engine design. Obviously it's nothing compared to the diesels that are out there today, but those engines weren't around back then. And it's a huge and expensive undertaking to certify a powertrain for MIL-SPEC use. I used to work in defense, and some of the requirements are crazy on what they have to be able to do and withstand.
Old 05-23-13, 02:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The 6.5L engine in the HMMWV dates back to the early-90's and that's just what they've stuck with. 20+ year old engine design. Obviously it's nothing compared to the diesels that are out there today, but those engines weren't around back then. And it's a huge and expensive undertaking to certify a powertrain for MIL-SPEC use. I used to work in defense, and some of the requirements are crazy on what they have to be able to do and withstand.
Make sense, thank you very much for satisfying my curiosity
Old 05-24-13, 02:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The civilian version of that engine was a big POS. That is what led to the creation of the duramax.

Banks sells overpriced junk. Serious diesel builders and tuners rightly ignore him.