Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 12:24 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

The Mustang GT is an excellent car for the price, plus I prefer it's looks over the Camaro and Challenger.
Old 05-21-13, 12:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I actually just had a 13 V6 model as a loaner for a few days, and then we got a 12 GT V8 trade in. Obviously the GT was a hoot, but the V6 was more than adequate and had excellent mileage on the highway.

These Mustangs are much better than the old 2004 model I had. Not that there was something wrong with it, it just wasn't much fun. 4 Speed auto, 3.8L V6 190hp 220lbft - truck engine
Old 05-21-13, 12:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I actually just had a 13 V6 model as a loaner for a few days, and then we got a 12 GT V8 trade in. Obviously the GT was a hoot, but the V6 was more than adequate and had excellent mileage on the highway.

These Mustangs are much better than the old 2004 model I had. Not that there was something wrong with it, it just wasn't much fun. 4 Speed auto, 3.8L V6 190hp 220lbft - truck engine
I wouldn't hesitate on getting the V6..... I wouldn't say the same thing 10yrs ago but now the HP is over 300+ with great gas mileage and tons of aftermarket support..
Old 05-21-13, 01:10 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
this still amazes me how they can squeeze these MPG numbers...

Engine: 5.0L V8
Power: 420 HP / 390 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,618 LBS
Seating: 2+2
Cargo: 13.4 CU-FT
MPG: 17 City / 26 HWY
Base Price: $30,750
As-Tested Price: $37,525
On Regular unleaded, no less.
Old 05-21-13, 01:40 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Was the loaner a stick shift or auto? I test drove an auto before and came away a bit blah, I guess I expected a little more from 305 hp. But I assumed it was the torque converter killing all of the fun at the time.
Old 05-21-13, 02:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Was the loaner a stick shift or auto? I test drove an auto before and came away a bit blah, I guess I expected a little more from 305 hp. But I assumed it was the torque converter killing all of the fun at the time.
Loaner was an auto. It wasn't the worst 6-speed auto I've tested before, but it didn't like to hold the gears long. Always wanted to upshift, probably for fuel economy. Sadly the dumb little +/- on the gear selector shifts faster than the paddles in my IS (that of course has been rectified in the GS 6-speed auto)
Old 05-21-13, 03:17 PM
LexFather

There are some good deals on the GT too. Very well done car.

Old 05-22-13, 11:55 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

My current car is a 2012 GT 6-speed which I special-ordered in 2011.

It's been a very fun car, no issues. Maintenance is stupid cheap ($50 for oil/filter change and tire rotation!) and tires are stupid expensive (getting ready to spend $1200 for a new set...I only have 28,000 miles and barely 3/32 of tread left).

Acceleration is amazing, braking is strong, steering is really excellent. My biggest gripe is with the ride. Granted I didn't expect luxury, but my job/commute has changed since buying it, taking me through some of the worst parts of the town twice daily. Lots of railroad track, potholes, etc. I have the 19-inch wheels, 45-series tires, and combined with the LRA, this thing is getting teeeeeeeeeedious. Also, after driving stick for 10 years, I'm just getting tired of it. However, the GT has a nice transmission/clutch. The seats are surprisingly good too for my tall skinny frame.

On smooth roads, the GT is amazing, a real joy. On anything else, it's just so-so. It is my only car. I'm single, late 20s, so no big deal. But it's not a good daily driver. I can't even get to use 50% of its potential during my commute, and there aren't any decent tracks or truly interesting roads within 3-4 hours of here. Within the next year I plan on trading it in for something more boring, more comfortable, and more practical (maybe like an Accord or RDX). Just want a nice commuter car now. Yes indeed.

I don't regret buying the Mustang, I wanted one for so long, but now I definitely get a 'been there, done that' feeling when I drive it. Also, I'm tired of everyone and their mom trying to race me or asking me to "rev it up" at the gas station.
Old 05-22-13, 12:39 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the powerful 420hp V8 for the money. Just can't beat that power for the money if anyone want powerful car. But a good car design and engineering is not just dump in a big engine in a big boat car and call it's better car. The big heavy mustang can't compare to the drive quality of a porsche cayman and brz/frs. Two different comparison in quantity vs quality driver car.
Old 05-22-13, 01:04 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF350
I really like the powerful 420hp V8 for the money. Just can't beat that power for the money if anyone want powerful car. But a good car design and engineering is not just dump in a big engine in a big boat car and call it's better car. The big heavy mustang can't compare to the drive quality of a porsche cayman and brz/frs. Two different comparison in quantity vs quality driver car.
Actually, the Mustang GT can hang quite well with German machinery....

The Mustang is even "better-balanced" than the M3. Who would have thought?

So I guess Randy Pobst's opinion > your opinion
Old 05-22-13, 01:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT

great video !!! thanks!!!

after seeing this -- I'm sure the GT would completely stomp the FRS/BRZ.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-22-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 02:17 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly ! that why I was wondering why would people Jump on the FRS/BRZ while the GT 5.0 can stomp them quiet easily. The only answer I had was (Reliability)

I never liked mustang design. But I have to be honest, the new mustang look GREAT!

Ford is commited into shedding weight, more balance, and more power with 2015 new Mustang. They want to push their Engineering to the utmost limit, not like decade ago anymore.

The Mustang Parts, and after market Parts are also dirt cheap, and every little Local shops can work on a Mustang unlike the FRS/BRZ, yet very simple machine, but Parts, and After market parts are still Expensive like Hell. Beside, there is an Old saying "No replacement for Displacement"

Frs/Brz is having a hard time getting to 450 RWHP on 93 pump, while the GT5.0 can make that with a simple Air Filter + Exhaust + a tune ? What ? Erhmmm "you heard it right!"

Also, if you really want to buy and Negotiate the heck outta a GT 5.0. One can be purchased at 28,000 or less
Old 05-23-13, 12:04 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdrianXT

Super Coupes Track Attack! - 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 Coupe - YouTube

And the BRZ is way better balance and handling car than the same model year Mustang V6. Listen carefully his final words. The precise steering, the balanced chasis, good handling and agile is no match for Mustang. After all, the taste and flavor of driving the brz can't never describe by number on paper. It just feel so good deep inside the spinal cord with smile

Last edited by ISF350; 05-23-13 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 12:50 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
And the BRZ is way better balance and handling car than the same model year Mustang V6. Listen carefully his final words. The precise steering, the balanced chasis, good handling and agile is no match for Mustang. After all, the taste and flavor of driving the brz can't never describe by number on paper. It just feel so good deep inside the spinal cord with smile
The GT v6 isnt the killer. The GT v8 is. That is not much more expensive than the BRZ actually
Old 05-23-13, 02:06 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Whitigir
The GT v6 isnt the killer. The GT v8 is. That is not much more expensive than the BRZ actually
The point here is about the quality good driver car vs. good power car for the money. For straight power car, mustang is best bang for buck compare to M3, C63 & ISF.

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2014 Ford Mustang GT