Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting rid of my IS350, should I get an M5, S4, or IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 06:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
yeah how does a 2GR-FSE with 20k miles on it grenade?
X3 I'm curious too.
Old 05-20-13, 11:54 AM
08is350x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he had around 70,000 miles in his car.

Go for the IS-F
Old 05-20-13, 12:27 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah how does a 2GR-FSE with 20k miles on it grenade?
If he grenaded that he shouldn't consider any of the cars he's inquiring about lol
Old 05-20-13, 06:45 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

For reliable, hp status, cruising around on the street then go for ISF. German is suck up the wallet when it come to maintenance. What else to discuss for these cars ?
Old 05-20-13, 08:10 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DONT SLEEP
If he grenaded that he shouldn't consider any of the cars he's inquiring about lol
Well my last Toyota turned into an epic POS, a 2007 RAV4 with a 2GR-FE. Needed the oil hose recall done, seemed like I was taking it in for some TSB or recall every other month, left me stranded once with a nuked battery and was undriveable even after a jump because they didn't properly design in an electric steering current limiter system until 2009, and it needed a new transmission too. If you can't count on Toyota, why not? Look what's in the garage now. lol

Wonder if the VVT-i oil line blew or something - that would definitely cause a ton of damage, but I thought most all of the Lexus models had the proper metal braided line instead of the stupid cheap rubber one that wasn't even rated for the temp properly in the Toyotas that they tried to get away with.
Old 05-21-13, 03:05 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Well my last Toyota turned into an epic POS, a 2007 RAV4 with a 2GR-FE. Needed the oil hose recall done, seemed like I was taking it in for some TSB or recall every other month, left me stranded once with a nuked battery and was undriveable even after a jump because they didn't properly design in an electric steering current limiter system until 2009, and it needed a new transmission too. If you can't count on Toyota, why not? Look what's in the garage now. lol

Wonder if the VVT-i oil line blew or something - that would definitely cause a ton of damage, but I thought most all of the Lexus models had the proper metal braided line instead of the stupid cheap rubber one that wasn't even rated for the temp properly in the Toyotas that they tried to get away with.
See that's the issue :

anyone can have a real anecdoctal account of a statistically reliable engine blowing up in their face. But just going by statistics alone, the 2GR-FSE will easily outlive all the European engines and with much less maintenance issues to boot.

Same with the statistically bulletproof 2UR-GSE V8 engine in the IS-F.

Your experience unfortunately is the exception that proves the rule : Toyota/Lexus parts will on probability alone outlast and outlive parts from any German manufacturer not named Porsche.
Old 05-21-13, 05:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Many members on here "bash" other brands because of issues they had with a car they purchased.

I was disappointed in the quality of both Lexus I owned. Gave it a second shot and still just wasn't happy with the lack of quality. Go outside of car chat, seems to be coming more common to see others post about the lack of quality.

OP:

I would go German...you had the IS350 so the move to the ISF won't be as exciting IMO. I would post on other sites to get reviews off those given forums, your going to get biased opinions from most to go with the Lexus on this site.
Old 05-21-13, 06:05 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
See that's the issue :

anyone can have a real anecdoctal account of a statistically reliable engine blowing up in their face. But just going by statistics alone, the 2GR-FSE will easily outlive all the European engines and with much less maintenance issues to boot.

Same with the statistically bulletproof 2UR-GSE V8 engine in the IS-F.

Your experience unfortunately is the exception that proves the rule : Toyota/Lexus parts will on probability alone outlast and outlive parts from any German manufacturer not named Porsche.
I'd like to say that all of the issues I had with my RAV4 were a fluke and a statistical anomaly, but unfortunately they were pretty common, and much of it was due to a lack of attention to detail and cost-cutting trying to compete with Hyundai IMHO. My BMW hasn't been trouble free either but hasn't left me stranded (yet) and certainly is a whole helluva lot more fun to drive and turns heads everywhere. So I can see where the OP is coming from. I'd still trust a Japanese car to make it to high mileage reliably also, but Japanese cars are getting more and more complicated as well, while also being under enormous cost pressures from the Koreans. They literally don't and can't build them like they used to anymore. The 2002 Highlander that we still have is rock solid polished and refined old school Toyota. Love it! We'll keep it forever.
Old 05-21-13, 06:41 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

I'd say if you were to get an M5, get it through CarMax as their MaxCare warranty is an exclusionary warranty that pretty much covers everything. It's only like $2500 or so for a car in that price range. A lot of AMG owners do that and have had great success. I know CarMax's prices are a bit jacked up, but think about all the costs you're saving when (not if) your car breaks down.

Here's an example I found on the M5 forums (the first four posts sums it all up):

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-warranty.html
Old 05-21-13, 10:49 PM
gstreee
Rookie

is-f definitely, will cost you less in maintenance than the audi and def the s4. plus the is-f is a head turner
Old 05-22-13, 01:24 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

2006 is the worst year to get for the m5. join m5board.com
Old 05-22-13, 04:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd like to say that all of the issues I had with my RAV4 were a fluke and a statistical anomaly, but unfortunately they were pretty common, and much of it was due to a lack of attention to detail and cost-cutting trying to compete with Hyundai IMHO. My BMW hasn't been trouble free either but hasn't left me stranded (yet) and certainly is a whole helluva lot more fun to drive and turns heads everywhere. So I can see where the OP is coming from. I'd still trust a Japanese car to make it to high mileage reliably also, but Japanese cars are getting more and more complicated as well, while also being under enormous cost pressures from the Koreans. They literally don't and can't build them like they used to anymore. The 2002 Highlander that we still have is rock solid polished and refined old school Toyota. Love it! We'll keep it forever.
your only issue with GR engine was oil hose recall, dont overblow its proportions... I had a diesel Rav4 and I think it was best car I ever had.