Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda returning to F1 as McLaren partner

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 03:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Honda returning to F1 as McLaren partner

Honda returning to F1 as McLaren partner

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mclar...photo-5884837/

Honda must really love Formula One racing, as evidenced by today's announcement that the Japanese automaker is returning to the world's most popular motorsport for the fifth time in its history. Honda has entered into a team partnership with McLaren to develop and manufacture power systems – the engine and energy recovery system – for the 2015 F1 season. McLaren will be in charge of chassis development and running the day-to-day operations of this newly formed team, which will be called McLaren Honda.

Honda says its decision to reenter F1 racing had to do with new regulations for the 2014 season that require cars to be powered by a 1.6-liter direct-injection turbocharged V6 engine paired with an energy recovery system. Apparently the chance to develop this particular powertrain for F1 racing was too enticing for Honda to pass up, which suggests it has bigger plans for the knowledge learned while developing these systems beyond just winning races.

As mentioned, this is Honda's fifth foray into F1 racing, the first being back in 1964 when it participated as its own team through 1968. Its longest stint came from 1983-1992 as an engine supplier, during which time it partnered with many teams, including McLaren, and won six Constructor Championships. Honda then returned from 2000-2005 as an engine supplier for British American Racing (BAR) before buying that team outright and running it as Honda Racing from 2006-2008. Then the global economic crisis hit. Honda's return to the sport will surely be welcomed by fans as its partnership with McLaren should produce a formidable team. It's a strong signal that the company has returned to health after a few tumultuous years, and hopefully its rediscovered motorsports mojo will help yield more passionately engineered street cars.

Honda to Participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship

05/16/2013 - TOKYO, Japan

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced its decision to participate in the FIA Formula One (F1) World Championship from the 2015 season under a joint project with McLaren, the UK-based F1 corporation.

Honda will be in charge of the development, manufacture and supply of the power unit, including the engine and energy recovery system, while McLaren will be in charge of the development and manufacture of the chassis, as well as the management of the new team, McLaren Honda.

From 2014, new F1 regulations require the introduction of a 1.6 litre direct injection turbocharged V6 engine with energy recovery systems. The opportunity to further develop these powertrain technologies through the challenge of racing is central to Honda's decision to participate in F1. Throughout its history, Honda has passionately pursued improvements in the efficiency of the internal combustion engine and in more recent years, the development of pioneering energy management technologies such as hybrid systems. Participation in Formula 1 under these new regulations will encourage even further technological progress in both these areas. Furthermore, a new generation of Honda engineers can learn the challenges and the thrills of operating at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Commenting on this exciting development, Takanobu Ito, president and CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. said:
"Ever since its establishment, Honda has been a company which grows by taking on challenges in racing. Honda has a long history of advancing our technologies and nurturing our people by participating in the world's most prestigious automobile racing series. The new F1 regulations with their significant environmental focus will inspire even greater development of our own advanced technologies and this is central to our participation in F1. We have the greatest respect for the FIA's decision to introduce these new regulations that are both highly challenging but also attractive to manufacturers that pursue environmental technologies and to Formula One Group, which has developed F1 into a high value, top car racing category supported by enthusiastic fans. We would like to express our sincere gratitude to Mr. Jean Todt, the President of FIA and to Mr. Bernie Ecclestone, the CEO of Formula One Group who showed great understanding and cooperation to help realize our participation in F1 racing. The corporate slogan of Honda is "The Power of Dreams". This slogan represents our strong desire to pursue and realize our dreams together with our customers and fans. Together with McLaren, one of the most distinguished F1 constructors, Honda will mark a new beginning in our challenges in F1."

Also, Martin Whitmarsh, CEO of McLaren Group Limited said:
"The names of McLaren and Honda are synonymous with success in Formula One, and, for everyone who works for both companies, the weight of our past achievements together lies heavily on our shoulders. But it's a mark of the ambition and resolve we both share that we want once again to take McLaren Honda to the very pinnacle of Formula One success. Together we have a great legacy – and we're utterly committed to maintaining it."

Jean Todt, president of FIA said:
"I am very happy to hear about Honda's important decision to return to Formula One with McLaren from 2015.The introduction of the new power train next year, in the form of a 1.6 litre, 6 cylinder engine with direct injection and energy recovery, is a very exciting challenge and demonstrates a vision for the future of the sport. I am sure that Honda will become a strong contender in the years to come. "

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of Formula One Group said:
"It is a great pleasure to see Honda back in Formula One. Their engine technology and passion for motor sports make them a natural Formula One contender."

History of Honda Participation in F1 Racing:
1964-1968: Participated as an "all Honda" team including both the engine and chassis
1983-1992: Participated as an engine supplier (Won both the driver's and constructors' championship titles for four consecutive years from 1988 through 1991)
2000-2005: Participated as an engine supplier and joint developer of the chassis
2006-2008: Participated as an "all Honda" team including both the engine and chassis
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/16/h...laren-partner/
Old 05-16-13, 03:43 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

great for the sport.

as far as how much "passion" will trickle down into street cars, i'll withhold judgment.
Old 05-16-13, 04:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by projectdna
great for the sport.

as far as how much "passion" will trickle down into street cars, i'll withhold judgment.
Agreed. But a step back into racing is a step in the right direction
Old 05-16-13, 04:29 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda just wants a PR boost so they'll use F1 to do it, and then will keep making the same completely boring and mediocre cars that they've been building as before.
Old 05-16-13, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Honda just wants a PR boost so they'll use F1 to do it, and then will keep making the same completely boring and mediocre cars that they've been building as before.
Honda "The Power of Dreams"

Old 05-16-13, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i wonder how successful they will be this time
Old 05-16-13, 05:14 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i wonder how successful they will be this time
Considering they are only supplying engines and not building everything along with partnering with one of the premier teams in the sport, I think they will be tremendously successful.
Old 05-16-13, 06:30 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Considering they are only supplying engines and not building everything along with partnering with one of the premier teams in the sport, I think they will be tremendously successful.
With the current pairing of two No.2 drivers? I think not.
Old 05-16-13, 07:55 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
great for the sport.

Agreed. I'm not exactly holding my breath for a turbo 1.6V6 in the 2045 NSX.
Old 05-17-13, 09:42 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
that's the expectation, but not if the chassis these engines go in is a dog. just look at the performance disparity between the mercedes works team and scuderia ferrari and the respective teams that buy their engines (mclaren and force india for mercedes, toro rosso and sauber for ferrari).

Originally Posted by ydooby
With the current pairing of two No.2 drivers? I think not.
again, great engine, dog chassis.