Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 04:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
i guess this is the same logic used by cigarette smokers, or women wearing extra high heels. Probably more of the latter.
Not sure if I understand the point you're trying to make here, but I do like women in heels.
Old 09-18-15, 05:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
There are worse things then death.
like embarrassment?
Old 09-18-15, 08:57 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
like embarrassment?
Yes, like being picked up in a "freebird" VW bus love wagon as your car is being towed. NICE people though
Old 09-18-15, 02:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if the car stalls and get rear ended you are still covered

see i am not trying to discount the fact that this is quite a serious problem. i am not happy about it at all. but i do like to pick on BNR34 whenever i can, coz' i am still bitter that he drove the 458 haha
Just rent a 458 for a day
Old 03-20-16, 07:31 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S63's interior is alive.
Old 03-20-16, 07:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Gotta say, the speaker moving and the seat belt clip extending is pretty detailed.
Old 09-25-16, 08:36 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default 2017 Mercedes S-Class Updates Led By Maybach S550 4Matic

We're expecting Mercedes to roll out afacelifted S-Class soon. But before it does, the German automaker has introduced a series of relatively minor revisions for its flagship sedan – the most significant of them arguably being the arrival of all-wheel drive in the top-of-the-line Maybach version.

Starting with the 2017 model year, upscale buyers looking for the height of luxury combined with all-weather traction will be able to order up the Mercedes-Maybach S550 4Matic. What's more is that it's actually less expensive than the existing version. That's because it slots in underneath the existing Mercedes-Maybach S600, with its 6.0-liter twin-turbo V12. But despite the lower output from the 4.7-liter twin-turbo V8, Mercedes quotes the same 0-60 time of 5.0 seconds – likely enabled by the reduced weight and increased traction.

So instead of having to shell out $191,300, the new 4Matic version comes it at “only” $166,200 (plus a $925 destination charge). That compares rather favorably with the Bentley Flying Spur that offers either four- or twelve-cylinder power (both with all-wheel drive) starting over $200k, or the Rolls-Royce Ghost, which starts closer to $300,000 with its twelve-cylinder, rear-drive powertrain.

The Maybach models account for just two of the seven versions of the S-Class sedan that Mercedes offers in the United States, joined by the base S550, the S550e plug-in hybrid, S600 with its V12 engine, and the S63 and S65 AMG performance models. And that's before we even get into the coupe and convertible versions.

For 2017, all S-Class sedabs also come with the Mbrace2 Connect package as standard. Also available as a new option is the Magic Sky Control panoramic roof panel that tints at the push of a button. Of course, the main addition to the Maybach range is the arrival of the armored S600 Pullman Guard.

The bigger revisions, however, will follow when Daimler introduces the anticipated update to the S-Class to help it maintain its position as the market leader against the newer BMW 7 Series just introduced and the forthcoming new Audi A8.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/may...-mercedes.html

Old 09-25-16, 08:41 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Diesel Mercedes-Benz S350d Has All The Luxury Exec Bases Covered

What else can we say about the S-Classthat hasn't been said already? Some call it the best-looking car in its class, others the most comfortable, though all we know for sure is that it definitely attracts more customers than the 7-Series or the A8, so there sure issomething about it.

Carwow's Mat Watson set out to give this luxury icon, in 350d form, the rundown. The diesel model gets a 3.0-liter V6 oil-burner rated at 255hp (258PS) and a massive 620Nm (457.2 lb-ft) of peak torque.

Apparently, going with a refrigerator in the back will eat up a surprising amount of trunk space - so maybe keeping your champagne cool isn't exactly worth defeating the purpose of owning a large car. Unless you buy the car with the intent of having someone else drive it, that is.

Among some of the negatives discovered by Watson was the fact that some models come with fake leather on top of the dash and that charging your phone means that your cable will get snagged.

There are a few other things to nitpick but none of them seem to offset the fact that the S-Class remains at the top of its game as well as its segment in terms of luxury, looks, and comfort. Basically what a limousine is all about.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/mer...xury-exec.html
Old 09-26-16, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the seats in that maybach look heavenly
Old 09-27-16, 01:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I can't believe the prices Mercedes is now charing for some of their high end vehicles. I don't think the Maybach is the highest priced anymore, I have seen a S-class hit $268K for an AMG V12. Even more astonishing is that when you price out a Maybach V12 and you opt for the $5000 multi-spoke rim options, wheel locks come as a $150 extra charge.
Old 09-27-16, 02:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Refresh on the new S class already and still not new LS? Lexus is getting left in the dust.
Old 09-27-16, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can't believe the prices Mercedes is now charing for some of their high end vehicles. I don't think the Maybach is the highest priced anymore, I have seen a S-class hit $268K for an AMG V12. Even more astonishing is that when you price out a Maybach V12 and you opt for the $5000 multi-spoke rim options, wheel locks come as a $150 extra charge.
M-B products, especially the high-end ones in the Amerian market (Euro-spec versions are sometimes less-expensive) have always been about big $$$$$. That's one reason why Lexus succeed so well in the 1990s, and became a major M-B competitor...they were able to provide as good or better a vehicle at a lower cost. M-B was forced to cut costs back then....and the quality of their vehicles suffered markedly. Since then, though, M-B has rebounded considerably, and is able to charge very high prices simply because people will pay them now, even with lexus still being a competitor. Besides, some (not all) of the people who buy top-level Mercedes products may have more money than sense. Look at Lindsay Lohan......a perfect example (she's a spoiled young Hollywood actress, if you're not aware of her). She's wrecked two brand-new SL Mercedes AMGs with her constant alcoholism and drug-abuse......and keeps coming back for more LOL.

Old 09-27-16, 07:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The S65 AMG was always the most expensive. They get that expensive with every last option (including matte paint) and then suffer hilarious depreciation. Perhaps it'll be more worth it once the new V12 arrives with the facelift...the current V12's basic design is about to crest 20 years old!
Old 09-27-16, 07:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Refresh on the new S class already and still not new LS? Lexus is getting left in the dust.
Current LS is 2 generations behind at this point.
I think Lexus gave up trying to compete with Sclass at this point.

BMW is not fairing any better as the New 7 is a disaster, how it ever made it pass the final approvals of the design dept is beyond me.
Old 09-27-16, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The LS is one generation behind. Not two. The previous S Class and the LS460 both came out for 07.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class