Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 05:55 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
We're just never going to agree on this. I don't care how much money you have, $100k is always a lot of money. $50k is a lot of money. $30k is a lot of money. I'd rather buy an in investment property using that money, or keep it invested where its earning a return than sink it into a car, thats just my financial mentality. Because I can deduct lease cost as a business expense it becomes even more attractive. You may think my way is foolish, but I promise you I think your way is foolish too. You have presumably about $300,000 in cash tied up in cars depreciating like a rock, I'm sorry but I think thats stupid.

So like I said, don't assume that just because somebody is leasing or financing a car they can't afford to buy a car.
I don't exactly know how it is in the US, but in Japan, you can buy a car outright with your business (Which I did) and still deduct on your tax return. You don't need to lease.

Get over yourself lol. It was a comment made to him by a car salesman, who knows if it has any bearing in truth, and even if it does...not only is is about someone you don't know...its about someone you don't even have any concept of because its a person the person who gave you the information (who, you don't actually know) doesn't even know. So save us your self righteous indignation.
It was a comment made by the OP which I commented on regardless of how truthful it was, I took it at face value and made a comment. If it was not truthfull or something else then "YOU" should adjust your thinking, why should I? "Get over yourself" what a cliche if I ever heard one.....
Old 05-30-15, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I don't exactly know how it is in the US, but in Japan, you can buy a car outright with your business (Which I did) and still deduct on your tax return. You don't need to lease.
You can deduct a purchased car on your taxes for business, but its more complicated, you have to depreciate it over time and if you dispose of the vehicle during that period of time you have to pay recaptured depreciation. There are also caps on how much you can depreciate in a given year, and total. So if you buy an expensive car, you get capped out on what you can deduct. With a lease the payment is the payment, and the whole payment (or the % of use you claim for business) is deductible more or less.

If you're in the top tax bracket or close to it its a huge savings, remember its above the line so its deducted from self employment tax as well.

Plus...you still have your $100,000. I can use that $100,000 to put 50% down on an investment property and my tenant can pay off my $100k mortgage and my car lease.
Old 05-30-15, 06:22 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

You can deduct a purchased car on your taxes for business, but its more complicated, you have to depreciate it over time and if you dispose of the vehicle during that period of time you have to pay recaptured depreciation. There are also caps on how much you can depreciate in a given year, and total. So if you buy an expensive car, you get capped out on what you can deduct. With a lease the payment is the payment, and the whole payment (or the % of use you claim for business) is deductible more or less.

If you're in the top tax bracket or close to it its a huge savings, remember its above the line so its deducted from self employment tax as well.

Plus...you still have your $100,000. I can use that $100,000 to put 50% down on an investment property and my tenant can pay off my $100k mortgage and my car lease.
Property does not work in Japan. You lose money every time. And there are no caps in Japan on your expense, if you can make a legitimate claim it can be fulfilled.
Old 05-30-15, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Property does not work in Japan. You lose money every time. And there are no caps in Japan on your expense, if you can make a legitimate claim it can be fulfilled.
That's an entirely different situation then.

We're way off track though
Old 05-30-15, 02:22 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For ****s sake, the OP said the guy could not "AFFORD" the car. So yeah ,it is about money.
Again, YOU do not know the situation and that's STILL the point. Let me put this in a different perspective: If I post that there is going to be a new SC460 hardtop convertible released this year(This would be the part about the OP repeating what the salesman told him about not being able to afford it) and you go around spreading news it, guess who looks foolish because if it isn't true? Still the same concept.
Old 05-30-15, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

ok all, let's knock off the hypotheticals and debates about a person none of us know and stick to the s-class itself.
Old 05-30-15, 08:31 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok all, let's knock off the hypotheticals and debates about a person none of us know and stick to the s-class itself.
Sorry, I should not have made the comment. It was just an off the cuff remark and didn't think it would turn into this.

On a brighter note, I think I am going to get a Wald Black Bison kit for the S550.
Old 06-01-15, 05:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Yea enough talk about that.

And Dave, show us more of your cars! Side by side pics would be awesome
Old 08-07-15, 09:59 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you get for six-figures in the S-Class? How about heated door panels, belt bags, seat massagers and a suspension that literally reads the road.

If you want something spendier than a Lexus but aren't ready for a baby-Bentley or Roller, you have one option: the Mercedes S-Class. The S550 4Matic is exactly what I want out of a big luxury sedan. I want it to be big and bold but avoid brash by a hair. I want it to be impossibly quiet, perfectly smooth, insanely powerful, able to stop on a dime (OK so that part is a little lacking), handle like a sports coupé and get silent nods from the folks at the country club. You can get some of those things in the competition, but this big Merc succeeds at all of them in a way no other sedan does.
Old 08-11-15, 04:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I saw one of these W222 S65 yesterday, it accelerate quick!

Saw another S65 coupe a few weeks ago, dang ballers everywhere
Old 08-11-15, 08:03 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Since this thread got bumped, thought I'd provide some updates:

1. For 2016, the AMG sedans will come with the coupe's 3-spoke steering wheel. It was already available via special order but now we're finally inline with the rest of the world.

2. The S-class MCE will feature one continuous screen instead of 2 separate ones.
Old 08-11-15, 08:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
2. The S-class MCE will feature one continuous screen instead of 2 separate ones.
Instead of two 12.3 inch screens it's a 24.6 inch screen (or close to it)?
Old 08-11-15, 08:29 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Instead of two 12.3 inch screens it's a 24.6 inch screen (or close to it)?
Yep! That's the plan. I'm not surprised that's coming since the CES concept looked like this:

Old 08-11-15, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Since this thread got bumped, thought I'd provide some updates:

1. For 2016, the AMG sedans will come with the coupe's 3-spoke steering wheel. It was already available via special order but now we're finally inline with the rest of the world.

glad to hear about the steering wheel, makes a lot of sense

and wow, very interesting update on the screen!
Old 08-11-15, 10:17 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that three spoke design should also be included when you get the sport package on the 550

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class