Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Old 05-28-15, 05:26 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

that car is gorgeous. congratulations.
Old 05-28-15, 06:46 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 260hpTypeS
Thanks guys. Yea, there is nothing like a dark blue interior on an MB. Reminds me of the classics--brought to the new level in this superiorly crafted W222.

I loved this segment when I was young as well. Finally after all those years of hard work in med school/residency/fellowship, I get to have one, and what perfect timing as this is the best S-class ever made.

I wish you the best on having that dream. Keep working hard

Thanks again guys.
Obviously the guy who ordered it was living beyond his means.
Old 05-28-15, 07:39 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Or he/his wife could have gotten a medical condition that was costly and a car became secondary. Nothing is "obvious" without facts, and making ASSumptions only make you look foolish.
Old 05-28-15, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i had the w221 and seriously i am in love with the w222. my goal, my goal
Old 05-28-15, 03:45 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickTee
Or he/his wife could have gotten a medical condition that was costly and a car became secondary. Nothing is "obvious" without facts, and making ASSumptions only make you look foolish.
Maybe I am out of the times, but if you can afford a car like this, you should have descent medical to cover things like that. The point I am making is that it seems they did not have their priorities straight. That or they lost a high paying job and were living pay check to pay check, b/c you should have enough tucked away to deal with "an unfortunate circumstance".

Originally Posted by rominl
How did you find that car? I did not hear many good things about it, but the W222 has only received praise left, right and center.
Old 05-28-15, 05:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
I would agree if they do something right to that huge front grill for the facelift
Old 05-28-15, 05:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

How did you find that car? I did not hear many good things about it, but the W222 has only received praise left, right and center.
i had the 07 s550 and also the 07 ls460l. honestly, till this point, i miss my s550 far more than the ls460l. the car is a total tank, very solid, more punchy, better handling, and provide about the same comfort as the ls460l. there are things i think the car can do better (and not as good as the ls460l at the time), but overall i think the w221 is really one heck of a car.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I would agree if they do something right to that huge front grill for the facelift
yup, that's my complaint on my 07. i don't like a few things about the exterior. i think the 10+ looks soooo much better.

pre facelift, look wise, ls460l > s550. post facelift, s550 > ls460l
Old 05-29-15, 11:54 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 464 Likes on 293 Posts

Or maybe the customer just bought something else?
Old 05-29-15, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Congratulations! She's a beauty, enjoy it in good health.

Maybe I am out of the times, but if you can afford a car like this, you should have descent medical to cover things like that. The point I am making is that it seems they did not have their priorities straight. That or they lost a high paying job and were living pay check to pay check, b/c you should have enough tucked away to deal with "an unfortunate circumstance".
So now we judge people we only know about third hand? Whats the point of your comments in the first place?

The guy backs out of an ordered car and then he "doesn't have his priorities straight"? Lets say he did loose a high paying job or whatever and still had plenty of reserves and savings, etc. Would you still go ahead with a $120k+ luxury car purchase in that situation even though technically you could?
Old 05-29-15, 05:55 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Or maybe the customer just bought something else?
That is always an option.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
Congratulations! She's a beauty, enjoy it in good health.

So now we judge people we only know about third hand? Whats the point of your comments in the first place?

The guy backs out of an ordered car and then he "doesn't have his priorities straight"? Lets say he did loose a high paying job or whatever and still had plenty of reserves and savings, etc. Would you still go ahead with a $120k+ luxury car purchase in that situation even though technically you could?
Probably, but so many people these days lease, losing your job means not being able to pay the payments. I refuse to lease a car, if you can afford a car like this, it should not take you long to save enough money to buy one outright.

What is the point of my comments? I don't know, I did not really think it through, it was an off the cuff remark.
Old 05-29-15, 07:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because somebody leases doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to make the payments if they lost their job, or that they wouldn't be able to buy the car outright. I could buy the car outright, but I would never tie up that much money in a depreciating asset when I have it invested and earning a return somewhere else. An S Class has terrible depreciation.
Old 05-29-15, 09:40 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just because somebody leases doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to make the payments if they lost their job, or that they wouldn't be able to buy the car outright. I could buy the car outright, but I would never tie up that much money in a depreciating asset when I have it invested and earning a return somewhere else. An S Class has terrible depreciation.
You are talking about $100K which is not a lot of money tied up if you can afford a car at this price. The investment also better be earning a lot more than the interest on the lease payments ,b/c no investment is risk free and getting out of a lease early as you know can cost you if no-one is ready to take on that lease. And you make it sound like a leased car does not depreciate??? The end result will be the same for both, it is just how much you end up losing on that particular car. Buying a car is throwing away money, there is no dodging it.
Old 05-30-15, 01:45 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the guy's wife is dying, cars suddenly become less relevant. It's not always about the amount of money.
The point of all this is that you have zero clue about the circumstances, therefore it's absurd for you to make such comments.
Old 05-30-15, 02:10 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickTee
If the guy's wife is dying, cars suddenly become less relevant. It's not always about the amount of money.
The point of all this is that you have zero clue about the circumstances, therefore it's absurd for you to make such comments.
For ****s sake, the OP said the guy could not "AFFORD" the car. So yeah ,it is about money.
Old 05-30-15, 05:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You are talking about $100K which is not a lot of money tied up if you can afford a car at this price. The investment also better be earning a lot more than the interest on the lease payments ,b/c no investment is risk free and getting out of a lease early as you know can cost you if no-one is ready to take on that lease. And you make it sound like a leased car does not depreciate??? The end result will be the same for both, it is just how much you end up losing on that particular car. Buying a car is throwing away money, there is no dodging it.
We're just never going to agree on this. I don't care how much money you have, $100k is always a lot of money. $50k is a lot of money. $30k is a lot of money. I'd rather buy an in investment property using that money, or keep it invested where its earning a return than sink it into a car, thats just my financial mentality. Because I can deduct lease cost as a business expense it becomes even more attractive. You may think my way is foolish, but I promise you I think your way is foolish too. You have presumably about $300,000 in cash tied up in cars depreciating like a rock, I'm sorry but I think thats stupid.

So like I said, don't assume that just because somebody is leasing or financing a car they can't afford to buy a car.

For ****s sake, the OP said the guy could not "AFFORD" the car. So yeah ,it is about money.
Get over yourself lol. It was a comment made to him by a car salesman, who knows if it has any bearing in truth, and even if it does...not only is is about someone you don't know...its about someone you don't even have any concept of because its a person the person who gave you the information (who, you don't actually know) doesn't even know. So save us your self righteous indignation.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-30-15 at 05:31 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class