Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 12:57 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i am kind of thinking the same. between the s65 and s63, it's really not that much difference unless you care about out rocketing everyone above 100mph, which i assume isn't easy in japan. and given the huge price tag in japan, for the price if i want status i might as well do phantom.
I would still choose the S65 over the S63 anyday..................but that's because I always like and prefer to GO ALL OUT.

The only reason to choose the S63 over the S65.......is if you want to get 4MATIC AWD........but the problem is that it's only available in LHD.

As much as it is a status symbol, driving an LHD car in an RHD country such as Japan is a pain imho.
Old 12-30-14, 06:13 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I would.

Personal opinion:
For me though, the Phantom is for OLD PEOPLE (e.g. Warren Buffet type) due to its very conservative styling. It's also more of a car to be driven or chauffeured.

Point being: If you want an RR that you yourself will drive, then get a Wraith.

Don't forget that you guys have annual registration taxes and I think there is a tax on the size of your vehicle. Also, the increase in consumption/sales tax (courtesy of 'Abenomics') from 5% to 8% (with a possibility to increase to 10%) may have some effect although I'm not sure as to how much.

Of course, another thing is import tax and customs fees (due to shipping and logistics).
If import taxes were the issue, then why up until the Japanese yen decided to take a dump was every single Lexus in the line up more expensive in Japan?

No, for some reason people just accept the fact that things are marked up so high here.

I was buying a business server (Dell)with 529 client pc's and I got a quote from a U.S. company and the server alone was nearly $200,000US cheaper than in Japan on a $600,000US server. I went to order it and as soon as they found out I was in Japan all communication stopped and they said deal with our office in Japan. I could understand this if I was asking them to do the mainatnence, but I was going to the IT guys do all the required maintenance in house. Still they would not sell to to me. They are effectively stealing from us, not to mention that we have to pay them $15,000 a month maintinence package and that does not include parts broken. They theoretically may never even have to see the server if it never breaks down. What is even worse, in five years time I have to pay them the same amount for a new server even if the old one is working like a charm, b/c they won't service a machine past five years. I can tell you now we get ripped on business servers here. And I tried other companies, but they are all in on this sort of price fixing.Sorry for the rant, but I am not a happy camper due to this.
Originally Posted by rominl
i am kind of thinking the same. between the s65 and s63, it's really not that much difference unless you care about out rocketing everyone above 100mph, which i assume isn't easy in japan. and given the huge price tag in japan, for the price if i want status i might as well do phantom.

i fully understand the status meaning of rr, but i am also not a big fan of it, a bit too old school and "boring" for me. i have driven the phantom, you are so isolated and the car is so heavy there is zero fun. yes you would probably like to be just being driven around in that

dave, i am also very surprised about the price tag of the mb s amg in japan, seems like they are just expensive for no reason, when they are touching the ghost price already
Yeah, all cars here are 180km speed limited, it is the law. So anything over 100 mph is pretty much useless. But you can get the limiters taken off illegally and if you get caught they really don't do anything to you.
Old 12-30-14, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
If import taxes were the issue, then why up until the Japanese yen decided to take a dump was every single Lexus in the line up more expensive in Japan?

No, for some reason people just accept the fact that things are marked up so high here.

I was buying a business server (Dell)with 529 client pc's and I got a quote from a U.S. company and the server alone was nearly $200,000US cheaper than in Japan on a $600,000US server. I went to order it and as soon as they found out I was in Japan all communication stopped and they said deal with our office in Japan. I could understand this if I was asking them to do the mainatnence, but I was going to the IT guys do all the required maintenance in house. Still they would not sell to to me. They are effectively stealing from us, not to mention that we have to pay them $15,000 a month maintinence package and that does not include parts broken. They theoretically may never even have to see the server if it never breaks down. What is even worse, in five years time I have to pay them the same amount for a new server even if the old one is working like a charm, b/c they won't service a machine past five years. I can tell you now we get ripped on business servers here. And I tried other companies, but they are all in on this sort of price fixing.Sorry for the rant, but I am not a happy camper due to this.

Yeah, all cars here are 180km speed limited, it is the law. So anything over 100 mph is pretty much useless. But you can get the limiters taken off illegally and if you get caught they really don't do anything to you.
you are right, tax is one thing but it's not the real problem on some of these very odd price hike on certain specific products for no reason. similar things happen to some other items in some other countries but i do know in japan, somehow things are more expensive just because. obviously you got hit bad (servers and cars)....

silly idea though, if you don't even care about having their support since you have your own IT guy, why don't you have someone in the US buy everything and then ship over to you?

and back on topic, i really really hope to see you comment more on the s63 after some drive!
Old 12-30-14, 11:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

things are expensive in japan for many reasons but one huge one is the country has almost no natural resources (energy and metals to name two big ones!). agriculture is also somewhat limited with scarce expensive land, so food is imported a lot too. all these things make japan a very expensive country to live in. then you combine that with a monumentally incompetent government and collusion with 'big companies' it's no wonder things are expensive. japan has the highest government debt per capita in the world. of course the u.s. is no position to brag with its vast debt but the energy, resources and agriculture alone are enormous helping things some not to mention innovation. japan obviously makes a great many high quality products, but they still don't do software that well, or medical, or pharmaceutical, etc.

not bashing japan, it's an amazing country and rightfully proud of the high quality service and products it has, despite the lack of natural resources. australia wouldn't be what it is if it didn't export so much iron ore and food to japan.
Old 12-31-14, 05:24 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I thought the 180 km/h only applied to Japan-made and Japan-market vehicles.

For foreign cars like Porsche or a BMW M5 F10, the limit does not apply (at least from what I'm told). The only thing the import brands add to their Japan-bound models are stuff such as a VICS module and the ETC card slot (for toll collection).

Speaking of speed limit, 180 km/h shouldn't be difficult to achieve. I mean, I don't mean to brag but I already reached the following speeds in various cars:
-Toyota Fortuner = 160 km/h (100 mph)
-Toyota Corolla Altis = 162 km/h @ 5,000 RPM (man that 4-speed AT is really pushing it lol )
-Lexus IS300 (2IS) = 110 kmh inside an urban city/CBD ; empty road
-Peugeot 508 GT 2.2 Diesel = 170 km/h (5th gear)

For that matter, I'm actually looking forward to it whenever I rent a car in Japan.......so I can take it to 180 km/h on the Wangan Line (Daiba route)
Old 12-31-14, 11:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave 600hL-

As luck would have it, I drove both a 2014 S63 and an S65 this morning. How did you feel about the S63's MCT transmission at low speeds? It wasn't bad in comfort, but I could definitely feel the clutches engaging/disengaging in stop & go traffic. You kinda had to work around it to smooth things out. The 2015 CLS63 got new hardware and software for its MCT transmission. I wonder if yours is going to come equipped with that update. Apparently it's smoother and more responsive to the shift paddles.In any event, it was quite athletic feeling and I really enjoyed it. That V8 engine note is intoxicating no matter what AMG its in.

I loved the S65. I think I just like the idea of having a V12 sedan. It was loud at startup but much quieter than the S63 at idle/around town. Didn't see that coming given it's the top dog. It was also smoother in traffic since it has the torque converter transmission. You could definitely feel the extra weight up front though and it takes a bit for the turbos to spool, unlike the S63.
Old 12-31-14, 12:19 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Dave 600hL-

As luck would have it, I drove both a 2014 S63 and an S65 this morning. How did you feel about the S63's MCT transmission at low speeds? It wasn't bad in comfort, but I could definitely feel the clutches engaging/disengaging in stop & go traffic. You kinda had to work around it to smooth things out. The 2015 CLS63 got new hardware and software for its MCT transmission. I wonder if yours is going to come equipped with that update. Apparently it's smoother and more responsive to the shift paddles.In any event, it was quite athletic feeling and I really enjoyed it. That V8 engine note is intoxicating no matter what AMG its in.

I loved the S65. I think I just like the idea of having a V12 sedan. It was loud at startup but much quieter than the S63 at idle/around town. Didn't see that coming given it's the top dog. It was also smoother in traffic since it has the torque converter transmission. You could definitely feel the extra weight up front though and it takes a bit for the turbos to spool, unlike the S63.
Very informative stuff.

Interestingly enough though, opinions may vary on this subject.

For instance, *Batman* (who is a member here on ClubLexus and owns a BMW M5 F10) told me over at Bimmerpost that he prefers the S63 over the S65 on the basis that the MCT gearbox is more superior compared to the 7G TRONIC PLUS unit.

I guess different strokes for different folks.

Personally though, between choosing:
-S63 with a V8 Twin Turbo and Dual Clutch Gearbox
-S65 with a V12 Twin Turbo and AMG-enhacnced 7G TRONIC PLUS automatic with Speedshift

I would still choose the S65

IMHO, I still choose the more powerful engine (even if I compromise on choosing a more 'inferior' gearbox)......though in my case, I wouldn't call it inferior either.

For most day-to-day driving, you won't notice much of a difference. The only time dual-clutch beats conventional automatic is only during track or racing applications. For basic city driving and highway/motorway cruising, the conventional auto won't lag far behind.

Just my opinion
Old 12-31-14, 01:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Very informative stuff.

Interestingly enough though, opinions may vary on this subject.

For instance, *Batman* (who is a member here on ClubLexus and owns a BMW M5 F10) told me over at Bimmerpost that he prefers the S63 over the S65 on the basis that the MCT gearbox is more superior compared to the 7G TRONIC PLUS unit.

I guess different strokes for different folks.

Personally though, between choosing:
-S65 with a V12 Twin Turbo and AMG-enhacnced 7G TRONIC PLUS automatic with Speedshift

I would still choose the S65

IMHO, I still choose the more powerful engine (even if I compromise on choosing a more 'inferior' gearbox)......though in my case, I wouldn't call it inferior either.

For most day-to-day driving, you won't notice much of a difference. The only time dual-clutch beats conventional automatic is only during track or racing applications. For basic city driving and highway/motorway cruising, the conventional auto won't lag far behind.

Just my opinion
Very interesting indeed. The S63's transmission certainly shifted faster and gave a more sporting feel so I can see where opinions could be split on the matter.

Also remember this isn't a dual clutch transmission like the Getrag unit in the SLS and AMG GT. The MCT transmission is basically a conventional 7-speed AMG 7G-TRONIC but with a wet pack startup clutch in place of the torque converter. Very unique design.
Old 12-31-14, 02:00 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The S63 doesn't have a dual clutch gearbox. MCT is not a dual clutch gearbox.
Old 12-31-14, 02:47 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave 600hL-

I is way better than the roughness of the hybrid motor switching on on the LS600. Honestly I did not find it bad at all. But I was not really paying much attention to it, most of my focus when driving was on the pulling power it had. At low speeds I was trying to figure out how to use that little thing on the console. I did however really like the LCD screens.

I thought the 180 km/h only applied to Japan-made and Japan-market vehicles.

For foreign cars like Porsche or a BMW M5 F10, the limit does not apply (at least from what I'm told). The only thing the import brands add to their Japan-bound models are stuff such as a VICS module and the ETC card slot (for toll collection).

Speaking of speed limit, 180 km/h shouldn't be difficult to achieve. I mean, I don't mean to brag but I already reached the following speeds in various cars:
-Toyota Fortuner = 160 km/h (100 mph)
-Toyota Corolla Altis = 162 km/h @ 5,000 RPM (man that 4-speed AT is really pushing it lol )
-Lexus IS300 (2IS) = 110 kmh inside an urban city/CBD ; empty road
-Peugeot 508 GT 2.2 Diesel = 170 km/h (5th gear)

For that matter, I'm actually looking forward to it whenever I rent a car in Japan.......so I can take it to 180 km/h on the Wangan Line (Daiba route)
My bad, I just looked up the speed limiters and it seems that Benz have them from 210km to 250km. Something I was surprised to see was that GTR has the option to get it taken off. I don't know why, but I just don't like that car.
Old 12-31-14, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

some very good posts!
Old 01-01-15, 12:35 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

My bad, I just looked up the speed limiters and it seems that Benz have them from 210km to 250km. Something I was surprised to see was that GTR has the option to get it taken off. I don't know why, but I just don't like that car.
Import cars (non-Japanese) don't seem to be required to do so.

I think MB Japan even offers an option to raise the limiter to something like 300 km/h haha.........though I don't think you could do something like that on Japanese public roads

As for the R35 GT-R (Japan-spec JDM version), the speed is limited to 180 km/h.........BUT if the GPS Sat-Nav detects that you are in a Nissan-approved race track, the speed limiter will be disabled when you are in such 'derestricted zones'.

Also remember this isn't a dual clutch transmission like the Getrag unit in the SLS and AMG GT. The MCT transmission is basically a conventional 7-speed AMG 7G-TRONIC but with a wet pack startup clutch in place of the torque converter. Very unique design.
Originally Posted by gengar
The S63 doesn't have a dual clutch gearbox. MCT is not a dual clutch gearbox.
Oh right my bad on that.

So yeah, both are automatics but the S63 uses a wet pack clutch while the S65 still uses a torque converter (?)

Speaking of MB Getrag DCT:
I remember Chris Harris mentioned that the unit in the SLS Gullwing was an early generation unit so MB AMG had to detune it in order to protect the gearbox/transmission unit, driveshaft as well as other components.

For the new AMG GT S however, the unit has been improved and strengthened so there are no more restrictions in place.

Last edited by Blackraven; 01-01-15 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 01:57 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

So yeah, both are automatics but the S63 uses a wet pack clutch while the S65 still uses a torque converter (?)
Exactly. Except for the wet pack clutch, MCT is otherwise identical to a typical automatic transmission - planetary gears and all.

BTW, my point was not to correct you factually - just want to make sure no one goes and drives the S63 and wonders why it's such a "lousy" "dual clutch" or something.
Old 01-01-15, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

As luck would have it, I drove both a 2014 S63 and an S65 this morning. ...
I loved the S65. I think I just like the idea of having a V12 sedan. ...
if i was in the market for one of these wonderful sedans, i'd go for the v12 - like another slogan... there is no substitute.
Old 01-01-15, 11:20 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Exactly. Except for the wet pack clutch, MCT is otherwise identical to a typical automatic transmission - planetary gears and all.

BTW, my point was not to correct you factually - just want to make sure no one goes and drives the S63 and wonders why it's such a "lousy" "dual clutch" or something.
Hehe noted

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if i was in the market for one of these wonderful sedans, i'd go for the v12 - like another slogan... there is no substitute.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class