Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 08:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The S8 has comparatively crappy ride quality but is much more fun to drive. Only got to drive one for a limited time but that was apparent very early on. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
Old 08-04-14, 08:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
My boss just got rid of his S550 for a S8. They are priced around the same.
He seems much more smitten with the audi and he's a Benz guy. Can't wait to drive it.
Really?!? Wow I'm surprised.
Old 08-04-14, 10:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I'm looking at both for next ride but leaning towards S550, so the S8 is better?!
Old 08-05-14, 04:46 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow I'm looking at both for next ride but leaning towards S550, so the S8 is better?!
The S550 is a luxury car first and foremost. All of its systems (magic body control, perfume air dispenser, heated armrests, "hot stone" massage) are made for coddling.

The S8 is only available in short wheel base form, comes with ultra low profile tires and big wheels, a comparatively stiff ride, and can outperform most sports cars. It's an absolute beast on the road. I'd say it's closest competitor in mission is Jaguar's short wheel base XJR.

In short, the two aren't directly comparable. If you want a large sedan with relatively little focus on coddling and the back seat passengers, an engaging ride, and explosive acceleration then the S8 will be a better fit. Even the S63 AMG is a still a degree more tame (and only available in LWB form).
Old 08-05-14, 06:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe 800PS by Voltage Design

Yes, these are photoshopped renderings you see here, but they're from a Bavarian tuner who promises to deliver the real deal on the road.

The aftermarket firm is Voltage-Design and it's teasing a new performance package for the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe, complete with a styling kit and a significant power boost for the bi-turbo V8 engine prowling under the hood.

Like many tunes of the sort, Voltage-Design's cosmetic mods are made from lightweight carbon fiber, including the radiator grille with the company's own logo in place of the star, a chin spoiler, hood air vents, side skirts, rear diffuser, boot lid spoiler and bumper trims. While not seen in the renders, the tuner says it also offers full carbon fiber mirror caps and bonnet replacements.

The car rolls on 22-inch Vossen CVT rims in silver metallic and sits up to 35mm lower to the ground through a suspension kit.

If you opt for the VD Storm 800 engine kit, you get a new ECU, down pipes, exhaust system, a revised manifold and upgraded turbochargers, which take the stock 5.5-liter V8 from 577hp (585PS) and 900 Nm (663 lb-ft) of torque to 789hp (800PS) and 1,100 Nm (811 lb-ft) respectively. With that kind of power, you may also want to check out VD's available carbon-ceramic braking system.

For pricing, we'll have to wait for the Germans to release details.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/mer...-800ps-by.html
Old 08-05-14, 06:24 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mercedes-Benz S600 Guard officially revealed

Click here to view more photos

Meets resistance class VR9 requirements

Following last weekend's preview, Mercedes-Benz has fully revealed the S600 Guard.

Mercedes-Benz says the S600 Guard is the first vehicle in the world "comprehensively certified" for highest ballistic protection in resistance class VR9. The armored S-Class has received specially developed protective components made from a special type of steel built into the cavities between the body structure and outer skin. For additional splinter protection, the vehicle comes with special aramide (heat-resistant synthetic fibers) and polyethylene components.

All glass areas have been coated with polycarbonate on the inside and they also feature a laminated structure. From a visual point of view, the S600 Guard looks virtually the same as the non-armored model and can be had as a four- or five-seater with a 350-liter trunk capacity. Power comes from the same V12 6.0-liter twin-turbo engine outputting 530 PS (390 kW) and 612 lb-ft (830 Nm) of torque as in the regular S600.

Guard-specific equipment includes a panic alarm system, opaque roller blinds, emergency fresh air system, hydraulic side windows, gimbal rear LED reading lamps, special rear cooling compartment and heated windscreen & side windows.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408057...ially-revealed
Old 08-05-14, 06:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mercedes-Benz S-Class Becomes Fully-Autonomous Thanks to Soda Can

As with pretty much every new generation of the “Sonder Klasse” in the past, the latest Mercedes-Benz S-Class is trying really hard to be a technological tour de force, and from many points of view, it's very much succeeding.

Most people talk about its hot stone massage seats or the Magic Body Control suspension system, but one of its most coveted newly-introduced technologies should probably be the Distronic Plus system with Steering Assist and Stop and Go capabilities.

Thanks to a wide array of short, medium and long-range radar sensors that work together with a stereo camera system situated behind the windshield, Distronic Plus with Steering Assist can maintain the optimum distance to the vehicle in front – automatically braking and accelerating the car depending on the situation.

Even more impressive is the Steering Assist bit, which in theory ensures that the car remains in in the middle of the lane even on gentle bends – and all this without driver intervention.

Since current legislation in most countries doesn't actually allow fully autonomous cars on their roads, Mercedes-Benz was required to fit additional sensors on the steering wheel in order to detect that the driver keeps at least one hand on the wheel. If it detects that the driver isn't using the steering during a given time, the Steering Assist system is deactivated.

Closely following the KISS principle, it seems that the steering wheel sensor is actually based on weight, so the German owner of a Mercedes-Benz S 500 decided to trick the system using what appears to be a can of juice.

The weight of the soda can simulates the driver using the steering wheel, which in translation means that the car can drive all by itself on the German Autobahn. Kind of cool but somewhat scary at the same time, especially since the shape of the steering wheel and the two gauges look a bit like a clown face...
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/mer...mes-fully.html
Old 08-05-14, 02:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Omg brilliant! Lol!!

But would anyone really can fully trust the system?
Old 08-05-14, 05:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

That is pretty hilarious. I wouldn't want to be in the driver's seat should anything happen and the airbag deploys though. Also, it looks like the highway is pretty straight in the video. This would not work on a freeway with strong curves.

Also I have found no documentation by MB USA that stop and go traffic assist is available in america.
Old 08-05-14, 06:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
That is pretty hilarious. I wouldn't want to be in the driver's seat should anything happen and the airbag deploys though. Also, it looks like the highway is pretty straight in the video. This would not work on a freeway with strong curves.

Also I have found no documentation by MB USA that stop and go traffic assist is available in america.
It's in the Driver Assistance Package- Distronic Plus with Steering Assist
Old 08-05-14, 08:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

See if you can find any documentation within MBUSA that says "stop and go pilot"

stop and go pilot is different from distronic plus. S&G acts during low speeds and my understanding is that it will follow the car in front of you by steering, and also start and stop without you having to touch the cruise control lever. Distronic requires you to push (or pull) the lever to reactivate distronic once you come to a complete stop
Old 08-05-14, 08:40 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if you can find any documentation within MBUSA that says "stop and go pilot"

stop and go pilot is different from distronic plus. S&G acts during low speeds and my understanding is that it will follow the car in front of you by steering, and also start and stop without you having to touch the cruise control lever. Distronic requires you to push (or pull) the lever to reactivate distronic once you come to a complete stop
Since I own a 2014 S550, I can tell you that "stop & go" in city traffic does really work by following the car in front of you. However, when it comes to a complete stop, one still needs to pull the lever for the S550 to move forward. I use Distronic and the "stop and go" features all the time and I love them.
Old 08-05-14, 10:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Pullman Pictures Leaked

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-2817795/
Old 08-06-14, 04:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Yeah the ability to accelerate again automatically wasn't included in the U.S. due to legal concerns. The steering element is enabled in U.S. vehicles.
Old 08-06-14, 11:31 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Classy meets nasty when it comes to this Renntech tuned Mercedes S63 AMG.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class