Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 05:59 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I lost track of your thread. Is the S63 the one you decided on?
Yes. I was seriously going to go with the S65, but the Benz dealer talked me out of it if you can believe that.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Didn't know you were getting one! How exciting. Can't wait to see pics.
Will post them up when it gets here. Still a long , long wait though.
Old 12-29-14, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Yes. I was seriously going to go with the S65, but the Benz dealer talked me out of it if you can believe that.

Will post them up when it gets here. Still a long , long wait though.
wow takes that long? or you ordered something special?

i can't wait to hear from you about the car!
Old 12-29-14, 11:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

Surprisingly long wait for the S sedan, locally, I saw an unsold S65 sittin in a dealership showroom, but the S class coupe right now is special order only here, and I was told an 8 -10 months wait .......
Old 12-29-14, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Surprisingly long wait for the S sedan, locally, I saw an unsold S65 sittin in a dealership showroom, but the S class coupe right now is special order only here, and I was told an 8 -10 months wait .......
agreed, i have seen a few s63 on the lot these days, and also a s65 for sale too. so my guess is dave is ordering something like designo?

the coupe though is very hot, it's also in shortage here.
Old 12-29-14, 04:05 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

agreed, i have seen a few s63 on the lot these days, and also a s65 for sale too. so my guess is dave is ordering something like designo?

the coupe though is very hot, it's also in shortage here.
Wow, you guys have it good. I had to go to the other side of Osaka to just test drive one (4 hours drive for me). They seem to be a car that is made to order here. And

But to answer your question, I ordered nothing special, just the drivers package as it is called here. It just adds a few driver enhancements and was about an extra $10K.

Old 12-29-14, 04:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

those are some heart pounding price tags! ouch!!!
Old 12-29-14, 05:36 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

those are some heart pounding price tags! ouch!!!
Yeah, they hit you real good over here. I never did understand why the huge price difference from the US to here.

There is only a $20-30K difference between the RR Ghost and the S63, the S65 is more expensive.
Old 12-29-14, 05:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, they hit you real good over here. I never did understand why the huge price difference from the US to here.

There is only a $20-30K difference between the RR Ghost and the S63, the S65 is more expensive.
Wow, who want a S65 over a Ghost?!
Old 12-29-14, 05:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Care to share why the dealer suggest you getting the 63 over the 65?

I thought it is easy to get a nice car in Japan, I guess I am wrong. Just saw a white S63 today on the freeway, many on the street here now.
Old 12-30-14, 01:28 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
I was considering a Ghost, but the AMG is just that much more fun to drive. And I was going to get a RR I would get a Phantom, but again that car does not appeal to me. On the other hand if I was looking for status I would get a RR.

Care to share why the dealer suggest you getting the 63 over the 65?
I thought it is easy to get a nice car in Japan, I guess I am wrong. Just saw a white S63 today on the freeway, many on the street here now.
The dealer rmarked on how much sportier the S63 and how there is not much difference in acceleration between the two. Also was and the fact that the S65 takes a dive when reselling. I am not one to flush cash down the toilet, so I went with the S63.

Easy, the RR Phantom is over $500K.
Old 12-30-14, 08:40 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would.

Personal opinion:
For me though, the Phantom is for OLD PEOPLE (e.g. Warren Buffet type) due to its very conservative styling. It's also more of a car to be driven or chauffeured.

Point being: If you want an RR that you yourself will drive, then get a Wraith.

Don't forget that you guys have annual registration taxes and I think there is a tax on the size of your vehicle. Also, the increase in consumption/sales tax (courtesy of 'Abenomics') from 5% to 8% (with a possibility to increase to 10%) may have some effect although I'm not sure as to how much.

Of course, another thing is import tax and customs fees (due to shipping and logistics).
Old 12-30-14, 10:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not driven a S65 but I have plenty of seat time in a Ghost. That car does not enjoy "impolite" maneuvers in the slightest. It's has a very soft suspension with plenty of body roll and generally doesn't like to be hustled. Once it takes a set it is stable through a corners though.

But that's not what a Rolls Royce is about- it's supposed to be a bit vulgar and supposed to be the definition of a luxury car. So for most people who drive themselves- the S65 (or Flying Spur) might seem like a better option.
Old 12-30-14, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am kind of thinking the same. between the s65 and s63, it's really not that much difference unless you care about out rocketing everyone above 100mph, which i assume isn't easy in japan. and given the huge price tag in japan, for the price if i want status i might as well do phantom.

i fully understand the status meaning of rr, but i am also not a big fan of it, a bit too old school and "boring" for me. i have driven the phantom, you are so isolated and the car is so heavy there is zero fun. yes you would probably like to be just being driven around in that

dave, i am also very surprised about the price tag of the mb s amg in japan, seems like they are just expensive for no reason, when they are touching the ghost price already
Old 12-30-14, 10:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I would.

Personal opinion:
For me though, the Phantom is for OLD PEOPLE (e.g. Warren Buffet type) due to its very conservative styling. It's also more of a car to be driven or chauffeured.

Point being: If you want an RR that you yourself will drive, then get a Wraith.
S class sedan is mostly for old people too maybe with some occasional exceptions , but I agree that you should be chauffeured in any RR sedan.

I would take a RR Wraith over the S65 coupe though, not because it's better or even as good a car, but because of exclusivity at that price range. The S65 just looks almost the same as the much cheaper S550 ......
Old 12-30-14, 10:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

i am also very surprised about the price tag of the mb s amg in japan, seems like they are just expensive for no reason, when they are touching the ghost price already
I think they are even more expensive in most S.E Asian countries and Australia, etc., due to taxes

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class