Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti plans new Flagship sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 02:39 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infiniti plans new Flagship sedan

Infiniti plans new flagship sedan

It will be above the Q50, the former M Class

Infiniti needs more luxury in its luxury cars, so it's going to make a new top-of-the-line sedan, the brand's chief has decided.

The new nameplate would be placed above its current best model, the Q70 that used to be called the M Clas, President Johan de Nysschen told Automotive News at the ceremony for start of production for a new model, the Q50, in Japan.

Infiniti wants to cover 90% of the global luxury market by the end of decade, up from 60% now. That will require new models, de Nysschen told the News.

With the new model and others like it will come more sales. He wants to more than triple sales to 600,000 by 2020, up from 170,000 a year now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...i-q70/2159845/

All I can say is it's about time
Old 05-15-13, 03:19 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally! Looking forward to what Inifniti comes out with if the Q50 is any indication. I guess it will be called the Q90 and will release a year or two after the next LS line and 7-series. I'm looking forward to another Japanese flagship added to this segment. The RLX just isn't cutting it...
Old 05-15-13, 04:54 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Hopefully its a better effort than the current M. It's sad how that model faded into the background so soon after its release. Full-on luxury isn't Infiniti's thing...at least so far.
Old 05-15-13, 06:38 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Hopefully its a better effort than the current M. It's sad how that model faded into the background so soon after its release. Full-on luxury isn't Infiniti's thing...at least so far.
Well, the problem with the M is that, from the outside, it looks to be the same size as a crossover. It's a gigantic car.

The M is too big which I think is the major reason why it's not chosen more often over its competitors.
Old 05-15-13, 06:56 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Infra
Well, the problem with the M is that, from the outside, it looks to be the same size as a crossover. It's a gigantic car.

The M is too big which I think is the major reason why it's not chosen more often over its competitors.
Don't think size is the issue. All 3 gens of the M have been larger than its competitors. The issue with the latest M is the poor styling. The car is forgettable.

I'm looking forward to the Q45 replacement. Hopefully it will have a nice mix of sport and luxury in line with previous generation Q45s.
Old 05-15-13, 07:04 AM
LexFather

Very odd since just recently they said it isn't coming and if anything comes it will not be positioned against the S/LS/7 etc but maybe a 4 door coupe or something different.

The fact of the matter is their current Flagship the M has been a sales disaster no different than the previous Q45. They need to fix that car first before attempting to sell above it since they can't even get sales in the midsize class.

Good luck selling a car above the M

Old 05-15-13, 07:16 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

So Infiniti is still wants to build a car that competes with the 5 series, GS, and ES? After being in the market for over 20 years, they never got it right.

The styling on their high end models were for the most part awkward. I'm expecting that trend to continue.

The car I'm looking forward to seeing is the replacement G37 coupe....who knows what the hell they are going to rename it.
Old 05-15-13, 07:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Well, with all the pressure Infiniti is under from Emperor Ghosntine and Darth Johan to elevate sales they seem to be really accelerating their product arrivals. I just hope they do it right while they're at it.
Old 05-15-13, 08:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

At first glance, I am excited to read this and very intrigued about the return of a flagship Q.

However, I look at Infiniti's current lineup and realize that a lot of work needs to be done to build up to demand and cache for something like a flagship sedan.

- The EX and FX need to be completely rethought, re-engineered and reintroduced. The EX has less interior space than a G and is impossible for any more than two people. The FX is just butt ugly and lost the edge that the last generation had.
- The Q50 and Q70 need a new V6. The old engine is...old, and still not particularly efficient. Also, it's not as refined as some rivals.
- They need to work on a small car under the Q50.
- Q70 is in sad shape and needs a heavy refresh and, as mentioned above, new engines.
- Hybrids

A revamp of the SUV lineup with EX as entry level, FX/JX as mid tier with different intentions, and QX as the top end would be great. The sedan lineup needs to be similarly updated to support a flagship.
Old 05-15-13, 09:00 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bruce van

The car I'm looking forward to seeing is the replacement G37 coupe....who knows what the hell they are going to rename it.
IIRC they said the coupe was gonna be the Q60.
Old 05-15-13, 09:05 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
Emperor Ghosntine and Darth Johan
Haha man that was hilarious

Anyways:
I am looking forward to the upcoming flagship model of Infiniti
Old 05-15-13, 10:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Damn, I was hoping they bring back a new Q45, not a stinking M as a flagship
Old 05-15-13, 10:54 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Damn, I was hoping they bring back a new Q45, not a stinking M as a flagship
Doesn't this say the new car would be placed above what is now known as the M?
Old 05-15-13, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Moderators: these two threads (maybe?) can be combined.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post7938565
Old 05-15-13, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti would be wise to do the following

Q50 - (G37)
Q60 - (G37 coupe/vert)
Q70 - (M37)
Q80 - (M sized coupe/vert)
Q90 - (Q flagship replacment)

Quick Reply: Infiniti plans new Flagship sedan