Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I leased one traded for a new 2014 ES350. ILX had great MPG and handled well but felt just a little to small and bad road noise. Love the new ES350
Definitely the new ES350 is more of a luxury-car, with less road-noise, than an ILX....that's a given. But, in my experience (and that of Consumer Reports), the new 6Gen ES is not as quiet or silky-riding as the old 5Gen was....and the 5Gen was not as smooth as the 4Gen.
Old 06-18-14, 09:07 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely the new ES350 is more of a luxury-car, with less road-noise, than an ILX....that's a given. But, in my experience (and that of Consumer Reports), the new 6Gen ES is not as quiet or silky-riding as the old 5Gen was....and the 5Gen was not as smooth as the 4Gen.
I've read that on this forum from many members that have owned these earlier models. I owned a 1992, nice car until the Lexus dealer at 90 k service for got to put oil in my car . At that time I also owned a 1994 LS, so the ES did not make that big of impression on me like my ES, wife's car . I really like my new ES350, looks, size, style, ride, rode noise level, comfort, economy and price are just what I wanted. Great forum, great members and great information sharing.
Old 06-18-14, 09:56 PM
LexFather

I've read that on this forum from many members that have owned these earlier models. I owned a 1992, nice car until the Lexus dealer at 90 k service for got to put oil in my car . At that time I also owned a 1994 LS, so the ES did not make that big of impression on me like my ES, wife's car . I really like my new ES350, looks, size, style, ride, rode noise level, comfort, economy and price are just what I wanted. Great forum, great members and great information sharing.
Your ES 350 is fabulous. take a lot here with a grain of salt.

Old 06-19-14, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've read that on this forum from many members that have owned these earlier models. I owned a 1992, nice car until the Lexus dealer at 90 k service for got to put oil in my car .
And you drove it that way? Wasn't the red oil light on? Or had the dealership already ruined the engine, with the light on, before you got there? (I'm not necessarily blaming you....the red light may have not been working either).

Sorry that had to happen to you. Hope the dealership made good on the mistake.
Old 06-19-14, 07:34 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

And you drove it that way? Wasn't the red oil light on? Or had the dealership already ruined the engine, with the light on, before you got there? (I'm not necessarily blaming you....the red light may have not been working either).

Sorry that had to happen to you. Hope the dealership made good on the mistake.
Long story short, yard jockey took my car from tech ran through car wash, dried it off and left it running in the return lane, I got into the car driving out into sun. Turned onto Peachtree road in Atlanta noticed the oil light was on. Had to circle the block to get back into dealership. Drove in service guy approached turned off engine opened hood, oil cap missing wrench sitting on top of engine and no oil visible on dip stick. Dealer gave me my money back for the 90k service and a written warranty from them that if my engine failed or smoked using excessive oil up until 150k miles they would replace my engine. At 125k miles I lived in Missouri. Engine started smoking in the morning until warmed up. I was ready for a new ride, took it to the local Lexus dealer after it was warmed up and traded. Figured Lexus deserved it back. looking back I should of kept driving onto the freeway and blown the engine. The dealer would have to replace and I would of had a new engine at 90k miles, my problem is I'm no that kind of guy.
Old 06-24-14, 03:43 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Post Acura ILX Recalled for Too-Hot Headlamps

Acura is recalling some 2013 and 2014 ILX and ILX Hybrid sedans for headlights that are too hot.

Under certain conditions, the headlamps do not allow sufficient heat dissipation when the vehicle is not in motion. Add engine heat and ambient summer heat, and the headlamps could cause damage to the reflector unit. In extreme conditions, the headlights may overheat and could cause smoke, melting or fire.
Source http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-hot-headlamps
Old 06-24-14, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Acura had a sales goal of 40k a year for a 25k-35k car and made what half of that? They cannot sell a car you can lease for under $200 a month. That says all we need to know.

Old 06-24-14, 09:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77

Acura is recalling some 2013 and 2014 ILX and ILX Hybrid sedans for headlights that are too hot.
Interesting, considering how energy-efficient today's headlights are, and how little heat they produce compared to those of decades ago.
Old 06-24-14, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
They cannot sell a car you can lease for under $200 a month. That says all we need to know.
I suspect that the company also just wants to be ultra-careful about losing money on leases. Nissan tried cheap leases a number of years ago, and, from higher-than-expected vehicle depreciation, lost a boatload of money when those cars were returned at the end of the lease-term. Of course, I agree you also have a point.......high depreciation often comes from low sales and low demand.

BMW, on the other hand, had some excellent lease deals going for awhile, but demand and good residual value for their vehicles, allowed them to do that and not lose money.
Old 06-24-14, 09:46 PM
LexFather

I suspect that the company also just wants to be ultra-careful about losing money on leases. Nissan tried cheap leases a number of years ago, and, from higher-than-expected vehicle depreciation, lost a boatload of money when those cars were returned at the end of the lease-term. Of course, I agree you also have a point.......high depreciation often comes from low sales and low demand.

BMW, on the other hand, had some excellent lease deals going for awhile, but demand and good residual value for their vehicles, allowed them to do that and not lose money.
No, it failed. Period. Meanwhile audi can't build enough A3s and Benz can't build enough CLA. Acura used to at least get the small fwd sedan thing right but not anymore. And the Germans have taken it and there will be no looking back.

Old 06-24-14, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Acura had a sales goal of 40k a year for a 25k-35k car and made what half of that? They cannot sell a car you can lease for under $200 a month. That says all we need to know.

Old 06-25-14, 06:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Acura used to at least get the small fwd sedan thing right but not anymore. And the Germans have taken it and there will be no looking back.
maybe so but I'm still not buying ANYTHING German without an extended warranty (like on my wife's A5, zero issues....so far @ 30K miles).
Old 06-25-14, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
maybe so but I'm still not buying ANYTHING German without an extended warranty (like on my wife's A5, zero issues....so far @ 30K miles).
So that means you will probably keep it for more than four years? Audi, BMW, and M-B all have 4/50 warranties on the whole car, including powertrain.
Old 06-25-14, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
There was a time when it was Japanese=Reliable and German= not reliable but that is no longer true. You would think the ILX would be pretty solid in quality being based on the older civic but it has quite a few issues.

We are talking new cars so an extended warranty means little until these cars are all older.

Old 06-25-14, 08:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So that means you will probably keep it for more than four years? Audi, BMW, and M-B all have 4/50 warranties on the whole car, including powertrain.
that's the plan!

There was a time when it was Japanese=Reliable and German= not reliable but that is no longer true.
its getting that way, you're right.