Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 10:32 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This car is such a pointless POS.
Old 04-19-13, 04:02 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
You have to applaud the consumer here, seems they are not quite that dumb as the internet says they are If anyone has even remotely inspected this car, its really a horrid effort and Buick is cleaning the floor with it with the Verano. It's like they aimed for the 1997 or so Infiniti G20 as the car to beat. Makes complete sense to not build a car that no one is buying if they can make money building Civic's instead which are selling.

And its far worse that 500 units shy a month, the goal was 40k a year which was 3,333 a month. They only hit I think 2k one or two months and never close to the goal.

Another disaster.
There's two things I give Honda credit for.

First, when a vehicle isn't selling they KNOW it isn't selling and wisely pull back on production. I don't think I've ever heard of any Honda product with well in excess of 90 days supply sitting around. I think all of their product managers ought to be fired, but they have some really friggin smart production managers.

Second, they're freaking geniuses at marketing spin and revisionist history and "revising" their sales forecasts, such that when a particular vehicle is selling well below what they expected they always seem to be able to spin it or revise the numbers to make it look like it was part of the plan all along or that it's still meeting expectations. LOL
Old 04-19-13, 04:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

kinda dumb to buy one when the Honda Accord is way better for the price
Old 04-19-13, 05:32 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
kinda dumb to buy one when the Honda Accord is way better for the price
I totally concur. I just talk my ex into purchasing a new accord. The ILX is such a waste of money. What was Acura thinking. As far as the Buick Verano, as I have mention before I love the car interior. I was very surpise the first time I road in one.
Old 04-19-13, 08:16 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MX5
I like the Verano, but they are wayyyy too proud of them for being just a "big block" Cruze. I looked at new ones before buying my used GS and not-that-well-equipped Veranos sticker for friggin 30 Grand! Years from now my GS will still have some value, while a several year old Verano will no doubt have residuals that recall the Skyhawk....
You're not seriously comparing the a Lexus GS to verano right? Your GS would cost double the Verano to buy new.
Old 04-19-13, 08:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ready for the show

Oh,ILX is ridiculous..
Old 04-19-13, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Acura built just 91 examples of the ILX last month, here's why
Here's why:

Old 04-19-13, 11:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's why:

That one doesn't happen to be yours does it Mike?!
Old 04-19-13, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That one doesn't happen to be yours does it Mike?!
Nope. Mine's the Crystal-Red Tintcoat Pearl...with aftermarket (MM-applied) chrome body-side mouldings that GM was too cheap to put on at the factory. That Pearl White, though, would have been my second choice.

BTW, though, it bears note that, with the exception of the classic Buick Bronze/Brown, the ILX's color-choice is almost exactly the same as the Verano's...especially since the Verano added a bright blue when the Turbo model debuted for 2013. So, we know that it isn't just color that is holding up ILX sales.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-13 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-19-13, 01:20 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Nope. Mine's the Crystal-Red Tintcoat Pearl...with aftermarket (MM-applied) chrome body-side mouldings that GM was too cheap to put on at the factory. That Pearl White, though, would have been my second choice.
That pic is summit white, same color as our Cruze LTZ. White diamond tricoat has an off whitish effect to it, and costs 900$ more. The really hot color is thunder grey chromaflair on the ATS. That's a sharp color.
Old 04-19-13, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrraider
That pic is summit white, same color as our Cruze LTZ.
Yeah...I was just posting white in general.

White diamond tricoat has an off whitish effect to it, and costs 900$ more.
Actually, $1000 more ($995 per the Buick web site).

The really hot color is thunder grey chromaflair on the ATS. That's a sharp color.
Meh. I respect your opinion, but find most gray hues to be about as exciting as Lindsay Lohan without her make-up.

I do, however, like the medium Titanium Gray metallic (a color offered neither by the ILX or Verano). It can be stunning if the metallic-effect is done right.
Old 04-19-13, 03:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

BTW, though, it bears note that, with the exception of the classic Buick Bronze/Brown, the ILX's color-choice is almost exactly the same as the Verano's...especially since the Verano added a bright blue when the Turbo model debuted for 2013. So, we know that it isn't just color that is holding up ILX sales.
ILX along with the rest of the line-up need more excitement. I really think they should resurrect Type-S. Give the ILX SH-AWD and that turbo 2.3. It may not fix the problem, but it would sure help.
Old 04-19-13, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

ILX along with the rest of the line-up need more excitement.
Excitement or refinement? Don't forget, it's in the area of NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) where the Verano (as someone else put it) is mopping the floor with the ILX. A firm, noisy ride is one of the main things dragging down ILX sales, not necessarily a lack of power or handling.

I really think they should resurrect Type-S. Give the ILX SH-AWD and that turbo 2.3. It may not fix the problem, but it would sure help.
Agreed that the SH-AWD would be a nice move. Acura doesn't normally sell AWD with four-bangers, though they did made an exception for the previous-generation RDX and its turbo, and, I guess, could also for the ILX.

As far as the Type S goes, one could argue that the American-market Type-S versions, BTW, when they were in production, didn't have the power or handling of today's regular TL. But, of course, the TL's current tyling turns a lot of people off....including me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-19-13, 07:56 PM
bagyo
Driver

The civic with fancy pants LoL
Old 04-19-13, 08:32 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrraider
You're not seriously comparing the a Lexus GS to verano right? Your GS would cost double the Verano to buy new.
Of course I'm not saying they are comparable. What I'm saying is a $20k used GS represents far more value than a $30k new tiny Buick. Agree?

Quick Reply: Acura ILX