Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 08:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The interior makes me VERY dizzy. It looks crooked and wavy and just totally fks with you when you look at it.

The exterior is alright looking, but it looks very lazy, almost like they just took some ZDK taillights and headlights and slapped them on there.

Why does Acura even need this car to begin with? The TSX is small enough.
Old 02-09-12, 09:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

ILK = ILL

10char
Old 02-10-12, 03:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The interior makes me VERY dizzy. It looks crooked and wavy and just totally fks with you when you look at it.

The exterior is alright looking, but it looks very lazy, almost like they just took some ZDK taillights and headlights and slapped them on there.

Why does Acura even need this car to begin with? The TSX is small enough.
they need this car because dealers are not getting enough volume... it does look like spiced up civic, they didnt manage to make it look expensive overall.
Old 02-10-12, 06:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wonder why they called it ILX? Same thing goes for TSX.

RL, TL...sedans are something-L.

RDX, MDX...suvs are something-DX.

It makes it seem like -LX or -SX is some other line of vehicles.

Whatever...naming is the least of Acura's problems.
Old 02-10-12, 08:06 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is this an April Fools joke?
201hp from Civic Si...Acura TSX had that 8 years ago
150hp volume model gets 24/32 MPG? That cannot be correct.
111hp hybrid? That gets Mid 35 MPG? When everyone else has jumped to the 40s?

Looks like a last gen Mazda 3 with a beak. Built in Ohio to boot.

And Paul, now that is serious wheel gap

I cannot believe this is their plan for success and this replaces the TSX. Talk about setting the bar low.

well, that's Honda for ya my friend. they made a big deal when they launch the 6 speed auto in some lineups a year ago, when most competitors were already had them for years.
Old 02-12-12, 01:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think it is a nice looking car inside an out, the styling turned out better then I thought. The engines it will originally feature are a bit disappointing but if they tune it right it could still be a decent little car. This car is not starting at 35K or 40K or even 30K , it is something very entry level more or less between the original TSX and the Integra/RSX so expecting something really nice or exhilarating at its price range is a bit unrealistic. It is going to get better newer more efficient power trains in a year or two but will have to make do with older carryover engines for now.

Those disappointing engines will still most likely be suitable for most of the buying public at its price especially these days though I don't see the hybrid as being a big seller at all with those specs. Everyone is downsiing on engines or power these days to meet regulations, performance often takes a back seat now.

It really depends on how it is tuned, its price, and how it drives if it will be a success or not.

Honda is saying it is not a replacement for the TSX as of right now, they will see how they sell together. If this car eats up TSX sales in significant numbers then the TSX most likely will be dropped which is unfortunate, I saw two new ones last night when out to eat, it is a really good looking car.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,1556442.story
Attached Thumbnails Acura ILX-ilx-20l-interior.jpg   Acura ILX-ilx-int.jpg   Acura ILX-ilx_cas-14.jpg   Acura ILX-ilx_pr-01.jpg  
Old 02-12-12, 06:05 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if the engines were tuned right it's the simple fact that over half of the non premium compacts on the market have a more powerful and/or more fuel efficient engine lineup. Also it can't be said that the ILX will be a heavier vehicle because it's based on one of the lightest compact platforms on the market. It should weigh no more than 2900-3000 lbs. The real sad thing is that cars like the Cruze, Focus and Jetta all weigh well above 3000 lbs yet all three vehicles can get 40 mpg hwy.
Old 02-13-12, 12:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just a failure on so many levels. It's quite sad what Acura has become, or is moving towards.

Just look at the door handles and just how low they're mounted. Hideous.
Old 02-14-12, 10:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just a failure on so many levels. It's quite sad what Acura has become, or is moving towards.

Just look at the door handles and just how low they're mounted. Hideous.
It is a pathetic attempt.
The 1986 Integra had 113hp. The 2012 ILX hybrid has 111hp. Advance! If this is what generation Y wants, I say Y drive and Y live? Again Hyundai wouldn't release this as a new car nor GM, Chrysler or anyone else. Acura still thinks leather (if this even offers real leather) and HIDs and optional NAV is a luxury car. They are beyond clueless. This is as unimpressive as I find the Buick Verano to be. But at least I'm still not surprised by Buick (and said they should avoid this segment). Acura has completely gone backward with this car, back to 1986.

Yes "COCAINE is a HELLVA drug".

Here are real world photos not stylized press photos. The usually front heavy FWD leaning front matched with ZDX rear hunch and no exhaut pipes.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-14-12 at 10:13 PM.

Old 02-15-12, 12:06 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

who thought that cut-off rear was a good idea?
Old 02-15-12, 12:31 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey that interior is from a Honda not an Acura.
Old 02-15-12, 02:55 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

If someone told me that was a 1999 model Acura, I would've believed them. It already looks outdated.
Old 02-15-12, 03:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they can price this under 25K than it would be a winner saleswise. It will all come down to pricing.
Old 02-15-12, 04:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raptor22
who thought that cut-off rear was a good idea?
Certainly not GM who thought the Sonic sedan's rear was too short and lengthened it to give better proportions. I guess Acura was trying for a "short trunk, long hood" sport sedan look?
Old 02-16-12, 07:31 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda has been absolutely destroying their vehicles. Maybe the FR-S will make Honda open their squinty little eyes.

Quick Reply: Acura ILX