Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Old 12-15-11, 01:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never consider Acura as Tier 1 company. They had NSX but now all of the cars they produce is FWD or FWD based AWD. They don't even have a RWD sedan or flagship sedan to compete with any Tier 1 auto companies. No, RL doesn't cut it.
Old 12-15-11, 01:40 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
More excuses and saving Acura. Acura is going downmarket only. Everyone else has gone downmarket AND upmarket.

BTW you missed out Lexus. B/C Honda's CEO and Honda just said they will not and cannot compete against
Mercedes
BMW
Lexus

Don't leave Lexus out b/c it hurts feelings. They said it.

Here since you read selectively.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/11/08...-not-top-tier/

lol

1sick=completely right the last 11 years
oppponants of 1sickism=completely wrong the last 11 years

I'd actually argue that aside from making public comments, or the rumors that popped up every now an then, Acura never really persued a "tier 1" title.

And looking back, nothing about their concepts said "tier 1" either.

Acura might have talked about it, and really wanted it, but they never actually did anything to make it happen.

That's what makes it sad. They didn't try and fail, they just never tried at all.
Old 01-09-12, 05:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Acura ILX Concept ushers in era of entry-level luxury

Acura ILX Concept ushers in era of entry-level luxury

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/acura...photo-4730876/

It's no secret that Acura has had a rough couple of years. After an extremely successful launch in the late 1980s, Honda's luxury marque truly hit high gear in the mid 2000s with such successful models as the TL sedan and MDX crossover. And then things went south with a fury that sent the automaker reeling into regroup mode.

The brand's stumbling blocks were many and diverse – from the styling of the redesigned 2009 TL and TSX, which we'll charitably describe as divisive, to the scrapped plans for a V8-powered rear-wheel-drive RL replacement – but the net result was a precipitous drop in sales. Clearly, a new strategy was in order.

Enter the upcoming ILX sedan. While Acura isn't calling its new compact luxury sedan a replacement for the TSX, we're inclined to think the automaker doesn't need four sedans, and the TSX is within spitting distance size-wise to its higher-priced sibling. Don't be fooled by the 'concept' label, either – the ILX will be coming to a showroom near you in the spring of 2012 almost exactly as you see it here.

As you can see, the ILX is a mix of bold creases and flat surfaces, and it's what we'd consider a much-toned-down version of Acura's previous styling direction. Let's all be thankful of that. There's a shield-shaped grille up front, but it's not nearly as prominently displayed as on models like the TL and TSX, instead blending in more seamlessly with the rest of the car's overall design. Also note the boldly upswept character line highlighting the rear doors and quarters.

Three powertrain options will be available: a base 2.0-liter four cylinder mated to an automatic gearbox, a 2.4-liter four with an exclusive six-speed manual transmission and, finally, Acura's first hybrid drivetrain, which will be very similar to the one seen in the Honda Civic Hybrid. Expect a 1.5-liter engine with Honda's well-known IMA electric motor assist and a CVT transmission.

The Acura ILX is based on the same platform that underpins the Honda Civic, but, having seen the ILX sedan in person, we can tell you it doesn't share any styling features with Honda's compact. And that is a very good thing, as Acura needs its ILX to be seen as a premium product. To that end, there will be a number of high-tech options inside, including a Technology Package, Pandora internet radio and integrated text messaging functionality.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/a...-detroit-2012/
Old 01-09-12, 06:49 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it, from every angle....just want more engine with my manual transmission.
Old 01-09-12, 06:53 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

The front resembles the third generation TL. This is what the fourth generation TL should have looked like when it was redesigned in 2009.
Old 01-09-12, 07:09 PM
LexFather

The Cruze based Buick Verano will battle this Civic based car head on. Both made in America too. The hybrid version may interest some people interested in the CT. Acura will finally have a hybrid.

Its a much better job than the old Acura El and Acura CSX rebadges.

And its sub entry level luxury. The new Caddy ATS is a real entry level luxury car.

Old 01-09-12, 07:20 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This should have been the continuation of design language after previous gen TL. It flows very nice, beak is not that prominent. Nothing spectacular but feels right just like previous TL.
Old 01-09-12, 07:29 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

A surprisingly good design from Acura. The corporate grill is even done right here.

I wonder if the TSX will live on when the production version of this arrives. It seems like a bit of overlap, but I wouldn't mind both of them in the lineup.
Old 01-09-12, 07:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
A surprisingly good design from Acura. The corporate grill is even done right here.

I wonder if the TSX will live on when the production version of this arrives. It seems like a bit of overlap, but I wouldn't mind both of them in the lineup.
The TSX is rumored to be going away unfortunately. The next TL is supposed to be a little smaller also.

I think the ILX is a nice looking design but it needs more power. The 2.4 liter engine should also be offered with a auto or upcoming CVT instead of just a manual.
Old 01-10-12, 12:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Not feeling any luxury or sport here. What's up with the kicked up Dodge Charger character line? The Mazda 3 sedan d-pillar? The hatchback appearance and lack of trunk?
About the only nice touch I see is the back view looks like the 2IS, but even that's a 2006 styling theme.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-10-12 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-10-12, 12:19 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Uhh...isnt anyone getting an instant 2IS look from the rear and side profile?

Last edited by RXSF; 01-10-12 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-10-12, 12:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think we posted at the same time! lol
Old 01-10-12, 03:42 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And its sub entry level luxury. The new Caddy ATS is a real entry level luxury car.
if the ats is priced like a 3 series, then i would consider that entry level luxury for the 1%
Old 01-10-12, 03:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I was worried about the beak before I opened this thread but it's not too bad, it does remind me of a 3G TL which is my daily.
Old 01-10-12, 04:14 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

Yes which is probably why I was thinking it was a pretty good looking car for Acura.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura ILX