Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 03:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Mike is going to love this one :-)
First thought I had too.
Old 12-11-12, 05:14 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fighting with 1 Series and CT200h, how? Those cars are not in the same class.

I find that TSX is a much better car. I don't know why investors let monkeys make decision at Honda. While ILX is not bad, I don't see it anywhere as good as TSX.
Old 12-11-12, 06:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

TSX is a good car. I would buy one if I was shopping for an Acura. I've only seen the ILX once, and didn't care for it.

It took Acura executives how long to figure out the 2.0L was gutless? Everyone knew that was the case was before the car was launched. Bean-counters
Old 12-11-12, 06:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Launching any car in this economy is difficult, but it becomes even more so when they don't give the customers what they want and when they ignore the competition around them.

My impression of Acura is that I can see it soaring, just that close to being able to get it right, someone lets the air out of the balloon, especially with poor powertrains.

Another thing that irks me is they don't separate themselves as much from their Honda parent.

I have heard so many times, "Am I getting a TSX or a rebadged Civic?"
Old 12-11-12, 06:53 AM
LexFather

I think anyone with 1/100h of a brain saw this coming so not surprised at all. It is a terrible car for the money, it is overpriced, not great looking and simply offers nothing better than their own Accord or the old TSX for the same money. Its clearly aimed at their fans who will buy anything they sell but it seems even they have wised up and not bought this awful offering. Buick got it right, they didn't, which shows how lost they are.

And they are trying to save face saying the sales target is 30k. When the car was launched they said the sales goal was 40k for the ILX and 30k for the RDX. The RDX will sell, its a SUV, most all SUVs sell since that isn't very good either.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ectations.html

If the originally projected 40,000 units turn up late for the party, Sullivan guesses Honda can easily sidestep the issue by shifting to produce more Civics.
New powertrains won't help either. The car is a complete dud with not one outstanding feature. The hybrid is a complete joke, a whopping 111hp and gets you around 37 mpg. A huge Avalon gives you 200hp, far more features, looks, size, etc and gets your 40 MPG.

At SEMA, they brought like 2 or 3 ILXs and the stand was dead. There was no interest. In the car scene no one is buying an ILX to modify. Its dead on arrival.
Originally Posted by cino

The RLX will share the same if not worse fate.

I find that TSX is a much better car. I don't know why investors let monkeys make decision at Honda. While ILX is not bad, I don't see it anywhere as good as TSX.
Exactly. The CT and A3 are far superior, cost more and are not its competition.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-11-12 at 06:56 AM.

Old 12-11-12, 07:01 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Acura remains an SUV luxury car company. Their sedans??? They need to fire everyone and start over.
Old 12-11-12, 07:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I think anyone with 1/100h of a brain saw this coming so not surprised at all. It is a terrible car for the money, it is overpriced, not great looking and simply offers nothing better than their own Accord or the old TSX for the same money. Its clearly aimed at their fans who will buy anything they sell but it seems even they have wised up and not bought this awful offering. Buick got it right, they didn't, which shows how lost they are.

And they are trying to save face saying the sales target is 30k. When the car was launched they said the sales goal was 40k for the ILX and 30k for the RDX. The RDX will sell, its a SUV, most all SUVs sell since that isn't very good either.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ectations.html

New powertrains won't help either. The car is a complete dud with not one outstanding feature. The hybrid is a complete joke, a whopping 111hp and gets you around 37 mpg. A huge Avalon gives you 200hp, far more features, looks, size, etc and gets your 40 MPG.

At SEMA, they brought like 2 or 3 ILXs and the stand was dead. There was no interest. In the car scene no one is buying an ILX to modify. Its dead on arrival.

Exactly. The CT and A3 are far superior, cost more and are not its competition.

Gee ,you are softening up a bit on Honda/Acura. You were pretty gentle here.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-11-12 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 07:06 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is Mike? I take the Kia over that thing haha
Old 12-11-12, 07:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Gee ,you are softening up a bit on Honda/Acura. You were pretty gentle here.
Its the X-mas season...and I had a killer breakfast...and life is really amazing right now

Originally Posted by EthanV
Where is Mike? I take the Kia over that thing haha
And thats the thing. The Optima is far superior. I can't even figure out why the ILX costs more than a new Forte or Elantra. The new Accord is really well done and FAR superior for the price, hell the Accord has features not found in other Acura's.

Old 12-11-12, 07:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Its the X-mas season...and I had a killer breakfast...and life is really amazing right now

I knew something was up!
Old 12-11-12, 10:31 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Nice to see the Verano turbo doing well.
Old 12-11-12, 11:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the styling is weak and the power sucks. They created this car for younger buyers. They didnt think that younger buyers want more style and power. Its great to offer an economical option but there needs to be an option for more power. I am surprised that Acura has had so many failures in a row. They keep making changes to their lineup that have not brought a lot of attention to the brand.
Old 12-11-12, 12:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, you can't even get navigation on the 2.4 6M version. This car needs a firmer suspension, tech, SH-AWD, and a turbo. Brand it a Type-S.

Acura is one of those brands that I would love to set in the right direction
Old 12-11-12, 01:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
true.

agree!

agreed!

The RDX will sell, its a SUV, most all SUVs sell since that isn't very good either.
the rdx, while not ground-breaking either, is a refined package that isn't priced badly.

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Acura remains an SUV luxury car company. Their sedans??? They need to fire everyone and start over.
agreed!!!! they're just pretty lost...
Old 12-11-12, 03:14 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
TSX is a good car. I would buy one if I was shopping for an Acura. I've only seen the ILX once, and didn't care for it.

It took Acura executives how long to figure out the 2.0L was gutless? Everyone knew that was the case was before the car was launched. Bean-counters
yep, only the TSX and MDX wore the beak pretty well

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If I'm not mistaken, you can't even get navigation on the 2.4 6M version.
Que??? for real???

Even the civic (EX) have navigation

Quick Reply: Acura ILX