Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Volt will soon be available for up to $10,000 less

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 12:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

no surprise they dropped them 10K. They couldnt move them to save their lives. I still never see them on the road.
Old 05-13-13, 12:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my dad got one of these for 24k. It was an 2012 model still sitting on the lot so a huge discount from that and the incentives and credits. I still wouldnt drive one though. I could feel it sucking tax payer dollars when I drove it around
Old 05-13-13, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Mike --- I live in an area where electricity is deregulated, over 40 different electricity providers sell 100% renewable (wind/solar/etc.)...and most don't cost any more than traditional coal or gas fired.
Yes, competition usually does help keep prices down....wish we had more of it here. And, where you are in Houston, where big storms can come in from the Gulf and cause massive power-outages, it doesn't hurt to have a varied grid system, either, as a back-up.
Old 05-13-13, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
my dad got one of these for 24k. It was an 2012 model still sitting on the lot so a huge discount from that and the incentives and credits.
So much for the ADM's (Additional Dealer Markup). That huge demand they anticipated at the Chevy shops just didn't materialize. I'm still surprised your dad got one for only 24K, though...was it a demo, with several thousand miles on it? That usually means some depreciation before it goes out the door. If it was a brand-new one, that was a good price, considering the advanced electronics you get with it.

BTW.....Congratulations to your dad on his purchase. Even on a vehicle whose purchase I don't necessarily recommend, most people work hard for their money, and I always believe in respecting that person's decision and wishing them the best.

I still wouldnt drive one though.
So that silly dash/console/shifter design gets to you, too?

I could feel it sucking tax payer dollars when I drove it around
You would probably feel even more taxpayer-dollars with it if you were driving it alone in an HOV or toll-lane, free of charge, knowing that many other taxpayers were probably subsidizing the priviledges and gridlock-avoidance that hybrids often get in those express-lanes, without the need for the usual multiple-occupants in the car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-13 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 08:33 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Volt is technologically interesting. I don't think its interior accoutrements belong in a $40,000 vehicle, however. I'd consider one if only for the reason that I could skip filling up at the fuel station more often. My commute is short enough that it could be accomplished using the battery power alone.