Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 05:31 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
A fully optioned F350, btw, can go over $70k on the sticker. You can usually negotiate that down into the 60s or even 50s, depending on the time of year.
Dang, you beat me to it. Was about to post some of those sticker prices of the heavy duty trucks. Those things are insanely expensive for trucks. Talking LS/A8/7 base price money!

But you would never expect that seeing all the dirt/grime on them. Even down here in Houston, people dont seem to take care of their trucks, lest it's an EXT or Mark LT.

The 2014 Silverado really does look a lot like its outgoing brother. The interior is at least better than those green gauges of the past. Speaking of fuel efficiency, I wonder when the half tons will start providing 4 cylinder options.
Originally Posted by ARTICLE
When the new Silverado first bowed at this year's Detroit Auto Show, the truck faced a chorus of moans. Critics said the design simply wasn't revolutionary enough to carry the machine forward, but park it beside its forebear and the changes immediately present themselves as substantial.
Does anyone HAVE any comparison pics?
Old 05-10-13, 06:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Does anyone HAVE any comparison pics?
2006:

2007:

2014:
Old 05-10-13, 08:28 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, with those pics side by side (or top by bottom?), the difference between the new and outgoing are very obvious.

New one is much more masculine with boxy shapes; comparatively the outgoing model looks more curvy and soft.

I wish i hadn't asked for comparison pics, now i wont ever look at the 2007-2013 Silverados the same anymore... lol
Old 05-11-13, 12:26 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Those double stacked headlights are killing it. Chevy El Camino styling in 2014.
Old 05-11-13, 08:04 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gmc.com has a side by side up a while ago, you could def see what they changed.....

waiting to see what the 2014 denali looks like
Old 05-11-13, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
50k for a truck! That's insane.
50K (or even more) is rather common now for full-size, top-line trucks like the Ford F-150 King Ranch and Dodge Ram Longhorn.
Old 05-11-13, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A nice job on the new Silverado's exterior, especially with the split-bar grille and gold bow tie emblem (features I've always liked).

I can't fully-comment directly on the interior until I've seen it and sat in it, but, just from the images, I agree with the article that the newer Dodge Rams outdo it in interior plushness. One thing I do like inside, though, as with other full-size trucks, is the complete set of engine gauges (voltmeter, coolant-temperature, oil-pressure, oil-temperature, etc...) instead of idiot lights. I'm a firm believer in gauges, and think that they should be standard in all vehicles, not just trucks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-11-13, 09:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall;7932365 One thing I [B
do[/B] like inside, though,as with other full-size trucks, is the complete set of engine gauges (voltmeter, coolant-temperature, oil-pressure, oil-temperature, etc...) instead of idiot lights. I'm a firm believer in gauges, and think that they should be standard in all vehicles, not just trucks.
Amen to that. The oil pressure gauge saved my engine in my 89 Firebird.
Old 05-11-13, 11:04 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrraider
50k for a truck! That's insane.
No, $50k for a fully loaded, top of the line (Z71 *and* LTZ pkgs) truck. It's not what anyone is gonna buy if all they need is a truck to do truck stuff. Open up a sunday paper and you will see you can buy full size Chevy trucks for well under $20k if you just need a truck.
Old 05-11-13, 11:11 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5
No, $50k for a fully loaded, top of the line (Z71 *and* LTZ pkgs) truck. It's not what anyone is gonna buy if all they need is a truck to do truck stuff. Open up a sunday paper and you will see you can buy full size Chevy trucks for well under $20k if you just need a truck.
However, lots of people WILL buy this truck.....but mostly as a luxury car.
Old 05-11-13, 11:20 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vladi
This is 2014? I swear to god I saw this in 2001 or something
Not really sure how you can see that, when even my '09 Suburban doesn't look anything like my previous '05 Suburban. Major leaps forward in pretty much every regard, and I had three of the previous version Suburbans and even THEY were fantastic vehicles.

I think most of you are being a little tough on GM here, I mean there's only so much you can do with basic pickup truck design. Cars, yeah, there's a million different ways to go, but really how crazy do you expect them to get with styling a truck? Go too nuts and you turn people off.

Personally I think a truck needs to be functional first, with "tough" styling coming in somewhere down the list. Dodge has had it the past few years, and I say these new Chevys have it as well, without being ripoffs of the Dodge. I think recent Fords are just stupid looking, they hold no interest for me at all. And before you just assume I'm a Ford hater, I bought a Ford F150 STX brand new in 2005.
Old 05-11-13, 11:27 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
However, lots of people WILL buy this truck.....but mostly as a luxury car.
Oh hell yeah - totally agree. But they sell a bunch at both ends of the spectrum. They just blend into the background but if you pay attention how many plain white pickups with black bumpers and gray steel wheels are out there, you realize why they are such a cash cow for the MFRs.
Old 05-11-13, 11:31 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Speaking of fuel efficiency, I wonder when the half tons will start providing 4 cylinder options.
Already do - my Suburban cuts down to 4 cyl when appropriate.
Old 05-11-13, 12:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like the same thing they've been selling for the past 6 years. Yawn.
Old 05-13-13, 07:08 AM
LexFather

Saw this article and thought of some of you in this thread

http://blog.caranddriver.com/why-gm-...do-and-sierra/

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado