Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's car-buff president makes Lexus his pet project

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 02:15 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I don't know, I kind of disagree (I know...why am I disagreeing with Toyoda?), Lexus does have a story.

The original LS400 coming in and taking the market by surprise, and Lexus' pursuit of perfection and their legendary customer service. Lexus wasn't delivered by a magical stork but it still has a decent origin story.
I think you forgot another big part of the story, the ownership experience 5, 10, 15, 20 years down the road. Lexus for me stands for reliable and durable cars that you own for years and hundreds of thousands of miles. Not something you trade in when the warranty expires.

Its a real luxury to have a beautifully made car that isn't in the shop all the time, and when it does require service, the costs are comparable to your regular Toyota.
Old 05-07-13, 06:27 AM
LexFather

Well there is cultural differences and while German Marques brag on their history its not in Japanese culture to so that. We all can agree what Lexus has done in 25 years is remarkable.

I don't think he is abandoning quality etc, he's just putting passion and his gut instinct ahead for a change. We all know how slow and methodical Lexus moves which usually does create a hit product but hey can't continue this way, times have changed.

Old 05-07-13, 10:01 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus has in the past talked about how it's the most profitable brand.

Well, IRR is great and all, but if the chips are small then business has very little growth. Volume of money is often times a much better metric of success.

My point is, I'd like to see Lexus enter niches that traditionally would not meet their IRR targets as a means to grow their brand. At some point, any product must start taking market share from existing players, and right now Lexus doesn't fit enough people's criteria when BMW, Audi, & MB sell a vehicle for just about any and every occasion/preference, and continue to add products in between what little gaps remain in their line-ups.
Old 05-07-13, 10:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Lexus has in the past talked about how it's the most profitable brand.

Well, IRR is great and all, but if the chips are small then business has very little growth. Volume of money is often times a much better metric of success.

My point is, I'd like to see Lexus enter niches that traditionally would not meet their IRR targets as a means to grow their brand. At some point, any product must start taking market share from existing players, and right now Lexus doesn't fit enough people's criteria when BMW, Audi, & MB sell a vehicle for just about any and every occasion/preference, and continue to add products in between what little gaps remain in their line-ups.
problem is that MB and Benz need to grow in order to stay alive in the future, where volumes matter... Lexus does not need to grow at any cost... Lexus's mission in Toyota portfolio is to be profitable - for everything else they have Toyota's that sell 9 million per year.
Old 05-07-13, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am pretty excited at how toyoda is taking this role and putting his passion in. this is how you drive a brand in a different direction
Old 05-07-13, 12:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
This year, worldwide sales should top 500,000 -- just shy of their all-time high of 518,300 in 2007, said Mark Templin, executive vice president of Lexus International.

In the United States, sales peaked at 329,177 in 2007, capping 12 straight years of growth. They slid in three of the five years since, with the only increases being a 6 percent gain in 2010 and a 23 percent rise, to 244,166, last year. Templin aims to surpass 260,000 in 2013.
This sales # trend make perfect sense, as in my opinion Lexus products are not great at all from 2007~2011, this sales # trend reflect that.

Good to hear this news, as Lexus is still my favorite brand, I was disappointed from 2007 and on, but knew they will come back as the best
Old 05-07-13, 04:41 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
problem is that MB and Benz need to grow in order to stay alive in the future, where volumes matter... Lexus does not need to grow at any cost... Lexus's mission in Toyota portfolio is to be profitable - for everything else they have Toyota's that sell 9 million per year.
And that's exactly the bean counter mentality that Akio is trying to get away from. This all-about-profit mentality you're trying to defend is what has stopped Lexus from growing further as a premium brand and Akio knows that. It's the Toyota brand's mission to be profittable, while the Lexus brand's mission should be to provide a halo for the company. Lexus needs to offer more expressive and individualized options, trim levels and variants in their premium models in order to be seen to be more premium and less cookie cutter. We're not talking about models that are covered by the "9 million per year" Toyota-branded cookie cutter units they sell, but actual premium vehicles that fit into individual tastes. Give people the options and variants they want and they'll pay a premium for them and view the brand as a more premium one. This is the one thing that Lexus trails the Germans by a huge margin and I'm sure Akio's right brain already sees that. He just needs to overcome the old-school guys within Toyota.

Last edited by ydooby; 05-07-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
And that's exactly the bean counter mentality that Akio is trying to get away from. That all-for-profit mentality is what has stopped Lexus from growing further as a premium brand and Akio knows that. Lexus needs to offer more expressive and individualized options, trim levels and variants in their premium models in order to be seen to be more premium and less cookie cutter. We're not talking about models that are covered by the "9 million per year" Toyota-branded cookie cutter units they sell, but actual premium vehicles that fit into individual tastes. Give people the options and variants they want and they'll pay a premium for them and view the brand as a more premium one. This is the one thing that Lexus trails the Germans by a huge margin and I'm Akio's right brain already sees that.
Well said. What you build on the Lexus website you essentially can't get on the lot. And shipping these cars via region East or West really puts a hamper on folks including myself. I'd like a GS with HUD, but there are none here.

Like I've mentioned before, BMW and Porsche excel at offering customization and all options. If you advertise something like HUD or a night view camera, I WANT IT! Duh Lexus.
Old 05-07-13, 05:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

This all-about-profit mentality you're trying to defend is what has stopped Lexus from growing further as a premium brand
well it is all about profit while delivering best cars and service possible of course... but yeah, thats how it works. They are not chasing volumes.

Most worldwide growth in premium brands, including BMW, MB and Audi, came from cheap models. I have been in A1 recently and if it had Toyota badge, Europeans would laugh how bad it is. Same goes with many of their other models, basically everything under $50-$60k might not even be called luxury, and this is what they sell most world wide.

Problem with Lexus and customization's is TPS, nothing else. It is very thing that makes Toyota tick. Plus the fact that you cant really do non-refundable deposit in the US. This is why Europe gets so many different options while US doesnt.

So I doubt Lexus would grow if they offer USB on 3IS, or optional leather... but they will grow if they deliver more cheaper cars... Yaris based and more... basically every Toyota a Lexus would be thing to do if they are following ze Germans.
Old 05-07-13, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

and also, lets not forget that they are making big advances when it comes to options... for instance, we all complained about interior colors before GS came out... now we have really nice interior options such as tan or red... even classic colors are different... Then we have F-Sport models which get quite different look and feel. there are many examples like that.

In some European countries, you can get 3IS in 18 different option configurations... BUT, you have to leave non refundable deposit (usually 10% of purchase price), and wait up to 4 months, courtesy of TPS. Neither of which would work in the US.

I am sure if they offered turbo's, superchargers, diesels, V8's, 500 options, we would all find something to complain about. As soon as one of the complains get eliminated, someone finds something else and ignores all the progress.
Old 05-07-13, 05:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well said. What you build on the Lexus website you essentially can't get on the lot. And shipping these cars via region East or West really puts a hamper on folks including myself. I'd like a GS with HUD, but there are none here.

Like I've mentioned before, BMW and Porsche excel at offering customization and all options. If you advertise something like HUD or a night view camera, I WANT IT! Duh Lexus.
Maybe it depends on the German dealerships as I've been to a few here and its the same, good luck finding some red leather..... I got pointed to a used S4 manual

It seems like everything is a sea of grey, silver, white, black with black, grey, beige interiors with the occasional blue........

Lexus allocation has always been iffy and it seems dealerships have NO INTEREST in being experts in the F-sport program.

Old 05-07-13, 06:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Maybe it depends on the German dealerships as I've been to a few here and its the same, good luck finding some red leather..... I got pointed to a used S4 manual

It seems like everything is a sea of grey, silver, white, black with black, grey, beige interiors with the occasional blue........

Lexus allocation has always been iffy and it seems dealerships have NO INTEREST in being experts in the F-sport program.
If I look at my offsite lot, all it is, is nebula gray, silver lining and obsidian which make up about 90% the colors, then a handful red, blue and cashmere exteriors.
Old 05-07-13, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If I look at my offsite lot, all it is, is nebula gray, silver lining and obsidian which make up about 90% the colors, then a handful red, blue and cashmere exteriors.
Wow thats crazy.

Anywho...a Lexus version of the FRS would be an easy fix

Old 05-08-13, 01:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Wow thats crazy.

Anywho...a Lexus version of the FRS would be an easy fix
Lexus versions of iQ, Yaris, FRS then CTh sedan and Prius v, small SUV, then NX, RC coupe and larger Coupe.... 7 seat unibody SUV....

is that all? Thats on MY list

:-)
Old 05-08-13, 05:47 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And that's exactly the bean counter mentality that Akio is trying to get away from. This all-about-profit mentality you're trying to defend is what has stopped Lexus from growing further as a premium brand and Akio knows that. It's the Toyota brand's mission to be profittable, while the Lexus brand's mission should be to provide a halo for the company. Lexus needs to offer more expressive and individualized options, trim levels and variants in their premium models in order to be seen to be more premium and less cookie cutter. We're not talking about models that are covered by the "9 million per year" Toyota-branded cookie cutter units they sell, but actual premium vehicles that fit into individual tastes. Give people the options and variants they want and they'll pay a premium for them and view the brand as a more premium one. This is the one thing that Lexus trails the Germans by a huge margin and I'm sure Akio's right brain already sees that. He just needs to overcome the old-school guys within Toyota.
Lexus needs to be Inspirational brand to allow Toyota to move up to Aspirational brand. This will get people away from the Lexus is just fancy Toyota, to people actually thinking that owning a Toyota is like owning something made by the same people that make Lexus. This will take a long time, but it needs to start, and it seems it has.

Right now Toyota is bread and butter, and Lexus is seen as the way to get more margin out of a high end Toyota. Kind of like buying that same bread, but in a fancy bag at Panera.

Quick Reply: Toyota's car-buff president makes Lexus his pet project