Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche sells more Cayennes than all their other models combined.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 09:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Considering Cayennes start at $49,600 and Escalades start at $63,170 and the X5 starts at $47,500 and X6 starts at $59,800 and the Range Rover Sport is at 61-63k. It is priced well to sell. Granted these are base prices and top models cost much more but you get the point.
Yeah, but that is literally "base" which seemingly don't exist. The CT is touted to start at $29K but there are none, and with Porsche and BMW, options add up easy. I don't know anyone with a Cayenne worth less than $60K
Old 05-02-13, 10:34 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoovey come down to TX!

You will literally laugh at all the people who are driving the base Cayennes. A few of my friends/coworkers have em.

It becomes obvious they are just buying the badge when they tell me they didn't get the sport trim because they "dont like that big squiggly S messing up the Cayenne name".
Old 05-03-13, 12:19 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah, but that is literally "base" which seemingly don't exist. The CT is touted to start at $29K but there are none, and with Porsche and BMW, options add up easy. I don't know anyone with a Cayenne worth less than $60K
Yea... I have never shopped for a Cayenne so that is probably true. I (probably like many) have a friend that recently bought one for his wife. I wanna say it was base because he said he spent just a little over 60 but thats canadian and I think our base starts at 58k.

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Hoovey come down to TX!

You will literally laugh at all the people who are driving the base Cayennes. A few of my friends/coworkers have em.

It becomes obvious they are just buying the badge when they tell me they didn't get the sport trim because they "dont like that big squiggly S messing up the Cayenne name".
I agree from my experience but I would not say I laugh at the end of the day these folks paid a decent sum of money. Regardless everyone has their own reason for getting what they got, I really like Cayennes and can appreciate base or turbo S.
Old 05-03-13, 02:00 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

n the January to March period Porsche's revenue was €3,275 million whilst operating profit was €573 million. Divide operating profit by the sales of 37,009 to work out that Porsche makes a staggering €15,482.72 profit on each vehicle. Divide turnover by 37,009 sales to work out each car sold for an average €88,491

Man this just proves how overpriced any Porsche model is. Or more specifically how overpriced the options are on their cars, and how stripped their base models are.(as in every car leaves the factory with about 5-25k worth of options)

More power to them if people are willing to pay the piper, personally I don't see why one would spend $100,000+ on a 911 when you can get better engine placement from a $75,000 Cayman.
Old 05-03-13, 02:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Porsche's are a lot more expensive everywhere than in the US.... also a lot of that revenue and profit comes from parts and servicing as well...
Old 05-03-13, 05:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Considering Cayennes start at $49,600 and Escalades start at $63,170 and the X5 starts at $47,500 and X6 starts at $59,800 and the Range Rover Sport is at 61-63k. It is priced well to sell. Granted these are base prices and top models cost much more but you get the point.
But don't forget that with Porsche, they charge individually for EVERYTHING, an order of magnitude above everyone else (including the other Germans). Want a leather interior? That'll be $1800 for the front seats, another $1200 for the rear seats, $500 for the steering wheel, $300 for the brake lever, $900 for the door panels.... I'm exaggerating to make a point, but they really can get that bad. I remember several years ago configuring a 911 with all the possible leather options (including dash and stuff) and those options alone came up to almost $13k. On the Cayenne specifially, adding "partial leather seats and leather interior" and the memory package (a very middle-of-the-road choice from the interior options list) adds $5400 to the base price. The sport seats and two-tone "natural" leather (I'm assuming that means the $5400 option is fake) bumps this premium up to nearly $8k. The Cayenne costs $80k the way I'd order it, which is a Diesel with Premium (not Premium Plus) and Audio packages, plus Brown "natural" leather. That comes from a base price just $6k higher than the lowest-end model, so it's not just the top-end models that get pricey.

For the ultimate insult, Xenon headlights are a $575 option on the Turbo S, which starts at $150k.

Last edited by geko29; 05-03-13 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-03-13, 07:50 AM
dknn
Rookie

I ended up getting a Cayenne over an RX and mine is the base model, however it had over 21k in options with the most expensive being the 6k for the wheels. Most of the V6 models averaged around 60k+ for a lightly loaded model with the average creature comforts.

Fortunately, I was able to get a good deal as Porsche does not typically heavily discount like BMW and Mercs.
Old 05-03-13, 10:20 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Porsche needs to make a baby Panamera. Like a 3-Series or IS-Line fighter. They have the S5 to utilize as a baseline. That should sell like hotcakes.
isn't that what Audi is for?
Old 05-03-13, 12:28 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Yea... I have never shopped for a Cayenne so that is probably true. I (probably like many) have a friend that recently bought one for his wife. I wanna say it was base because he said he spent just a little over 60 but thats canadian and I think our base starts at 58k.

I agree from my experience but I would not say I laugh at the end of the day these folks paid a decent sum of money. Regardless everyone has their own reason for getting what they got, I really like Cayennes and can appreciate base or turbo S.
No i did not mean laugh at their choice of vehicle. That is a little mean lol.

I was saying the reasoning for not getting the S trim is funny.

I dont find any porsche models beyond the cayman and panamera attractive tho.