Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs. Jetta GLI vs. Jetta TDI vs. Jetta 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 09:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs. Jetta GLI vs. Jetta TDI vs. Jetta 2.5

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...i-vs-25-review

Why compare four Jettas? Simple: The addition of a hybrid model to the lineup gives Volkswagen’s compact sedan one of the most-wide-ranging lists of propulsion choices in the business. Even prior to the gasoline-electric joining the convoy, the car already offered two naturally aspirated gasoline engines, one turbocharged gasoline engine, and a fuel-thrifty turbo-diesel. There’s no pure electric version, natural-gas burner, or plug-in hybrid—yet—but the array is nevertheless impressively comprehensive.

Not only does this collection of Jettas provide an exceptional range of choices, but it also provides an opportunity to compare and contrast essentially the entire propulsion spectrum in one model. (We previously conducted a similar test involving diesel and hybrid VW Touaregs.) In addition to standard performance data, we got the chance to balance cost of ownership—purchase price, fuel-economy ratings, operating cost—against intangibles like driving enjoyment and ecoconsciousness.

We used our regular comparison-test format: instrumented testing plus road driving. As you might expect, this produced identical numbers in several of the scoring categories. This is not surprising, given that the cars are themselves identical in many ways, including chassis and body dimensions, sheetmetal (with minor trim distinctions), and interior volume. Still, there are differences, with some related to engine choice—acceleration and fuel consumption, for example—and others related to a particular model’s mission, such as suspension tuning and tires.

We tried to keep the comparative elements as uniform as possible, which dictated automatic transmissions, since that’s the only choice with the latest Jetta, the hybrid. Unfortunately, Volkswagen couldn’t provide a GLI so equipped, so we made do with a manual version. But all four cars were generally well equipped. Also, we thought testing just one of the naturally aspirated Jettas would be sufficient and omitted the base 2.0-liter version.

Aside from a cruise down Detroit’s famous Woodward Avenue, our test route was a little light on the urban driving that typically favors hybrids. But since this particular hybrid’s EPA mpg strong suit is on the highway side of the ledger, that ended up being a nonissue. Most results were predictable, but there were some revelations, as well as some lessons that can be applied to making choices among other vehicle lines that have a range of propulsion systems. Continued...

Last edited by bagwell; 04-30-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 12:23 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look forward to the entire review when the C/D magazine arrives! VW interiors have to my taste been a weak-spot in recent evaluations - not so much due to quality issues at higher trimlines but rather the absence of varied color and wood palates. A dark drab interior is a complete turn-off regardless of other virtues.
Old 04-30-13, 01:18 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Diesel gets 1mpg better than the hybrid, but the hybrid costs 4 grand more AND requires premium fuel. Whoops.
Old 04-30-13, 02:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Diesel gets 1mpg better than the hybrid, but the hybrid costs 4 grand more AND requires premium fuel. Whoops.
their hybrid sucks anyway, TDI is much better.... according to german media, VW Hybrids get 30% worse real life mpg than Toyota's.
Old 04-30-13, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You'd find me in a Golf before the Jetta, but if I had to choose it would be the TDI hands down
Old 05-01-13, 12:09 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
their hybrid sucks anyway, TDI is much better.... according to german media, VW Hybrids get 30% worse real life mpg than Toyota's.
Between the four, I would lean more towards the TDI versions.

I wouldn't consider the hybrid versions because it's not the forte of VAG to make petrol-hybrids. VAG is more adept and more experienced with diesel engines.

As for gas-hybrids, nope not so much......
Old 05-01-13, 12:39 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Battle of the turds.
Old 05-01-13, 04:22 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Battle of the turds.
Fairly accurate summary. Of the models tested only the GLI has half decent fit and finish. Even then, the ride is bone jarring.
Old 05-01-13, 10:14 AM
LexFather

I honestly can't believe this car isn't bashed to death for its beyond bland looks and its interior. Must get an internet pass.

Old 05-01-13, 10:50 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I honestly can't believe this car isn't bashed to death for its beyond bland looks and its interior. Must get an internet pass.
Car and drivel will shill for anything German. Even it's made in Mexico exclusively for the North American
Old 05-01-13, 10:52 AM
Fly4u
Banned

I had an '03 Jetta TDI, and the best aspect was engine. Overall build quality was atrocious and I dumped it just prior to the warranty expiration. In that era diesel fuel was significantly cheaper than unleaded, and the MSRP differential was roughly 2K; the drivetrain coupled with a 5-speed was an economic no-brainer.
Old 05-03-13, 06:47 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
If it was the Camry, we'd never hear the end of it.
Old 05-03-13, 07:54 PM
doverjxp
Driver School Candidate

You'd find me in a Golf before the Jetta
Old 05-03-13, 09:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doverjxp
You'd find me in a Golf before the
I must be seeing deja vu
Old 05-03-13, 10:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

With diesel fuel costing up to 50 cents more than standard fuel (L.A.), the TDI advantage fades fast.

All interested parties are better off waiting a few more months for the new standard 1.8T.

Quick Reply: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs. Jetta GLI vs. Jetta TDI vs. Jetta 2.5