Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus wins another major handling comparison (this time with the 3IS IS350 f sport)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 09:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It is important to recognize that the 335 is now easily over 50k when you load it with essential options. At that price point it needs to appeal to a broader buyer base, and it only made sense for it to lose some of its harshness and gain some refinement. My wife had a 2010 335 coupe for almost three years, and while it was a ferocious car, with insane throttle and steering responses - it had a punishing ride, its steering was way too quick for comfortable laid back high speed cruising. My wife never took this car for long trips - she drove my GS or our 745 when we still had it on those occasions. When her car was destroyed by Sandy, as much as she liked it, she didn't want to consider getting another 335 because of those drawbacks.

BMW still has the 1 series, and they can keep that as their hardcore model. The 3 series is now a more grown up car, and rightfully so.
How about that loud scary pothole explosion noise?
Scared the hell out of me the first couple of times.
Old 04-29-13, 10:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It is important to recognize that the 335 is now easily over 50k when you load it with essential options. At that price point it needs to appeal to a broader buyer base, and it only made sense for it to lose some of its harshness and gain some refinement. My wife had a 2010 335 coupe for almost three years, and while it was a ferocious car, with insane throttle and steering responses - it had a punishing ride, its steering was way too quick for comfortable laid back high speed cruising. My wife never took this car for long trips - she drove my GS or our 745 when we still had it on those occasions. When her car was destroyed by Sandy, as much as she liked it, she didn't want to consider getting another 335 because of those drawbacks.

BMW still has the 1 series, and they can keep that as their hardcore model. The 3 series is now a more grown up car, and rightfully so.

sure, but article points out that Lexus has better ride while being sportier - so it is both, at the same time... thats sophisticated suspension, used to be winning point for BMW, and now it is the opposite.
Old 04-29-13, 10:09 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

1 series is a toy car...too small. They have a car for non-hard core 3 series fans..the 328 and the ride is awesome. Or you can get the 335 without the sport package which calms the rides down. The f30 made too many compromises...they need better options on their suspension options for sure. Obviously, the IS350 did a much better job this time around as the F sport seems to cater to enthusiasts while the regular suspension is nice and comfy.
Old 04-29-13, 10:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
1 series is a toy car...too small. They have a car for non-hard core 3 series fans..the 328 and the ride is awesome. Or you can get the 335 without the sport package which calms the rides down. The f30 made too many compromises...they need better options on their suspension options for sure. Obviously, the IS350 did a much better job this time around as the F sport seems to cater to enthusiasts while the regular suspension is nice and comfy.
Those who are looking for a very sporty car are probably not looking for a sedan anyway. And 1 series coupe is very comparable in size to the 3 series coupe. My only beef with the 1 series is its looks - I just don't like its proportions. Otherwise, on the interior it feels almost identical to the 3 series. I have not yet bought a car for myself after losing my GS to Sandy, and the 1 series is on the list of cars I'm considering, along with BRZ, used S2k and used Cayman.
Old 04-29-13, 10:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
sure, but article points out that Lexus has better ride while being sportier - so it is both, at the same time... thats sophisticated suspension, used to be winning point for BMW, and now it is the opposite.
And this is great news for Lexus, they are doing excellent job with their new models. I only with they would speed up their development and offer more variations. They really need coupes, convertibles, V8 and F models (not F sport) and a proper SUV. There is simply nothing from Lexus at this point that does it for me and that I would buy. Since this is a thread about the new IS - they did an excellent job with steering, suspension and interior, but they still need to offer a coupe variant and a slight bump in power would be very welcome as well.
Old 04-29-13, 01:47 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Could it be that the recent comparos with the 3/5 series result in BMW losses because they are equipping the 335s/535s instead of 320s/528s?

I think the bigger engines would lead to more mass, thus resulting in worse handling. I wonder if the difference would be significant/noticeable in comparing the smaller engines with competitors.

Either way, good job Lexus.
It's not just 100 lbs heavier, the location of the weight matters. A heavier nose reduces rear wheel traction, as well as increases momentum - meaning it takes more energy to rotate the car.

More traction needed to turn the car with less traction available means the car will understeer relative to the 328i, which is what is seen to happen.

Same issue in the IS250 vs IS350, although no one ever complained much because the 2IS wasn't ever a serious contender in driving dynamics to the E90.
Old 04-29-13, 02:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
And this is great news for Lexus, they are doing excellent job with their new models. I only with they would speed up their development and offer more variations. They really need coupes, convertibles, V8 and F models (not F sport) and a proper SUV. There is simply nothing from Lexus at this point that does it for me and that I would buy. Since this is a thread about the new IS - they did an excellent job with steering, suspension and interior, but they still need to offer a coupe variant and a slight bump in power would be very welcome as well.
RC is coming we know that... it will be year after IS most likely, just like how germans do it.
Old 04-29-13, 04:24 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having been a former owner of two Lexes, and chose to purchase the 2010 IS350 over the 335i and S4 about 3 years ago and now own a 335i, I'll give my thoughts on this...

The 335i won by one point. That is all. I think making it sound decisive is plain silly. The Lexus won due to better subjective ratings, whereas the 3IS fell short on objective ratings in most areas. I am a little disappointed that the 3IS doesn't have a power increase and hit a 14.0 in the QM. I see that as a big let down for prospective buyer. I hit 13.6 in my 2IS on a very hot day in NC. Let's face it, "fast" sells well, IMHO. You'll notice the people on the BMW forum (link posted on the first page of this thread, I think) care more about the 13.3 @ 105 than the comments about handling.

I also wonder which handling package the 335i M-sport had. It may have had just the M-Sport suspension, or the Dynamic Handling Package, which is an added option. The DHP seems to address and correct the issues they mentioned in the analysis. Seeing how the 335i was priced as tested, I believe it was without. There have been multiple tests where the 335i scored over .90 on the skidpad. Just something to keep in mind.

Overall, Lexus is going in an interesting direction. I think it is great in the performance aspect, which was obviously aimed at BMW, and is doing excellent. It's good to know Lexus cares about feedback and can make a better product... but dropping the IS-F has me puzzled. Weird. Honestly, I like my 335i more than I liked my IS350. It really isn't even that close. It is that good. I never really understood until I drove it extensively. However, I would take an IS-F over an M3 any day of the week. It is just too cool. Maybe I am just plain weird.

Congrats to the 3IS. I know it will excellent for years to come. The front of the 3IS looks two generations ahead of my 335i. I can't wait to drive one. I'll be interested in what it runs in the lightning lap. Enjoy future 3IS owners. If any of you are in the Augusta, GA area and want to compare, I'd love to meet up and check it out. Lexus owners, I'm sure, will continue to be awesome- as they always are.
Old 04-29-13, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbayse99
Having been a former owner of two Lexes, and chose to purchase the 2010 IS350 over the 335i and S4 about 3 years ago and now own a 335i, I'll give my thoughts on this...

The 335i won by one point. That is all. I think making it sound decisive is plain silly. The Lexus won due to better subjective ratings, whereas the 3IS fell short on objective ratings in most areas. I am a little disappointed that the 3IS doesn't have a power increase and hit a 14.0 in the QM. I see that as a big let down for prospective buyer. I hit 13.6 in my 2IS on a very hot day in NC. Let's face it, "fast" sells well, IMHO. You'll notice the people on the BMW forum (link posted on the first page of this thread, I think) care more about the 13.3 @ 105 than the comments about handling.

I also wonder which handling package the 335i M-sport had. It may have had just the M-Sport suspension, or the Dynamic Handling Package, which is an added option. The DHP seems to address and correct the issues they mentioned in the analysis. Seeing how the 335i was priced as tested, I believe it was without. There have been multiple tests where the 335i scored over .90 on the skidpad. Just something to keep in mind.

Overall, Lexus is going in an interesting direction. I think it is great in the performance aspect, which was obviously aimed at BMW, and is doing excellent. It's good to know Lexus cares about feedback and can make a better product... but dropping the IS-F has me puzzled. Weird. Honestly, I like my 335i more than I liked my IS350. It really isn't even that close. It is that good. I never really understood until I drove it extensively. However, I would take an IS-F over an M3 any day of the week. It is just too cool. Maybe I am just plain weird.

Congrats to the 3IS. I know it will excellent for years to come. The front of the 3IS looks two generations ahead of my 335i. I can't wait to drive one. I'll be interested in what it runs in the lightning lap. Enjoy future 3IS owners. If any of you are in the Augusta, GA area and want to compare, I'd love to meet up and check it out. Lexus owners, I'm sure, will continue to be awesome- as they always are.
pretty sure they mention that 335i had "optional package" for handling... it also had potenza's vs turanzas n F-Sport... :-).

they didnt drop F either... waiting for new gen... just like we are still waiting for new M3 and 4 series.

BMW was long heralded for having sophisticated suspensions that were both supple and hard at the same time... this is how 3 and 5 series won many comparo's in the past vs for instance Lexus, that didnt do hard suspensions well since you could feel every bump with them... now these days it is Lexus that has sophisticated suspension.

Pretty much all changed when Toyoda came into power, and with updated IS-F's.... then all new GS and now all new IS. That platform seems to be awesome.

Now I do hope they make their NX as good in its class as well.
Old 04-29-13, 05:21 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
pretty sure they mention that 335i had "optional package" for handling... it also had potenza's vs turanzas n F-Sport... :-).

they didnt drop F either... waiting for new gen... just like we are still waiting for new M3 and 4 series.

BMW was long heralded for having sophisticated suspensions that were both supple and hard at the same time... this is how 3 and 5 series won many comparo's in the past vs for instance Lexus, that didnt do hard suspensions well since you could feel every bump with them... now these days it is Lexus that has sophisticated suspension.

Pretty much all changed when Toyoda came into power, and with updated IS-F's.... then all new GS and now all new IS. That platform seems to be awesome.

Now I do hope they make their NX as good in its class as well.
I read that too... The M-sport package does have the M-sport suspension which is an option as well.
Old 04-29-13, 05:44 PM
LexFather

If I recall the IS 350 lost by 1 point to the BMW is C&D so both were close (last gen).

Again it's great press for Lexus and they truly are offering sport (as Caddy) and not just saying it. I'm really interested in driving it now.

Old 04-29-13, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Damn iPhone typos!!!!

Old 04-29-13, 07:50 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99

What's most telling is the slalom speed. The IS350 despite poorer skidpad, poorer braking, lesser performance tires still decisively trounced the BMW on the slalom. That speaks to a better stiffer more responsive chassis in the IS.

For years, BMW owners have crowed about the "magical BMW feel" that "transcends" numbers. This time the shoe is on the other foot. The 3 series has lost that subjective feel according to the consensus feedback of the C & D editors and also lost the objective slalom handling numbers.

This focus by the 3 series owners on the straightline performance numbers of the 335i strikes me like they're using horsepower as a consolation prize for a flawed driving machine.
Old 04-29-13, 08:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the estimated price for the IS in that test was $49k, but with the official pricing a IS350 F Sport + Navi/ML is $46.3k. Then you notice in the test the 335 is $51.5k

The big thing is the adjustable suspension. Want a more luxurious ride? Keep it in normal. Want a sporty ride? Sport+ time. Being able to change whenever you want is an amazing feature.
Old 04-29-13, 09:48 PM
LexFather

Pricing also won't be 49k as they stated, more around 46k. Really good price considering all the upgrades in most areas.

Quick Reply: Lexus wins another major handling comparison (this time with the 3IS IS350 f sport)