Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
When I got a 325i in 2005, I asked if the car was coming from Germany or South Africa. But then again, I'm not the typical buyer.
9 years ago... you'd still do that today?
Old 10-12-14, 08:54 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
9 years ago... you'd still do that today?
Yes, if the car is manufactured in different countries. Just like I will never buy wheels from China.
Old 10-12-14, 09:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Speaking of BMW, it was interesting that the Rosslyn plant in South Africa won the J.D Powers European Gold Plant Quality Award back in 2002. It was the 2nd highest rated plant in the world at the time.

Interesting enough, I browsed through the BMW forum and find that many owners have had more issues with their German-built car than one from South Africa. Many others noticed no different in quality. Only a handful of die-hard BMW guys claims the cars coming out from Munich are vastly superior.
Old 10-12-14, 09:27 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Speaking of BMW, it was interesting that the Rosslyn plant in South Africa won the J.D Powers European Gold Plant Quality Award back in 2002. It was the 2nd highest rated plant in the world at the time.

Interesting enough, I browsed through the BMW forum and find that many owners have had more issues with their German-built car than one from South Africa. Many others noticed no different in quality. Only a handful of die-hard BMW guys claims the cars coming out from Munich are vastly superior.
I did the same and some claim their problems were due to the car being manufactured in S.A. Had my car for 3 years and zero problems. But then again, BMW are not known for their reliability. Like I said, perception is a powerful tool.
Old 10-13-14, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, if the car is manufactured in different countries. Just like I will never buy wheels from China.
Just walk into almost any department store. You buy just about everything else from China.

I agree with you about imported food from China...which is often tainted, but we really don't get many, if any vehicles here in the U.S., manufactured in China, to compare as a basis.
Old 10-13-14, 07:48 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

I didn't say I wouldn't buy anything from china, just specifically rims.
Old 10-13-14, 07:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Lets say a company that you know makes really high quality rims, who's rims you had owned before, that you trust would not choose to allow their quality to be compromised because of where they were manufactured started making rims in China...would you stop buying their rims?

And again...we're talking about the US, not China.
Old 10-13-14, 08:11 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Lets say a company that you know makes really high quality rims, who's rims you had owned before, that you trust would not choose to allow their quality to be compromised because of where they were manufactured started making rims in China...would you stop buying their rims?

And again...we're talking about the US, not China.
Simple answer: yes.

If the Corvette plant gets relocated to India due to cheap labor, would that bother you that this Chevy is no longer made in America?
Old 10-13-14, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It wouldn't bother me that a Corvette or a Chevy was no longer made in America, no. However, I don't know that I would trust that GM cares enough about quality to ensure that vehicles made in India were of the same quality as those made in the US. I trust Toyota...and certainly for the first Lexus made in the US and their entry level car which is a huge source of sales...I trust them to get production right here.

Again...we're talking about the US...not India or China here.
Old 10-13-14, 08:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

The only real problem I've encountered when a product's production was moved to another country, was Beck's beer. They now brew the US version in St. Louis. It shares almost no resemblance to the German version.

More on topic, my wife's 2010 CR-V was built in Japan. They also sold/sell models built in the US. Will Lexus only sell the US built version, or will they mix in some from Japan, like Honda does?
Old 10-13-14, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
More on topic, my wife's 2010 CR-V was built in Japan. They also sold/sell models built in the US. Will Lexus only sell the US built version, or will they mix in some from Japan, like Honda does?
My guess is that at first there will be a mix of Japanese and US built ES's, but that once production is up and quality is to spec, all US sold ES's will come from Kentucky. Its like the RX, at first it was a mix of Canadian and Japanese cars but more and more cars sold here are built in Canada. Economically, it just makes sense. I'd be interested to know if there are still Japanese built CR-Vs being sold in 2014...if so I bet its almost all US/Canada built now.

This is an example of Gov't tariffs working for us actually. These plants are going to mean a lot of good paying American jobs.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-13-14 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 08:54 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

It wouldn't bother me that a Corvette or a Chevy was no longer made in America, no. However, I don't know that I would trust that GM cares enough about quality to ensure that vehicles made in India were of the same quality as those made in the US. I trust Toyota...and certainly for the first Lexus made in the US and their entry level car which is a huge source of sales...I trust them to get production right here.

Again...we're talking about the US...not India or China here.

Yes, I know we are talking about the US. These countries are just analogies to products being outsourced. Sheesh.

For the record, I don't support what Akachan LS stated. I would never by an ES, not because it's made in the US. I would consider the RX. The ES is a volume seller so I don't think consumers know or care. As a former 3 series owner, I do know that true BMW enthusiasts do care where their car comes from. And the 3 series is BMW's volume seller. Those just trying to get into the brand probably neither know or care. For the record, I know we are not talking about BMWs. It's just an analogy.

There's certain products that matter where they come from. Some people feel that way...and I am one of them. It has nothing to do with the the culture of the workers on the assembly line. I would not buy a Corvette if it wasn't made in the US. I would not buy an Italian suit if it's not made in Italy. I would not buy a Swiss watch if it's not made in Switzerland. I would not buy an RCF if it was made in the US.
Old 10-13-14, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As a former 3 series owner, I do know that true BMW enthusiasts do care where their car comes from. And the 3 series is BMW's volume seller.
True BMW enthusiasts posting on forums care. How many of those many 3 Series that are sold are driven by people who are enthusiasts AND post on forums? Very few.

The friend of mine with the 335 and the X5 is a huge BMW fan. She's done european delivery, she's owned many of them. She didn't care at all about her X5 being built in SC.

In this day and age, people don't really care.
Old 10-13-14, 09:05 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

True BMW enthusiasts posting on forums care. How many of those many 3 Series that are sold are driven by people who are enthusiasts AND post on forums? Very few.

The friend of mine with the 335 and the X5 is a huge BMW fan. She's done european delivery, she's owned many of them. She didn't care at all about her X5 being built in SC.

In this day and age, people don't really care.
That's why I said "certain" products. I bet she would not buy an M3 if it was built in the US. I could be wrong.
Old 10-13-14, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

She'd never buy an M3, but knowing her I don't think she would care.

Quick Reply: Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA