Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
Wow you really think so? I totally disagree. BTW you don't know what I know. I think that you have very little knowledge on the matter. I have been an auto fanatic for at least the last 20 years and have been with Toyota vehicles for at least 25 years. Like I said, I see what goes on here in the US every day.
LOL, you think all of us haven't been Auto fanatics for 20 years, and many of us haven't owned Toyta vehicles for 25 years?

Like I said, get the data to prove your position and post it. Reliability data is easy to come by, it should be very clear if there was a drop in quality when production shifted out of Japan. With nothing to back up what you're saying you're just wasting bandwidth.
Old 10-12-14, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I have been an auto fanatic for at least the last 20 years and have been with Toyota vehicles for at least 25 years.

I grew up during the 1980s when "Made in Japan" or "Japan Incorporated" meant an obsession with quality and perfectionism, thus Lexus' motto for the "Relentless Persuit of Perfection".
(Respectfully), I've got some news for you.

I, too, am a long-time auto owner and reviewer (dating back to the 1960s). And I can tell you that, while the Japanese-designed vehicles of the 1980s were generally head and shoulders in quality above their poorly-built American counterparts, they were not defect-free by any means. Some of them had significant problems. Honda Accords had rust-out front fenders, with big holes in them, that led to a massive replace/repaint campaign by the manufacturer.....many Accords had brand-new, freshly-painted front fenders on them while the rest of the car deteriorated. Early Subarus, like Hondas, could often be identified by rust holes and corrosion. Mazda RX-7 rotary engines flooded out and smoked up a storm on cold starts, used both gas and oil like it was going out of style, and wore out prematurely from weak apex-tip seals. The Honda CVCC engine, which was the first engine to meet advanced American emissions standards without a catalyst and unleaded fuel, was so cantankerous that you had to let it idle for long periods on a cold start and almost completely warm up before you could let out the clutch or put it in gear without stalling. Almost all of the Japanese-designed carburetors of the period, on piston engines, ran so lean that they surged and lacked response even when fully-warm. Synchronizers on manual transmissions were another often-weak point on Japanese-designed cars of the time, resulting in premature wear and gear-grinding/crunching if you didn't heel/toe shift or double-clutch. The Japanese suspensions of the period, even with very tall-profile tires by today's standards, typically tossed you up and down over bumps like a yo-yo. Sound insulation was so lacking that some vehicles buzzed/echoed with noise inside like a drum. Toyota pick-up beds constantly rusted out along the exact same attachment-line just above the rear tires......but that was more a result of them being shipped from the Japanese factories with just the cab/chassis and the beds then welded on aftermarket here at the West Coast docking-point.....that was done to legally get around the 25% tariff on imported whole trucks. The crappy welding, which allowed early bed-rust, was actually more of an American problem than the Japanese.

Anyhow, without taking all day, my point is that simply having a "Made in Japan" label, even during the 1980s when many Americans (myself being one of them) turned to Japanese cars in an effort to escape Detroit's notorious junk, was no guarantee of defect-free ownership....and factory warranties back then were only 1/12 on the average.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 06:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So far I've counted 12 members vs 1 and the latter still doesn't get it
Old 10-12-14, 07:00 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe he's a traditionalist. He wants his Japanese car made in Japan. A lot of bimmer guys prefer their cars manufactured in Germany and would scoff if their cars were built elsewhere. Even perceived build quality from Japan would make some buyers more comfortable about their purchase.
Old 10-12-14, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by obturator
Maybe he's a traditionalist. He wants his Japanese car made in Japan. A lot of bimmer guys prefer their cars manufactured in Germany and would scoff if their cars were built elsewhere. Even perceived build quality from Japan would make some buyers more comfortable about their purchase.
BMW, though, doesn't seem to have much trouble selling the Z3 and Z4 models that they build in Greer, SC.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-14 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 07:18 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW, though, doesn't seem to have much trouble selling the Z3 and Z4 models that they build in Greer, SC.
How do you think m3/m4 fanatics would feel if their cars were manufactured in Greer? Just asking.
Old 10-12-14, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How do you think m3/m4 fanatics would feel if their cars were manufactured in Greer? Just asking.
You'd probably have to ask them yourself for a specific answer, but I personally don't see anything wrong with Ms also being built there.

Actually, the last post I made (my bad) was not totally correct. I forgot that the 2Gen Z4 production (including the Z4's M coupe) was transferred to Germany. The Greer/Spartanburg site now produces a number of the SUVs.
Old 10-12-14, 07:50 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I've noticed that an increasing number of BMW's are built in South Africa and Porches built in Finland. Just because you bought a German brand does not mean it was built in Germany. Most of the Mercedes SUV's are built in the quaint German town of Mobile, Alabama.
Steve
Old 10-12-14, 08:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Car enthusiasts would go nuts!

But since we're talking about an ES350, are people really going notice? It's not like many ES owners will ask their salesman whether their cars were built in America or Japan. Most will buy it based on reputation and then move along with their purchase. The Lexus RX continues to sell like crazy whether it's made in Japan or Canada. That right there should be an indication.
Old 10-12-14, 08:23 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Perception is a powerful tool. If given a choice, as a buyer, would you prefer your Lexus be built in Japan or America? Would you prefer your suits be tailored in Italy, your shoes in England, your watches in Switzerland or all manufactured in America?
Old 10-12-14, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I honestly wouldn't care. A mass produced car is not the same as a hand tailored suit or a hand made watch.
Old 10-12-14, 08:35 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I honestly wouldn't care. A mass produced car is not the same as a hand tailored suit or a hand made watch.
I agree with you....on a mass produced car.
Old 10-12-14, 08:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I haven't come across an RX owner who even posed the question to their dealer, nor were they ever given the chance to choose. They bought the thing and never looked back. Wouldn't be any different for prospective ES buyers.
Old 10-12-14, 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I grew up during the 1980s when "Made in Japan" or "Japan Incorporated" meant an obsession with quality and perfectionism, ...
while lexus was launched at the END of the 1980s, my first car was a (then new) 1983 honda prelude. great car in many ways but it wasn't fuel injected (while many gm and other cars were) and so i learned that in cold winters that carburetor (no doubt made in japan with 'an obsession to quality and perfectionism') froze like a cheap beer in a meat locker. the starter would struggle even with a fresh battery and the steering would whine like no other, and water would get in the trunk. but i did love that car...
Old 10-12-14, 08:48 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

When I got a 325i in 2005, I asked if the car was coming from Germany or South Africa. But then again, I'm not the typical buyer.

Quick Reply: Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA