Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 09:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My guess is that at first there will be a mix of Japanese and US built ES's, but that once production is up and quality is to spec, all US sold ES's will come from Kentucky. Its like the RX, at first it was a mix of Canadian and Japanese cars but more and more cars sold here are built in Canada.
So far for the 2014 RX, about 20% were Japanese built, 80% Canadian built. (16k Japan and 60k Canada through Sept. '14, for a YTD total of 76k US sales). So I agree with you, the vast majority of ES sedans will eventually be US built.

My RX is Japan built, but I could not care less whether it was built there or in North America.

Here is a bit of info on the Ontario plant.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/08/2...-plant-canada/
Old 10-13-14, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

JDR interesting... I thought only rxh's were imported from Japan, but guess not.
Old 10-19-14, 11:16 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Good news, more jobs for Americans and hopefully more money able to be put in the ES.

It hardly ever matters what country is building a car, Japanese workers are no better at putting a part on then ones from the US or Germany. Are German or British workers substandard because cars from their factories tend to have a lot of reliability/durability issues? It is the standards and tolerances that are designed into a car that matter. Reliability and fit and finish issues stem from poor design and substandard tolerances/design. Have you ever had a issue with your car that just stemmed from a bolt not being tightened enough or a piece not being fitted in properly from some guy at the factory, very unlikely, even if it was it would be easy and cheap to fix, it was likely do to a poorly designed part, cheap materials, or looser tolerances. There have been plenty of cars made in Japan that were not known for reliability and had quality issues like the G35, 350Z, RAV4. Mazda 929, rotary engine, Millenia, 3rd Gen GS, last 2 generations of ES, IS250 with carbon buildup issues, etc. Don't just blame the country of origin. Honda Accords, Acura TL's, Toyota Camry's, etc are incredibly well built and reliable, they have always been at the top.

It would not be an issue to me in buying a Lexus ES whether it is made in the US, Canada, or Japan.
Old 10-19-14, 12:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Good news, more jobs for Americans and hopefully more money able to be put in the ES.

It hardly ever matters what country is building a car, Japanese workers are no better at putting a part on then ones from the US or Germany. Are German or British workers substandard because cars from their factories tend to have a lot of reliability/durability issues? It is the standards and tolerances that are designed into a car that matter. Reliability and fit and finish issues stem from poor design and substandard tolerances/design. Have you ever had a issue with your car that just stemmed from a bolt not being tightened enough or a piece not being fitted in properly from some guy at the factory, very unlikely, even if it was it would be easy and cheap to fix, it was likely do to a poorly designed part, cheap materials, or looser tolerances. There have been plenty of cars made in Japan that were not known for reliability and had quality issues like the G35, 350Z, RAV4. Mazda 929, rotary engine, Millenia, 3rd Gen GS, last 2 generations of ES, IS250 with carbon buildup issues, etc. Don't just blame the country of origin. Honda Accords, Acura TL's, Toyota Camry's, etc are incredibly well built and reliable, they have always been at the top.

It would not be an issue to me in buying a Lexus ES whether it is made in the US, Canada, or Japan.
Very open minded
Old 10-19-14, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by udel
good news, more jobs for americans and hopefully more money able to be put in the es.

It hardly ever matters what country is building a car, japanese workers are no better at putting a part on then ones from the us or germany. Are german or british workers substandard because cars from their factories tend to have a lot of reliability/durability issues? It is the standards and tolerances that are designed into a car that matter. Reliability and fit and finish issues stem from poor design and substandard tolerances/design. Have you ever had a issue with your car that just stemmed from a bolt not being tightened enough or a piece not being fitted in properly from some guy at the factory, very unlikely, even if it was it would be easy and cheap to fix, it was likely do to a poorly designed part, cheap materials, or looser tolerances. There have been plenty of cars made in japan that were not known for reliability and had quality issues like the g35, 350z, rav4. Mazda 929, rotary engine, millenia, 3rd gen gs, last 2 generations of es, is250 with carbon buildup issues, etc. Don't just blame the country of origin. Honda accords, acura tl's, toyota camry's, etc are incredibly well built and reliable, they have always been at the top.

It would not be an issue to me in buying a lexus es whether it is made in the us, canada, or japan.
+1.........
Old 01-09-15, 01:39 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Lexus ES300h Review

Lexus has a rather unique position in North America.

It’s the only automaker to offer a full line of premium and luxury vehicles. The Japanese manufacturer battles premium brands like Acura and Buick while also taking on the best German luxury has to offer. But there is one offering that is a bit of a lone wolf in Lexus’ portfolio: the ES hybrid sedan.

FAST FACTS
  • Engine: 2.5 L Atkinson Cycle Four-Cylinder Engine + Electric Motor, 200 HP
  • Transmission: eCVT
  • Fuel economy (US): 40 MPG city, 39 MPG highway, 34 MPG observed average
  • Fuel economy (CDN): 5.8 L/100 km city, 6.1 L/100 km highway, 6.9 L/100 km observed average
  • Price (US): ES300h begins at $41,355 after destination charges, $49,705 as tested
  • Price (CDN): ES300h begins at $45,895 after destination charges, $51,695 as tested

Unique Price, Unique Powertrain

Starting at a base price of $38,745 after destination charges, the front-wheel drive only ES significantly undercuts midsize luxury sedans like the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6. But the ES was never intended to take cars like that on as it lacks their refinement and driving dynamics. The pricing and purpose of the ES lines up better with the Acura TLX or the Buick Lacrosse.

With nearly every option box checked off, my ES300h came in at an as tested price of $49,705 thanks to the inclusion of the navigation/premium audio package, ultra luxury package, intuitive parking assist, HID headlamps, rain sensing wipers and rear cross traffic alert. That keeps it competitive with the newly arrived TLX, but there is one major difference. The Acura and Buick are equipped with a V6 and all-wheel drive, but the ES300h uses a class-exclusive hybrid drivetrain with only two driven wheels.

A Proper Hybrid

It’s true the Lacrosse can be had with GM’s eAssist mild hybrid system, but calling that a real hybrid system is like calling the Lexus RX350 F Sport a sports car. Under the hood of the ES300h is a familiar 2.5-liter Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine paired up to an electric motor. The gasoline engine itself makes 156 hp and 156 lb-ft of torque while the combined system is reported to make 200 hp. In usual Toyota/Lexus hybrid fashion, total torque output numbers are not listed.

But what is known is the ES300h’s 0-60 MPH time. Running on regular grade gasoline, the hybrid Lexus is good for an 8.1 second run up to highway speeds. Three driving modes are available in the ES including ECO, normal and sport. The first two modes feature a large power meter in the gauge cluster beside the speedometer. Although it does not look like it at first glance, the power meter is actually digital and once sport mode is selected, changes into a traditional tachometer.

A Bit of Power, a Lot of Efficiency

Power in sport mode is quite good for a four cylinder hybrid. It surprised me with its responsiveness as the eCVT is quick to build engine speed for maximum acceleration. Hammer the throttle and the ES300h will hold near redline until maximum acceleration is no longer needed. The best part is, sport mode doesn’t automatically impact fuel consumption, as the car is willing to cruise at low RPM even in its more aggressive mode.

Official fuel economy ratings are pegged at 40 MPG city and 39 MPG highway. During my week with the car I was only able to achieve an average of 34 MPG, which can be attributed partially to cold temperatures and the fact the car was fitted with winter tires instead of the more efficient ECO all-seasons.

Refinement Drawn into Question

The ES has never been positioned as a sporty car and that stays true for the current sedan. Wearing relatively skinny 215/55R17 tires, its real mission is to be comfortable and quiet, which is where my complaints begin.

From a ride and comfort standpoint, the ES doesn’t stand out very much from the Toyota Avalon that it shares a platform with. Worse still, I spent a week in the new 2015 Camry right before my stint in the ES300h and I didn’t find much of a discernible difference. It’s not that the ES is that bad, the new Camry is just that good.

The ES doesn’t feel all that substantial either. Lexus kept the weight down to 3,660 lbs. to maximize efficiency, but that also means it feels light, too light. I don’t mean this in a sporty way either, but more so the car feels hollow. Close the driver’s door and there is an unwelcome clang instead of a posh thud. And while I’m on the topic, the engine features a noticeable shutter when firing back up after operating in EV mode; a less than refined feeling in a car that really isn’t supposed to be anything other than comfortable and quiet.

Comfort and Space

The ride quality and refinement of the ES may not separate it from the Avalon and Camry, but the interior does. The materials used are nicer than I remember and are placed in an attractive yet inoffensive layout. My only complaint here is that the plastic Lexus uses on the lower center console feel cheap and that the power rear window shade doesn’t quite fit the entire window.

Space isn’t an issue for passengers as the rear seat easily accommodates adults with a generous 40 inches of legroom. Just be careful in tight parking lots as the large rear doors need a lot of space to fully open. The trunk is less generous as the hybrid battery pack eats into cargo space reducing it to just 12.1 cubic feet, which is actually less than a Ford Fiesta sedan.

The Verdict:

The ES continues to be a bit of a perplexing automobile. In some forms it has direct competitors while in other guises, like the 300h hybrid, it has none. This alone should ensure healthy sales numbers as anyone looking for a fairly large, efficient, premium sedan only has one choice. Still, Lexus needs to further differentiate the ES from its mainstream siblings as currently, it’s hard to recommend one over a fully loaded Toyota Avalon hybrid.

LOVE IT
Efficiency
Space
Comfort

LEAVE IT
Lacks that Lexus refinement
Trunk space
Engine shutter
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...-es300h-review
Old 01-09-15, 07:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...it’s hard to recommend one over a fully loaded Toyota Avalon hybrid
Not in Canada, it isn't, since we do not get the Avalon Hybrid.

LOVE IT
Efficiency - Agreed. Mine uses about two-thirds of the fuel of my 2010 Corolla (a car 2 sizes down) in stop-and-go Toronto highway commuting. It feels great to be able to gently glide down the highway at up to 50km/h (30mph) on the electric motor only.

Space - Absolutely!

Comfort - Agreed.

LEAVE IT
Lacks that Lexus refinement - Cannot say.

Trunk space - Agreed and it does not have the rear-seat passthrough like the Camry Hybrid has.

Engine shutter - Yes, you can feel the engine shudder (not "shutter") if it decides to shut off just as you come to a stop (it seems to do this if the stop is quick and rather sudden).
Old 01-09-15, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The ES doesn’t feel all that substantial either. Lexus kept the weight down to 3,660 lbs. to maximize efficiency, but that also means it feels light, too light. I don’t mean this in a sporty way either, but more so the car feels hollow. Close the driver’s door and there is an unwelcome clang instead of a posh thud.
I agree with the reviewer here. This has been a problem, not only with the ES, but with several other newer Lexus products as well. The tank-like solidness of 90s-vintage Lexus products is (mostly) a thing of the past.
Old 01-09-15, 08:42 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

On a recent ES loaner that I had, I saw the metal side panel of the door vibrate when it shut closed. Didn't know if this was unique to the ES until I did the same to my C class and RX
Old 01-10-15, 07:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

That review states the car under test is UL optioned. The 5th picture shows it's not.

It's missing the cushion extender.