Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 11:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
Like I said, I don't feel that most American workers have the same work ethic and dedication to quality, and I stand by that!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current line of work? Should I avoid everything you're associated with for the fear that you may not have the same work ethic/dedication to quality? Do you go to work knowing you're not putting in 100% effort? Should your customers refuse your service because you're an American? If you're not an American, then I apologize for the assumption.
Old 10-12-14, 07:33 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Narrow-mindedness,? How about calling a Spade a Spade Like I have just done. Not everyone feels as you do. Let's cut throught the BS. The truth hurts. Like I said, I don't feel that most American workers have the same work ethic and dedication to quality, and I stand by that! You are not helping anyone by ignoring this. Not everyone will agree. The only way to make everyone happy is to build some in America and some in Japan.
While I was still working, we got a tour of the Honda factory in Ohio. Part of their quality pitch is that the Japanese system works with virtually any trained work force. Since they are not unionized, any one who does not measure up is dismissed. Quality measurements showed that the US made Accords were every bit as good as the Japanese version. It is the US management style and "system" that needed to be changed to improve quality, not the line workers. Under the Honda system, the workers were motivated to to a good job and given the proper tools and work stations to accomplish their tasks. I have not personally been to the Toyota plant in Kentucky, but I expect it to be similar given the excellent results on Camry production.

My issue with American manufacturers is that they moved their manufacturing out of the US. Many Fords and Lincolns are built in Mexico. "Made in America" is not the same as "Made in the USA".
Steve
Old 10-12-14, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lexus, at least make some of the cars in Kentucky and some of the cars in Japan, like you used to do with the Camry. That way everyone has a real choice. I would not buy a Lexus made in America, because I do not feel that most American workers have the same work ethics as Japanese workers as a result of seeing things at work here all of my life. At least give people a real choice between the two countries.
Wow you have very little knowledge on the matter. There really is no difference where they are built. What matters is the parts and engineering over where a vehicle is assembled.
Old 10-12-14, 11:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Wow you have very little knowledge on the matter. There really is no difference where they are built. What matters is the parts and engineering over where a vehicle is assembled.
well, it matters... just not in Toyota and especially not in Lexus :-)
Old 10-12-14, 12:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, it matters... just not in Toyota and especially not in Lexus :-)
It makes no difference where a Toyota or a Lexus is built . If you follow the blue prints then there should be no difference.

And just so you know, I have had Lexus and Toyota products that were made in Japan, they did have some issues while my American Toyota products did not.
Old 10-12-14, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

It makes no difference where a Toyota or a Lexus is built . If you follow the blue prints then there should be no difference.
Thats actually exactly what he said.
Old 10-12-14, 12:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

And just so you know, I have had Lexus and Toyota products that were made in Japan, they did have some issues while my American Toyota products did not.
you seem to have simplistic take on the matter... i dont think this is the thread to argue semantics.

Vehicles made in different factories from parts made from different factories and even companies, can differ... Toyota has very good QA when it comes to this, and Lexus has even better.

But in general, yeah, they could be big differences.
Old 10-12-14, 12:57 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U guys should create a poll on if given a choice, would u rather have a Japanese built Lexus or an American one? Or it doesn't matter ?
Old 10-12-14, 02:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

To many, it will matter whether the different in quality is there or not. I see many products (especially tools) that used to be made in the USA that are now made in China. Quality remained the same, but you get an uproar from the community to the point where they no longe spend money with the tool company.

A buddy of mine bought two Corollas (on the same day). One was made in Japan and the other in North America. The one from Japan had more issues so far, and it's the one that gets driven lightly with less mileage on the clock. When it comes down to it, many ES owners will not know which factory their cars came out of, nor will they care. They think Lexus so the assumption is that it came from Japan.
Old 10-12-14, 02:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

My guess is when the changeover comes it will barely make a blip on the radar. This gen and the next gen ES will contine to sell very well and be reliable.
Old 10-12-14, 02:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

More often than not, its in the owner's head. I am one to "prefer" things built in other countries. Culture does have an effect on work ethic. It is no argument that Japanese and German culture emphasize on doing things methodically and correct the first time. Even if two vehicles built in different places can have no difference in perceived quality or reliability, I think it is still the buyer's right to prefer one over the other.
Old 10-12-14, 02:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Built in Japan is more of a feel good thing.
Old 10-12-14, 05:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Narrow-mindedness,? How about calling a Spade a Spade Like I have just done. Not everyone feels as you do. Let's cut throught the BS. The truth hurts. Like I said, I don't feel that most American workers have the same work ethic and dedication to quality, and I stand by that! You are not helping anyone by ignoring this. Not everyone will agree. The only way to make everyone happy is to build some in America and some in Japan.
ROFL. just wondering, would you buy a car made in mexico? korea? china? do canadians not have a good work ethic or dedication to quality? how about germany? or is only those born and working in japan that have it?

besides parts and engineering, the process is key.
Old 10-12-14, 05:05 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you really think so? I totally disagree. BTW you don't know what I know. I think that you have very little knowledge on the matter. I have been an auto fanatic for at least the last 20 years and have been with Toyota vehicles for at least 25 years. Like I said, I see what goes on here in the US every day. Bottom line, and it is just my opinion, the work ethic and outlook and culture, when it comes to this between the two countries is night and day. I grew up during the 1980s when "Made in Japan" or "Japan Incorporated" meant an obsession with quality and perfectionism, thus Lexus' motto for the "Relentless Persuit of Perfection". That is all I have to say!
Old 10-12-14, 05:11 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ROFL. just wondering, would you buy a car made in mexico? korea? china? do canadians not have a good work ethic or dedication to quality? how about germany? or is only those born and working in japan that have it?

besides parts and engineering, the process is key.
Look at what I just said above!

Quick Reply: Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA