Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mechanical Engineering student curious about working for tuning shops

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 05:14 PM
SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Engineering student curious about working for tuning shops

I'm sure many people on this website work for their respective local tuning shops. I'm just curious - what are your requirements for hiring mechanics in your shops? Do you prefer those who typically go to trade schools, or do you hire automotive or mechanical engineers? Or do you hire people that have just worked on cars all their lives and know their stuff?

I'm a mechanical engineering student and while I love cars and motorcycles, I dont necessarily want to get an automotive engineering degree and feel that mechanical engineering is a safter bet (safer in terms of job availability in the overall engineering market), but I still enjoy working on cars, and would have no issue, say right out of college, spending a few years working on cars. Would you hire me for my love of cars and the little experience I have working on my motorcycle? I plan on working on my Lexus, but I just haven't had the opportunity to yet.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized this should be posted in the clubhouse.

Last edited by SparksLex; 04-16-13 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 04-16-13, 07:09 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SparksLex
I'm sure many people on this website work for their respective local tuning shops. I'm just curious - what are your requirements for hiring mechanics in your shops? Do you prefer those who typically go to trade schools, or do you hire automotive or mechanical engineers? Or do you hire people that have just worked on cars all their lives and know their stuff?

I'm a mechanical engineering student and while I love cars and motorcycles, I dont necessarily want to get an automotive engineering degree and feel that mechanical engineering is a safter bet (safer in terms of job availability in the overall engineering market), but I still enjoy working on cars, and would have no issue, say right out of college, spending a few years working on cars. Would you hire me for my love of cars and the little experience I have working on my motorcycle? I plan on working on my Lexus, but I just haven't had the opportunity to yet.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized this should be posted in the clubhouse.
I would stay with mechanical engineering, as that's what I did, so I would not be limiting my options, in case I wanted to work outside of the automotive sector. I've been already hired by Jaguar Land Rover and will be returning to Birmingham, England(birthplace), as I met what they were looking for. I initially wanted to study automotive engineering, but it was suggested to me to broaden my chances by going for mechanical instead.
Old 04-16-13, 07:44 PM
SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly did you "meet" of their requirements? I assume a strong background working on your own car, or worked at shops in the past? Congratulations by the way.
Old 04-16-13, 08:49 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not a mod for this forum but I think this topic is fine for Car Chat.

That said, I think a more important question is whether you want to work on cars as a career or a hobby. There are a lot of hobbies I enjoy that I'd never want as a career - and vice versa.
Old 04-16-13, 09:28 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SparksLex
What exactly did you "meet" of their requirements? I assume a strong background working on your own car, or worked at shops in the past? Congratulations by the way.
Thank you, I actually am not allowed to divulge all the reasons of why I was hired. Two of the reasons were my 2 summer internships in Coventry and New Jersey(U.S. HQ) at Jaguar facilities and being native to Birmingham, England.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-16-13 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added "native to "
Old 04-17-13, 04:54 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I was asked to join a local tuner shop around my area, although my background is in electronics and not mechanical. I think most shops now ask for experience on it as well because of how it is fundamental to operation of engine performance these days. Other than that, I think you have to really demonstrate you passion, have the initiative to be inquisitive looking at deep theoretical knowledge, as well as having a somewhat social presence for locals as well as the internet these days. I declined because it was only a hobby and I already had a full time well paid career, but I continued to help out as much as I can.