Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2013 Toyota RAV4

Old 04-20-13, 09:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
in markets where they sell well, they sell really well... All recent models have been big improvements IMHO - Impreza, XV and Forester....
Yup yup.

Does Subaru still participate in the WRC Rallye championship? If so, then you can definitely see the 'rally-roots' of a lot of Subaru products. =)
Old 04-11-14, 04:55 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally drove one of these a few days ago. Business travel rental.

My thoughts on it are pretty much the same as my comment a year ago, almost to the day.

"meh... 10 chars"

The 4-cylinder is a whole lot better than the last generation now with the 6-speed automatic vs the old widely spaced 4-speed. I didn't flog it, but the engine seems smoother than the 2.4L I had driven in the 3rd gen RAV4 prior to them upping it to the 2.5L. Fine in normal driving and not as thrashy. Did not seem nearly as buzzy at my parent's 2012 Camry either, so maybe they're using better motor mounts or extra balance shafts or who knows what? It's more refined which is good, since they took away the V6 option. The best thing for me, is the throttle tip-in is way better now. Did not thoroughly test, but it didn't appear to have any of this nonsensical "90% throttle with 10% pedal travel" bull***** they had before. Did not try the Eco or Sport modes (couldn't even see the button), but that's what the old RAV4 needed so badly and didn't have.

The interior is certainly more modern looking and a much nicer place to be than the old 3rd gen, but it's still awash in super cheap materials and hard plastics. Road and tire noise are also extremely pronounced. I was shocked at how loud it was just cruising down a highway at 55 mph, but I guess this is par for the course.

So overall it's just sorta "here's ours" to me. Improved over the old one yeah, but it's regretful that it doesn't stand out in anyway like the old 3rd gen did with the available 3rd row and V6 engine. At least in my area, they're around, but not selling nearly as well as the CR-V is. Tons of people went for the V6 RAV4 around here and that's gone now. A lot of those old RAV4s are gone (leased maybe?) and they're not getting replaced with the new one. Oh well. Hopefully they'll spruce it up with the refresh and add this turbo engine at some point.
Old 04-11-14, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC

My thoughts on it are pretty much the same as my comment a year ago, almost to the day.

"meh... 10 chars"

The 4-cylinder is a whole lot better than the last generation now with the 6-speed automatic vs the old widely spaced 4-speed. I didn't flog it, but the engine seems smoother than the 2.4L I had driven in the 3rd gen RAV4 prior to them upping it to the 2.5L. Fine in normal driving and not as thrashy. Did not seem nearly as buzzy at my parent's 2012 Camry either, so maybe they're using better motor mounts or extra balance shafts or who knows what? It's more refined which is good, since they took away the V6 option. The best thing for me, is the throttle tip-in is way better now. Did not thoroughly test, but it didn't appear to have any of this nonsensical "90% throttle with 10% pedal travel" bull***** they had before. Did not try the Eco or Sport modes (couldn't even see the button), but that's what the old RAV4 needed so badly and didn't have.

The interior is certainly more modern looking and a much nicer place to be than the old 3rd gen, but it's still awash in super cheap materials and hard plastics. Road and tire noise are also extremely pronounced. I was shocked at how loud it was just cruising down a highway at 55 mph, but I guess this is par for the course.

So overall it's just sorta "here's ours" to me. Improved over the old one yeah, but it's regretful that it doesn't stand out in anyway like the old 3rd gen did with the available 3rd row and V6 engine. At least in my area, they're around, but not selling nearly as well as the CR-V is. Tons of people went for the V6 RAV4 around here and that's gone now. A lot of those old RAV4s are gone (leased maybe?) and they're not getting replaced with the new one. Oh well. Hopefully they'll spruce it up with the refresh and add this turbo engine at some point.
Ahead of the shifter, vertical, to the left of the 12V/USB ports and heated seats

Old 04-11-14, 05:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

"meh... 10 chars"

Rav4 is now definitely your typical Toyota SUV.... Camry of SUVs i guess. It is certainly better than before, but also does not try to be anything else (unlike before). They actually have record sales in NA right now, cant produce enough of them. They might beat their old record from 2007 by some 50% in 2014.

I guess for people wanting more, there is NX. With entry price possible of $5k extra (to top spec Rav), you get better engine and interior, less equipment.

I dont know about super cheap, I was recently in X1 and it didnt seem anything better at base level (and nobody here buys anything but base), and some details were possibly even worse.... it is not bad for $25k SUV. Now Yaris, thats super cheap plastic.
Old 04-11-14, 09:02 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is panorama roof in Rav4 in some markets. Why dont they bring it to NA?
Just hope the NX F Sport to get panorama roof in NA.
Old 04-12-14, 04:36 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Rav4 is now definitely your typical Toyota SUV.... Camry of SUVs i guess. It is certainly better than before, but also does not try to be anything else (unlike before). They actually have record sales in NA right now, cant produce enough of them. They might beat their old record from 2007 by some 50% in 2014.

I guess for people wanting more, there is NX. With entry price possible of $5k extra (to top spec Rav), you get better engine and interior, less equipment.

I dont know about super cheap, I was recently in X1 and it didnt seem anything better at base level (and nobody here buys anything but base), and some details were possibly even worse.... it is not bad for $25k SUV. Now Yaris, thats super cheap plastic.
Ford Escape. Nicer inside and out, and has decent engine options. Also outselling the RAV4. My wife was impressed with a friend's Hyundai recently also.
Old 04-12-14, 08:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Ford Escape. Nicer inside and out, and has decent engine options. Also outselling the RAV4. My wife was impressed with a friend's Hyundai recently also.
Ford SUVs always outsold Rav4 in USA.... doesnt change the fact that Rav4 sales went up considerably with this release, despite lack of options.

Originally Posted by BornDriver
There is panorama roof in Rav4 in some markets. Why dont they bring it to NA?
they are limiting options and pricing so they can sell NX next to it.

It was funny to me that Chinese Rav4 has rear LED lights and beautiful lower bumper package thats missing in Europe and NA... but now that all makes sense if NX will start at 35k with 2.0t and Rav4 ending at $32k with 2.5l engine.
Old 04-12-14, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The new Escape is nicer inside than the RAV4 in some ways, but the back seat is a major exception. Its small size and gross lack of padding make it look and feel like a park bench. I commented on that in my own Escape review.
Old 04-12-14, 09:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

dual moon roof as well.

But of course, in China, Rav4 is produced locally and Lexus NX wont be, which means it will get some 30% extra custom fees.
Old 04-12-14, 09:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

another pic

Old 04-13-14, 01:20 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I loathe the styling of this vehicle. I think it's one of the worst looking crossovers on the road.
Old 04-15-14, 11:28 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I just can't get used to the looks. Previous RAV4 vs the current one is like going from the 1st gen Infiniti FX to the 2nd gen. Muscular and brawny and powerful looking for the prior generation to... feminized and scrawny. It looks wimpy and IT IS wimpy. Fix the rear hatch fine. Fix misc other odds and ends fine. But why eliminate the popular V6 option? I guess Toyota wants me to buy the Venza? I just looked at pricing and a BASE model Venza V6 AWD is $32-freaking-thousand dollars. That's ridiculous. And they don't even offer that model around here with the V6. They market and sell it as more upmarket and the lowest V6/AWD trim you can get is the XLE which STARTS at $36,000. LOL

Sure, it might be selling more than the old model did, but they're still missing out on a lot of sales. The old RAV4 was a nice basic small CUV with some power at $25k or less. Now they want me to spend $10k more. Sorry I'll take my money elsewhere.
Old 04-15-14, 11:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Sure, it might be selling more than the old model did, but they're still missing out on a lot of sales. The old RAV4 was a nice basic small CUV with some power at $25k or less. Now they want me to spend $10k more. Sorry I'll take my money elsewhere.
Could you really get a previous gen V6 for $25k or less? Even my parent's 2012 model, which was a Limited AWD had the 4 cylinder and was $29k. They now have a 2013 with a lot more on it, including navigation and BSM and it was $31k.
Old 04-15-14, 11:54 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Inflation yeah but..... my 2007 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (JBL, cloth seats, moonroof, fogs, painted freaking bumpers, etc) was around $25k MSRP. That's $28k today, not $32-36k.
Old 04-15-14, 12:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I still don't see a $10k increase. Like I said, my folks went from a 2012 to a 2013, and added some features along the way, and the difference was $2k.

Having now driven both the previous model and the new one, pretty much back to back, I find the new one to be a massive improvement. To each his own, though. Like you, I consider the loss of the V6 to be a step in the wrong direction, though they are clearly doing just fine without it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review: 2013 Toyota RAV4