Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ward's 10 Best Interiors released

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-13, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Its not hampering sales, like I said its like they are trying to see how much they can gut the quality of the interior before it does hurt sales.

People want to buy "a Lexus", and thus the entry level Lexus will always sell well, probably whatever they put out. Look at the absolute crap MB has put out in previous C classes, or BMW with previous 3 series. People buy them. People buy clothes from WalMart and Target too, lots of clothes. People go out to a meal at McDonalds too. Lots of people.

My issue is that as a Lexus enthusiast I am sad to see Lexus, a company that was founded on quality over quantity, high grad materials and build over flash and gizmos, get to this point. As I've said before, I don't think there is one Toyota model I would buy. Over the last 10 years or so, especially the last 5 years, Toyota has really become the carmaker that makes the crappiest interior, the cars that feel the most "appliance like". I do not want to see that happen to Lexus. I don't want to see them deliver style and look over substance, and I feel that the 2013 ES is all look and no substance. As an enthusiast of the brand, it makes me angry.

I had a CT loaner a month or so ago too, that made me pretty angry too...
Old 04-20-13, 07:21 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Even Toyota, the Avalon's interior has better materials and the car has more features and technology.
You obviously haven't been in a 2013 Avalon, or else you've only been in a base ES. The Avalon does not have higher quality materials used in their interior. Also, the only feature it has, that I can think of over the ES, is heated rear seats. They seem to use less padding in the front seats, as well. Not nearly as comfortable to drive. You can't get a panoramic sunroof and those cap-touch buttons are stupid and not glove friendly.

As far as Hyundai, GM, Honda, etc... You can have them all. I couldn't even fit comfortably in the Accord. I'm 6' 4", which isn't really big by today's standards, but they don't seem to know that. I have the same problem in my wife's CR-V. They need to allow more seat travel, at the very least. GM, while improving, still makes the worst interiors. If you think the ES uses too much plastic, check out the Lacrosse. I actually came from a Hyundai and the Azera was at the top of my list. Yes, it has more features and is much cheaper than the rest. There's a reason it's cheaper. Drive one and you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-20-13, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I hear this a lot in other forums. Everyone complains interiors are becoming more downmarket. I've personally not noticed it to the extent others have, but I have noticed the following (more psychology here, so get ready)...
As cars become more technically advanced and interiors are crammed with more and more displays, workable buttons, and electronic-related devices, they are giving up their "pretty" surfaces and gaining "mechanical" surfaces. What this means is areas that were once covered in wood, stylish dashboard material, or soft trim, are now covered with hard buttons or levers, shiny plastic displays, or glass screens. All those pieces I listed look like the mechanical devices they are and give up asthetics.

Jumping back to Lexus, we have consistently been getting more screens, more devices, and more electronics added to our interiors (Hey, this is what we all ask for, right?). I believe this is a big reason today's inteiors and dashboards appear cheaper. We are staring at electronics, not at decorative materials. Electronics are not pretty. They are working devices. Having trouble imagining this? A quick look at the area surrounding the gear shift lever is a perfect example. Always used to be surrounded by wood. Today? Now that area has a joystick, buttons, and is surrounded by the protective plastic that houses it. Which looks prettier? Yeah,exactly. That's just one example. Electronics rarely look artful or pretty. The rest of the dash has the same thing going on. We all want the latest and greatest electronics, but it's going to be at the expense of asthetics.
So I'll conclude by saying we are responsible for this transformation. Everyone *****es and complains about having the latest tech stuff. Now that we have it, it's no better looking than our cell phones, DVD players, and ipods.
Some excellent points, Fizzboy. You're correct. I noticed the same things inside you did, but didn't really look at it from that point of view before....that electronics was causing much of it. Still, even despite that, a number of vehicles have recently been able to vastly improve the looks of their cabins while at the same time integrating more electronics. Some good examples are the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dart (an enormous improvement over the old Caliber), Chevy Cruze (likewise over the old Cobalt), Chevrolet Impala, Toyota Avalon, Ford Explorer, Cadillac XTS, Buick Enclave, Chrysler 300, Dodge Durango, and Cadillac CTS. If you notice a pattern here, it is no coincidence. A lot of the most noticeable improvements have come from recent GM and Chrysler vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-13 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-20-13, 09:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
You obviously haven't been in a 2013 Avalon, or else you've only been in a base ES. The Avalon does not have higher quality materials used in their interior. Also, the only feature it has, that I can think of over the ES, is heated rear seats. They seem to use less padding in the front seats, as well. Not nearly as comfortable to drive. You can't get a panoramic sunroof and those cap-touch buttons are stupid and not glove friendly.
I have been in a 2013 Avalon, but I have not driven one. I have driven easily a half dozen different 2013 ES's of all different trim levels as I almost bought a 2013.

There is overall more padded dash and door material on the Avalon than there is on the 2013 ES. You also can only get a panoramic sunroof on the very rare UL model ES approaching $50,000. 95% of ES's do not have a panoramic sunroof.

I actually came from a Hyundai and the Azera was at the top of my list. Yes, it has more features and is much cheaper than the rest. There's a reason it's cheaper. Drive one and you'll see what I mean.
I've driven the Azera, I have driven everything in that class...a couple of times.
Old 04-21-13, 11:35 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
As far as Hyundai, GM, Honda, etc... You can have them all. I couldn't even fit comfortably in the Accord. I'm 6' 4", which isn't really big by today's standards, but they don't seem to know that
Don't be so modest; you are pretty tall

http://ahundredyearsago.com/2012/02/...1912-and-2012/
Originally Posted by the above website
By age, 21, males now are, on average, more than 1 1/2 inches taller than they were a hundred years ago. In 1912 the average 21-year-old male was 68.25 inches (5 feet 8.25 inches) tall. Now the average male in the US is 69.9 inches (5 feet 9.9 inches) tall.
I haven't sat in the newer ES models yet but, can we all agree that, stylistically it is better than the outgoing model?

That being said, the caramel and bamboo combo on the posted pics of the GS are really impressive.
Old 04-21-13, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=trexlexus;7895696
I haven't sat in the newer ES models yet but, can we all agree that, stylistically it is better than the outgoing model?[/QUOTE]

Yes, stylistically I prefer everything about the 2013 except the door panels and how they integrate into the dashboard.
Old 04-21-13, 02:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Its not hampering sales, like I said its like they are trying to see how much they can gut the quality of the interior before it does hurt sales.

People want to buy "a Lexus", and thus the entry level Lexus will always sell well, probably whatever they put out. Look at the absolute crap MB has put out in previous C classes, or BMW with previous 3 series. People buy them. People buy clothes from WalMart and Target too, lots of clothes. People go out to a meal at McDonalds too. Lots of people.

My issue is that as a Lexus enthusiast I am sad to see Lexus, a company that was founded on quality over quantity, high grad materials and build over flash and gizmos, get to this point. As I've said before, I don't think there is one Toyota model I would buy. Over the last 10 years or so, especially the last 5 years, Toyota has really become the carmaker that makes the crappiest interior, the cars that feel the most "appliance like". I do not want to see that happen to Lexus. I don't want to see them deliver style and look over substance, and I feel that the 2013 ES is all look and no substance. As an enthusiast of the brand, it makes me angry.

I had a CT loaner a month or so ago too, that made me pretty angry too...
well, with Avalon, Rav4 and Auris, they are certainly moving in right direction... those cars have nice interiors....

even CT and ES have nice interiors compared to other cars in class. They only suck if you compare them to GS or LS of course.

I have been in new A3 today and even top of the doors are hard plastics.
Old 04-21-13, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, with Avalon, Rav4 and Auris, they are certainly moving in right direction... those cars have nice interiors....

even CT and ES have nice interiors compared to other cars in class. They only suck if you compare them to GS or LS of course.

I have been in new A3 today and even top of the doors are hard plastics.
Seems the middle "class" so to speak is being phased out in cars not just human society. Look at all the low end cars from Luxury automakers. Ones that used to be a few 10K more have the materials of the lower ones, meanwhile the rich get richer. Look at the new S-Class, it's phenomenal vs lower stablemates and not necessary the cheaper ones either. If you want the goods you need the $$$. Otherwise all your paying for is a badge nowadays. BMW interiors anyone?
Old 04-21-13, 02:57 PM
LexFather

I just had an ES loaner and requested it b/c of the complaints by some here. I honestly don't know what is so bad about it and its no worse than the competition. Entry level cars are simply not built like the next class up.

Y'all lost me on the ES... Yes the doors are long and plain and the center console is harder plastic but overall to me it seems like a big step over past ES models.

Old 04-21-13, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Seems the middle "class" so to speak is being phased out in cars not just human society. Look at all the low end cars from Luxury automakers. Ones that used to be a few 10K more have the materials of the lower ones, meanwhile the rich get richer. Look at the new S-Class, it's phenomenal vs lower stablemates and not necessary the cheaper ones either. If you want the goods you need the $$$. Otherwise all your paying for is a badge nowadays. BMW interiors anyone?
on the other hand, I also just saw CLA next to C class.... both brand new (some kind of local car exhibition so got to see various brands)...

Gotta say, CLA looks great live... looks a lot more expensive than crappy C class next to it. And it was $19k more expensive (35%)! I did not get to sit inside as they locked them (lol), but interior looks "shiny" of course, with lots of shiny plastics that might look good when you sit in it once but might wear not so good. Not much leather or anything else thats really nice.
Old 04-21-13, 03:56 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I noticed this when shopping for the GS. There used to be a pretty robust segment in the $38-45k range where you could get a car with a very nice interior, not LS or S-Class nice, but still high quality. Now, there isn't much in that segment anymore. Seems like you have a $35k Accord and a few others, and after that you're talking $50k+. The near luxury market seems to have disappeared.
Old 04-21-13, 04:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats just the thing, the difference didn't used to be so obvious...
Old 04-21-13, 09:01 PM
Hoovey689

on the other hand, I also just saw CLA next to C class.... both brand new (some kind of local car exhibition so got to see various brands)...

Gotta say, CLA looks great live... looks a lot more expensive than crappy C class next to it. And it was $19k more expensive (35%)! I did not get to sit inside as they locked them (lol), but interior looks "shiny" of course, with lots of shiny plastics that might look good when you sit in it once but might wear not so good. Not much leather or anything else thats really nice.
Hell, a $72K BMW 550i I'm looking at doesn't even have leather (has the dakota not the nappa)

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
I noticed this when shopping for the GS. There used to be a pretty robust segment in the $38-45k range where you could get a car with a very nice interior, not LS or S-Class nice, but still high quality. Now, there isn't much in that segment anymore. Seems like you have a $35k Accord and a few others, and after that you're talking $50k+. The near luxury market seems to have disappeared.
Thats just the thing, the difference didn't used to be so obvious...
Yup, the bean counters are really usurping the "luxury" part of Luxury makers - like I said earlier, on many cheaper models you're just paying for a badge now while the interior quality is essentially on par with mainstream makes

Yup, makes me miss that 4th gen ES even more
Old 04-23-13, 12:28 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost all respect for Wards after they included the Dodge Caliber last year.
Old 04-23-13, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I lost all respect for Wards after they included the Dodge Caliber last year.
The Caliber won last year ?? Do you have a link?

Quick Reply: Ward's 10 Best Interiors released